Five things to know about new Rams WR Van Jefferson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Five things to know about new Rams WR Van Jefferson

The Rams used their second draft pick this year on wide receiver Van Jefferson, selecting him 57th overall in the second round. Here are five things you should know about the former Florida standout.

1) Pro football pedigree

Van's father, Shawn Jefferson, played 13 seasons in the NFL and has coached in the league as a wide receivers coach for the Detroit Lions, Tennessee Titans, Miami Dolphins and is currently in his second season with the New York Jets.

In a Sports Illustrated story published last September, former six-time Pro Bowler and three-time first-team All-Pro wide receiver Calvin Johnson called Shawn – whom Van credits for teaching him everything he knows – the best wide receivers coach he's seen in the league.

2) SEC veteran

Jefferson began his career at Mississippi, then went to Florida as a graduate transfer prior to his redshirt junior year.

In 48 total games as a Rebel (2015-17) and a Gator (2018-19), he finished his career with 175 receptions for 2,159 yards and 16 touchdowns.

3) Another Senior Bowl product for the Rams

In the Sean McVay era, Los Angeles has seemed to make the Senior Bowl a crucial part of its evaluation process, and Jefferson is the latest participant to join the Rams.

Others include wide receiver Cooper Kupp, tight end Gerald Everett, safety John Johnson III, offensive lineman Joe Noteboom, cornerback David Long and defensive tackle Greg Gaines. Draft classmates Terrell Lewis, Terrell Burgess, Brycen Hopkins and Tremayne Anchrum also participated in this year's Senior Bowl.

Jefferson earned respect from opposing cornerbacks in Mobile, as he was named one of five South squad offensive practice players of the week at the Senior Bowl – a distinction voted on by the position group they competed against in practice.

4) Potential Day 1 impact player

A couple of weeks before the draft, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah tabbed Jefferson as one of this year's prospects who has the chance to make an impact right away.

5) Future weatherman?

According to his Mississippi bio, Jefferson was a journalism major with an emphasis in broadcast whose goal was to play in the NFL then become a meteorologist.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
He appears pro ready but I don’t know if he can beat out Reynolds for wr3 this year.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He appears pro ready but I don’t know if he can beat out Reynolds for wr3 this year.
From what Ive seen of Reynolds so far, I havent been very impressed. Either I hope Van Jefferson is much better or I hope Reynolds really proves himself and keeps a role for himself.

Realistically as season goes on he’ll probably see the field if there’s an injury.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
For as good as JR looks at practice he leaves a lot to he desired on the field. Not saying he's not a good Wr but there are times he completely disappears for a stretch of games. That can't happen anymore if he's gonna step up. And i still haven't seen him use his 6-4 frame to go over the top. That's not a good sign

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Van Jefferson appears to be MUCH more shifty at the los than anyone currently on the receiving corps for the Rams. He has that innate skill to get a defender to lean, and then use his change of direction to get open. I think it will be hard to keep him off the field.

dang

Legend
I was caught completely off guard by this pick. I thought Jefferson could be had in the 4th round but that was based on what I read verses having any knowledge of who he was. After seeing his highlights and evaluation clips on the web he may be another Cooper Kupp gem ready to play day 1. In McVay we trust.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
The pattern I've noticed, and I might be late with this, is how many players on the team have ties to the NFL (or football in general) through a family member's past experience. It's almost as if it's as important as being the best player at that position; almost as if they are filling the team where they can with "veterans", even with their rookie status, using the experience that said player has gained in their lifetime so far.

No need on focusing on fundamentals as much if they're football IQ is A+. Buy into the program, learn the system and we'll win with skill and smarts. I mean shit, you got Jefferson, Brycen and Johnston alone in this draft. Not to mention Goff & Kupp.

My bad if this was brought up already but it'll be badass to win some meaningful games knowing these youngsters got a leg up on their class, regardless of draft grade.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This is going to be a unique off season where young guys won't get the coaching or classroom time they usually would. Bad year to take on projects who don't understand the details of the game. The smart guys that are lifers will be able to get rolling sooner than later.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The pattern I've noticed, and I might be late with this, is how many players on the team have ties to the NFL (or football in general) through a family member's past experience.

Yes.

Players with a quality head on their shoulders. NE always prioritized that.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

I could see some packages for Reynolds and some for Jefferson, and won't be shocked if there is a lot of time split between those two.

I'm not as down on JR as some here. He's done some good things for us. We know what is limitations are, but he's a decent WR. That being said, Jefferson looks good enough and ready enough to eat into JR's snaps this year.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I have been a fan of VJ for about the past 2 mos. Knowing where we would be picking and trying to think of who might be there ... I got away from looking at the Jeudy's, Lambs' etc. And studying Van Jefferson, I targeted him as a guy I would love the Rams to get. I also was trying to think of a comparison for him ... Bruce, Woods, Kupp just for the detailed route running. But i knew it was something even more comparable, but couldn't get it to jump in my brain. i am also a huge Cal fan ... being I live up here in NorCal, have been to many many many Cal games and try to follow them. Lately I have seen a few compare Jefferson to Keenan Allen .. then it hit me! YES! Fits' him to a tee!
Just had to get that off my chest LOL!
But I would take another Robert Woods....Cooper Kupp.....or even a Keenan Allen

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Regardless of your opinion of him, the player I see a lot of is Chad Ochocinco. That man ran routes like no other. Some of VJ’s (giggity) creativity with his routes is very similar. I think he’s starting opposite Woods by week 6.