Five players to watch, preseason game against the Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Five players to watch in the second preseason game against the Cowboys

Many of the Rams’ starters did not travel to Hawaii for this week’s preseason game against the Cowboys, which means several reserves will be in action.
With that in mind, here are five players to watch against Dallas on Saturday.

1. RB DARRELL HENDERSON
Head coach Sean McVay said the plan is to gradually increase Darrell Henderson’s touches as the preseason progresses. How big of a jump Henderson experiences with his workload remains unclear, but an uptick wouldn’t be surprising since starting running back Todd Gurley was one of of the starters who did not make the trip to Hawaii. The floor was set with seven touches – six carries for 13 yards, plus one catch for minus-five yards – while playing 20 of the team’s 59 offensive snaps at Oakland last week.

2. CB DAVID LONG JR.
A third-round pick, cornerback David Long Jr. has earned praise for his efforts through the first two weeks of the preseason from McVay. If the Rams choose to include a sixth cornerback on the 53-man roster, the Michigan product is among the many names who will be in the conversation. He played 34 snaps against the Raiders on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets this week against the Cowboys.

3. RT BOBBY EVANS
Rookie offensive lineman Bobby Evans is poised for a big role in his first year with Los Angeles. The third-round pick and 97thoverall selection was kept busy during the preseason opener, playing all 59 of team’s offensive snaps. Slated as starting right tackle Rob Havenstein’s backup according to the team’s unofficial depth chart, every rep Evans gets in the preseason will be valuable experience for him.

4. WR KHADAREL HODGE
The second-year NFL veteran joined Los Angeles as an undrafted free agent during training camp last year. After getting signed to the practice squad on Sept. 2, his hard work was rewarded with a promotion to the active roster on Sept. 19. Hodge has continued to show how much progress he’s made after posting three receptions for 48 yards on six targets in the preseason opener – the receptions sharing for the team lead, with the yards and targets most among all Rams receivers against Oakland – and will have more opportunities to show what he’s capable of on Saturday.

5. DT GREG GAINES
The former Washington standout is among the candidates vying for the starting nose tackle spot. Defensive tackle Sebastian Joseph-Day is projected as the No. 1 guy based on the team’s unofficial depth chart, but Gaines and defensive tackle Tanzel Smart are also making their case with what they’ve shown to this point in the preseason. Gaines played 25 percent of the team’s defensive snaps at Oakland.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2. CB DAVID LONG JR.
A third-round pick, cornerback David Long Jr. has earned praise for his efforts through the first two weeks of the preseason from McVay. If the Rams choose to include a sixth cornerback on the 53-man roster, the Michigan product is among the many names who will be in the conversation. He played 34 snaps against the Raiders on Saturday, so it will be interesting to see what kind of playing time he gets this week against the Cowboys.

The bolded part is insanity. They did not draft him in the third to cut him in preseason, and he's looked good enough his roster spot isn't in doubt. Playing time might be, but he'll make the team, barring a major injury putting him on injured reserve. Most likely, he'll be the #4 CB to start the season, and I expect him to be a starter in 2020 as the Rams let one of their current starters go in free agency.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would add Okowronkwo and Justin Davis. Both haven't played due to injuries and better have a good game.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bobby Evans needs a big game here. He did not play well and the Rams kept him out there the whole game of game one. Evans did not get much of a compliment from his offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who said, that Evans was a tad behind the others.

Evans has the length and strength over David Edwards, who also IMO, did not have a good game against the Raiders, but Evans gave up a bad sack in the Red Zone, where he totally whiffed that led to Brandon Allen being sacked and the Rams settling for 3 points.

In this game Evans needs to really stand up and play well, he should be better at RT than LT although he played both positions at Oklahoma. Now, I realize last week the young guys where alternating positions and Kromer did not do that to Noteboom last year, who played LT all preseason, but tonight I need Evans to hold up well in pass protection and create some running lanes to make me feel like progress is being made.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would add Okowronkwo and Justin Davis. Both haven't played due to injuries and better have a good game.

Justin Davis never plays and for the life of me I don't know why they hang onto this kid.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s all about the lines, offensive and defensive, in this preseason for me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The bolded part is insanity. They did not draft him in the third to cut him in preseason, and he's looked good enough his roster spot isn't in doubt. Playing time might be, but he'll make the team, barring a major injury putting him on injured reserve. Most likely, he'll be the #4 CB to start the season, and I expect him to be a starter in 2020 as the Rams let one of their current starters go in free agency.
I would agree with you. The present corner cadre is in very good condition & should be able to be the key defensive strengths of this D unit. However, the future is a different negative look to it with Troy Hill, NRC & Darious Williams being the only corners with contracts.

David Long is the only CB signed whom they have drafted period. The three 2019 starters came by either trade or FA'cy, two of which will be UFA's in 7 months.

