Five Takeaways from Day 2 of OTAs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Myles Simmons
Rams Insider@MylesASimmons
Five Takeaways from Day 2 of OTAs

The Rams completed their second of 10 allotted Organized Team Activities on Thursday. Here are five takeaway items from the session.

ArticleAP812498574901.jpg

1) Sasser placed on NFI list

Head coach Jeff Fisher announced on Thursday that wide receiver Bud Sasser, a sixth-round pick in this year’s draft, has been placed on the non-football injury list. Fisher said that the wideout had a pre-existing medical condition that caused him to fail his physical.

“We did some extensive studies after the draft,” Fisher said. “They’re very extensive, as you can imagine, and it was determined and concluded by numerous physicians that he had a pre-existing condition that we don’t feel will allow him to play.”

Unfortunately, Fisher said that the medical opinion is that Sasser will not be able to play for the Rams.

“He was a non-combine guy and that happens sometimes,” Fisher said, referring to the fact that incoming rookies go through numerous medical evaluations at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. “You didn’t have the information. Typically what you do is you contact the university, which we did, and this was just one of those things that kind of slipped through the cracks.”

Sasser is a Mizzou product, where he tallied 116 receptions for 1,611 yards and 14 touchdowns in his collegiate career.

ArticleAP02112503441.jpg

2) Adding Garcia to the staff

The Rams announced earlier this week that former NFL quarterback Jeff Garcia would be on the coaching staff as an offensive assistant, primarily working with wide receivers coach Ray Sherman. Garcia interviewed for the Rams’ QB coach job back in February. While that position eventually went to Chris Weinke, Fisher said Thursday that he felt like Garcia has some special qualities and characteristics.

“It took us a little bit longer, but what we’re going to do is move Jeff into the receiver room with Coach (Ray) Sherman and really, he gives a different perspective,” Fisher said. “He gives that quarterback perspective to the receivers, which I think is helpful.”

ArticleAP324273028093_3.jpg

3) Foles making strong early impression

Quarterback Nick Foles may be new to the Rams, but tight end Jared Cook said that’s not how it seems.

“It just feels like he belongs here, and it feels like he’s been here for a while, which is a good piece. It’s what we need,” Cook said on Tuesday. “I’m so glad he’s here. I love that he’s here. I love what he brings to us, and I love the fact that he’s just an up tempo, positive guy.”

Cook wasn’t the only one with effusive praise for St. Louis’ starting quarterback.

“Our chemistry has been great since Day 1,” wide receiver Kenny Britt said. “He’s not going to throw a fastball when you’re five yards down the field. He has a touch, he has a sense of when to put a little bit of touch on it, and when to throw it in there with his fastball. But he can throw it all.”

For more on Foles’ leadership and how he’s been developing chemistry with his teammates, check out our stlouisrams.com feature here.

ArticleRamsOTA060215_048.jpg

4) Britt’s back

Speaking of the wide receiver, he also said on Thursday that there was no doubt he wanted to re-sign with the Rams as a free agent in the offseason.

“Not in my mind,” he said. “Not in my family’s mind, my wife’s mind. I knew where I wanted to be all along coming out of the season.”

A significant part of the reason why is Britt’s relationship with Fisher. The wideout has had his most successful seasons while playing for the head coach, which Britt said is no coincidence.

“There’s definitely something to that because Fisher is a guy who will let you be yourself in the locker room, on the field, and off the field,” Britt said. “You want to be comfortable with being yourself instead of being up tight and watching what you have to say and what you have to do.”

ArticleAP444318011102_24.jpg

5) Injury updates

Fisher said that No. 10 overall pick Todd Gurley has been doing a great job with his rehab.

“He’s very anxious,” Fisher said. “He’s probably a little frustrated, probably deep down inside not really happy right now. But he’s anxious to get out there right now, so that’s going well.”

Offensive lineman Rodger Saffold had offseason surgery on his shoulder and said that his rehab has been clean.

“I haven’t had much pain or problems,” Saffold said. “It’s pretty much been smooth sailing. And right now, I’m ahead of the curve. So it’s just being patient that’s the hardest thing.”

While he said he’s been limited so far in OTAs, he expects to have the restrictions lifted in due time.

And finally, Fisher gave an update on wideout Brian Quick, whose suffered a season-ending shoulder injury against Kansas City in 2014.

“Brian Quick is probably the one we have to watch,” Fisher said. “We’ll have to watch him, keep him out of contact, but he’s running routes against air. He’s catching and progressing nicely.”

RamBill

Legend
Rams notes: Hayes, Long tackle fight to help homeless
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_23c0da5a-1436-5382-a159-b29b1168f5b1.html

For the Rams’ Chris Long, it was an eye-opener. For fellow defensive end William Hayes, it was humbling and it was uncomfortable.

What started as a casual chat on a team bus ride through a rough neighborhood in St. Louis turned into a life-changing experience as best friends and teammates Hayes and Long decided to spend a March night as homeless men in downtown St. Louis.

The experience was part of a recent ESPN feature “Life on the Streets.”

“It was never about putting us into the spotlight or about getting any kind of publicity,” Hayes stressed. “Riding on the bus and seeing the homeless, I asked Chris if he thought he could handle something like that. We decided to try it and maybe do a segment for RBN (Rams Broadcast Network), but ESPN got wind of it and jumped on board to take it to a whole new level.

