Five things to know about new Rams K Samuel Sloman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Five things to know about new Rams K Samuel Sloman

The Rams used their eighth draft pick this year on kicker Samuel Sloman, selecting him 248th overall in the seventh round. Here are five things you should know about the former Miami (Ohio) standout.

1) Goalkeeper turned kicker

According to a story told by general manager Les Snead on a Rams post-draft show, the 5-foot-8 Sloman was a goalie on Pace Academy's soccer team but got "beat out" because he was too short. The school's football team talked him into joining its squad, and he went on to help it win its first state championship in program history.

"He ended up being a very clutch field goal kicker along their journey to their first state championship in football," Snead said.

2) Path to Miami (Ohio) was similar to that of Rams head coach and fellow alum Sean McVay

Like McVay, Sloman went to high school in the Atlanta area before heading to Miami (Ohio). Sloman graduated from Pace Academy in Atlanta while McVay graduated from Brookhaven (Ga.) Marist, and the schools are separated by less than 10 miles.

3) A "high-upside" prospect

According to Rams Senior Personnel Executive Brian Xanders, Sloman was 14 of 19 on field goal attempts of 40 or more yards over the last two years and also improved his kickoff length every year. Per Sloman's Miami (Ohio) bio, he posted 12 touchbacks as a freshman, 21 as a sophomore, 42 as a junior and 52 as a senior.

"So you're getting a high-upside guy with the power and explosion there," Xanders said.

4) Clutch under pressure

Xanders also shared another interesting stat on that same post-draft show: In the last two years, Sloman was 27 of 29 on field goal attempts in the second half or overtime.

That 93 percent accuracy "is one of the best I've seen in terms of college kicking," Xanders said.

5) The meaning behind his college number

Discussing Sloman's character and personality on the same show, Xanders explained that he lived with Miami (Ohio)'s offensive linemen and wore the number 79 to fit in with his offensive line teammates.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This stat shows just how clutch Rams K Sam Sloman was in college

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Part of the reason the Los Angeles Rams traded back in the fourth round of the draft this year was to gather extra picks in the seventh round, which they planned to use on a kicker. After losing Greg Zuerlein in free agency, the Rams knew they had to find someone to take his place – someone hopefully as clutch and accurate as the man they called “Greg The Leg.”

In Round 7, the Rams selected Sam Sloman from Miami of Ohio, drafting him over presumed top kicker Rodrigo Blankenship. The team showed interest in Sloman before the draft, so his selection wasn’t a surprise, and now he’ll get a chance to be the Rams’ primary kicker in 2020.

Part of what caught their eye about Sloman was his clutch factor. This stat was shared by Rams senior personnel executive Brian Xanders, which is certainly encouraging as Sloman enters the kicking battle.

“In the second half or overtime during the last two years, he went 27 out of 29. So when the score is tight or it’s getting close to the end of the game, he’s been clutch,” Xanders said.

Another trait that Xanders highlighted was Sloman’s kicking technique, which allows him to generate a lot of power. He compared it to a golf swing because of the angle of approach that Sloman takes with his kicks.

“I’ve done kickers for 20 something years now and one nuance of kicking is the angle of approach. He’s very consistent of being a really short angle behind the ball, which allows you to get more power. It’s almost like a powerful golf swing,” Xanders said.

Lastly, he loves Sloman’s competitiveness and the improvement he made during his career at Miami.

“I think the third positive with him is he’s gotten better every year and what’s ascended with him is his power and explosion. He’s a powerful guy, he’s a weather kicker and he’s a competitor. He just wants to take everybody’s job,” Xanders said.

Sloman will have to beat out Lirim Hajrullahu – who’s out making 75- and 77-yard kicks in practice – and Austin MacGinnis, who had a strong track record in the XFL this past season, in order to be the team’s primary kicker. But he has the traits of an NFL starter and someone who can really help the Rams.

oldnotdead

Legend
He seems like a very talented kid and certainly one that can be a good NFL kicker. But the Canadian guy has the range and accuracy that is special. He's also bad weather tested. Being that successful in stadiums that are outside and subject to those harsh winters is something that can't be ignored. I doubt if Sloman clears waivers and if he is on the PS I doubt he lasts the season. There are always kickers flaming out each year. Would they carry 2 kickers for the first couple of months to see if one or the other is their guy? If he manages to beat out the other two then I would have no doubts about Sloman.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Another trait that Xanders highlighted was Sloman’s kicking technique, which allows him to generate a lot of power. He compared it to a golf swing because of the angle of approach that Sloman takes with his kicks.

“I’ve done kickers for 20 something years now and one nuance of kicking is the angle of approach. He’s very consistent of being a really short angle behind the ball, which allows you to get more power. It’s almost like a powerful golf swing,” Xanders said.

There was something about Blankenship I didn’t like, and this might be it. He had a lot of things going on with his setup and motion.

This is what you want; the golf swing

I really like Sloman. I hope he kicks well right away, because he should stick in this league.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sloman is a lot easier to spell (dont need to copy/paste) and much easier to say (wont even try) than Hajrullahu, so that gives him a leg up in my book.
Bad pun I know...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sloman is a lot easier to spell (dont need to copy/paste) and much easier to say (wont even try) than Hajrullahu, so that gives him a leg up in my book.
Bad pun I know...

On his way back to the locker-room, Hajrullahu paused to tell a radio reporter how to pronounce his last name. With a silent "j" — like Hy-roo-la-hoo, he explained, with nary a trace of impatience at having answered this 100 times before.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On his way back to the locker-room, Hajrullahu paused to tell a radio reporter how to pronounce his last name. With a silent "j" — like Hy-roo-la-hoo, he explained, with nary a trace of impatience at having answered this 100 times before.
Interesting, because coincidentally, the "H" and the "J" are both silent in Sloman too! Like Slo-Man