“At the end of the day, we were able to raise awareness of the situation and that’s a good thing.”

For several seasons, the Rams’ defensive line has donated $1,000 per sack to benefit the St. Patrick Center. But Hayes and Long wanted to do more.

“Homelessness has been one of Will’s causes for some time and we wanted to find a way to at least try to experience it,” Long said. “You never truly understand what it’s like because we were only doing it for 24 hours. I get that and I agree with that. But the experience itself was an eye-opener for me and I would challenge anybody who says what we did was useless.”

With the help of the Rams’ community outreach department, Hayes and Long were disguised in secondhand clothes and makeup and were given $4 apiece. After being run off from an abandoned building, they spent the night in the back of a vacant truck as temperatures dipped into the 30s. The next day, they panhandled outside the Edward Jones Dome.

“I made $6,” Long said.

And Hayes? “Not a dollar,’’ he said. “I was on the wrong (passenger) side of the street and I looked a little more intimidating than Chris. Plus, he was more talkative. I’m glad he was able to make some money because we were able to get some White Castles.

“I tried my best, but it was a lot harder to do than I expected. You really have to put your pride aside because you’re not asking, you’re pleading.”

When asked about panhandling, Long mentioned the “invisibility factor.”

“It’s another extreme we’d never experienced,” said Long, who recently set up the Chris Long Foundation to raise money to help build wells in East Africa to deliver clean water in poor areas. “And it forced me to do a little self-inventory: How do I treat homeless people? The thing is, most of us are lucky to have safety nets in our lives. We make mistakes, but we have a support system around us that helps us deal with those mistakes. You’re thankful of that, but you also realize how many people out there don’t have that safety net.

“A lot of people are a mistake away from being in a situation like that. Another thing you realize is how hard it’d be to get your life together if you didn’t have a roof over your head. For people like that, every day is a struggle for survival.”

On Wednesday afternoon, in Rams jerseys outside the Cardinals’ game against Milwaukee, Long and Hayes raised about $1,500 in 90 minutes.

“I think it’s easy to take things we have for granted,” Hayes said. “But an experience like this, I think it helps put things in perspective. I have three kids and I’m grateful to be able to support my kids. But the reality is, there’s a woman out there tonight with her child and she’s trying to get into a shelter and if that doesn’t work out, she’ll have to do what she can to survive.”

Hayes continued: “I always told myself that if I got to a certain level in my life, I’d try to do something to help people, and I’ve always been really sensitive to homelessness. I try to give what I can, but the money only goes so far when you don’t have a roof over your head. It’s a situation that deserves a lot more attention.”

RAM-BLINGS

When asked about the Rams’ relocation rumors, head coach Jeff Fisher replied, “It’s not a distraction. We can’t let it be a distraction. I’ve been through it once (when the Oilers left Houston in 1996 and became the Tennessee Titans). ... It’s been my opinion really from the start when all this started happening that I’m better off probably not knowing the specifics. That way, when someone asks me, I can say, ‘I don’t know.’ And when I say it, I’m telling the truth.

“Our focus is on this next week of OTAs. This fall, we’ll be playing football here. I think that’s the best way to approach it.”

• With offensive line holdovers Rodger Saffold (shoulder) and Greg Robinson (toe) limited as they return from offseason surgery, the first-unit offensive line Thursday featured Brandon Washington at left tackle, Garrett Reynolds at left guard, Barrett Jones at center, rookie Jamon Brown at right guard and rookie Rob Havenstein at right tackle.

• In addition to Saffold and Robinson, others being brought along slowly are wide receiver Brian Quick, who’s coming off shoulder surgery, and the Rams’ No. 1 draft pick, Todd Gurley, who is able to go through his rehab running and agility drills while the rest of the team practices.

“Todd’s doing a great job with his rehab,” Fisher said. “He’s very anxious. He’s probably a little frustrated, probably deep down inside not really happy right now, but he’s anxious to get out there right now, so that’s going well.”

• The Rams’ veteran defense had a clear edge on the offense during Thursday’s workout. That’s not surprising when you consider the relative inexperience of the offensive line and that new QB Nick Foles is still getting to know his receivers.

RamsFan14

Starter
Any updates on how Foles has looked so far? I know 7 on 7 drills ain't a huge deal, but it would be nice to know how the chemistry is going between him and the playmakers.

MrMotes

Starter
Kenny Britt said:
“There’s definitely something to that because Fisher is a guy who will let you be yourself in the locker room, on the field, and off the field,” Britt said. “You want to be comfortable with being yourself instead of being up tight and watching what you have to say and what you have to do.”

Let Kenny be Kenny...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I here the bullets from 5 yards as a dig at Sam B....As a former coach, catch the damn ball, then tell him about it in the huddle...And while you're at it, ask the line to give the effin QB some time so he can get comf0rtable and throw with some touch...and keep that sh!t to yourself & outta the media....unless you hated Sammy.

SierraRam

Recreational User
And Hayes? “Not a dollar,’’ he said. “I was on the wrong (passenger) side of the street and I looked a little more intimidating than Chris. Plus, he was more talkative. I’m glad he was able to make some money because we were able to get some White Castles.

My new favorite player. Love this guy!