Most here including me is expecting that David Long to be in contention for a starting post next season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Justin Davis never plays and for the life of me I don't know why they hang onto this kid.
It's apparent to me that Davis can NOT be counted on when needed. Its just me but I don't keep people around me that fall into that category. This player has fully demonstrated he can not remain on the playing field healthy for even a short period.:censored:

Another concern for me is Snead drafted RB John Kelly, I just do not see much to like. Now for some positively ;)I do like what I see from rookie RB Matt Colbum from Wake Forest

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's apparent to me that Davis can NOT be counted on when needed. Its just me but I don't keep people around me that fall into that category. This player has fully demonstrated he can not remain on the playing field healthy for even a short period.:censored:

Another concern for me is Snead drafted RB John Kelly, I just do not see much to like. Now for some positively ;)I do like what I see from rookie RB Matt Colbum from Wake Forest

I suspect Davis is history barring a rash of injuries. I suspect they will give Kelly another season, since he has ST value and the biggest issue is blocking, and he has hopefully improved over last season. But yes, he wasn't good enough last season to hold off somebody who really impresses the coaches during these preseason games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams running backs John Kelly and Justin Davis are eager to show abilities

1566061689597.png

John Kelly and Justin Davis sense opportunity, even though the Rams made heavy investments in other running backs.
Before last season, the Rams gave star Todd Gurley a massive extension. During the offseason, they matched an offer sheet to retain veteran Malcolm Brown. Then they spent a third-round draft pick on Darrell Henderson.
Kelly, a sixth-round pick in 2018, and Davis, who played at USC and signed with the Rams as an undrafted free agent in 2017, are fighting for a roster spot.
Davis did not sound anxious after the Rams finished a walkthrough Friday at the University of Hawaii in preparation for Saturday’s preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys at Aloha Stadium.

“When you look at numbers, when you look at rosters, you can get caught up in it — and that’s something you don’t want to do,” said Davis, who is expected to play Saturday after sitting out the preseason opener against the Oakland Raiders because of a concussion. “So my mind-set is to go out there, do the best I can no matter who’s watching, showcase my ability, and I believe if I work hard and give my all, it will all work out for the best.”
During the preseason, coach Sean McVay is holding out starters and key rotational players to avoid injuries that could sideline or slow them for the Sept. 8 opener against the Carolina Panthers. Gurley and Brown — and nearly every Rams starter — did not make the trip.
Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff (16) during an NFL football training camp Tuesday, May 28, 2

Henderson is expected to play a larger role Saturday — he carried six times for 13 yards against the Raiders — but Kelly and Davis also will have opportunities.
Last season, after Gurley suffered a knee injury against the Philadelphia Eagles, Kelly looked overmatched in pass-protection situations, and he made it a point to improve that part of his game during offseason workouts.

He started against the Raiders and rushed for 10 yards in three carries, and aims to build on that against the Cowboys.
“Hopefully, I can break a big run,” he said Friday. “That would be nice — get into the end zone or something.”
Davis said it was “full circle” that his first opportunity this preseason will come at Aloha Stadium. In 2013, in his first college game, he rushed for 74 yards and a touchdown in 14 carries in USC’s victory over Hawaii.
Last season, Davis played in 11 games, mainly on special teams. He did rush for 19 yards on a carry against the Chicago Bears, but a shoulder injury sidelined him late in the season.

So he is eager to play against the Cowboys.
In 2017, Davis fumbled twice in his first series in a preseason game against the Cowboys. Last season, he rushed for 41 yards in seven carries in the preseason opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

“You want to see him show what makes him a unique player — that explosiveness, the ability to create with the ball in his hands, take great care of it,” McVay said. “I think when he’s got his opportunities, especially in some of these preseason games, you can’t help but say, ‘Man, you feel that speed, he flashes on the screen.’
“That’s what we are hoping to see.”

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Kelly seems to have improved as a blocker in pass protection, but I have not seen enough and he runs hard in between the tackles. I'm thinking the staff loves Davis because of his speed and size, he's a former high school sprinter, however, he cannot answer the bell...Not on the practice field, not during preseason and never during the regular season, unless something changes, so long.

fearsomefour

Legend
Peters, Talib, Coleman, Long.....those four are locks....the rest are battling for last one or two spots.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Peters, Talib, Coleman, Long.....those four are locks....the rest are battling for last one or two spots.
I'm would go Kevin Peterson (outside) & Darious Williams (reserve Nickle & Dime) if the regular season started next week over Troy Hill, Dom Hatfield, Dont'e Deayon & Ramon Richards. I would try to sign Richards & Deayon to the PS.

Certainly Hill & Hatfield has much more experience for the moment but IMO it would be a much smarter move to go with the two innate skilled talented DB's even though they are inexperienced. In being prepared for the future. Peterson & Williams bring more to the team in long term.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm would go Kevin Peterson (outside) & Darious Williams (reserve Nickle & Dime) if the regular season started next week over Troy Hill, Dom Hatfield, Dont'e Deayon & Ramon Richards. I would try to sign Richards & Deayon to the PS.

Certainly Hill & Hatfield has much more experience for the moment but IMO it would be a much smarter move to go with the two innate skilled talented DB's even though they are inexperienced. In being prepared for the future. Peterson & Williams bring more to the team in long term.
I still like Hill as a depth guy. He has shown he can play very well in this league.....at times.
The Rams may end up keeping a slew of DBs when you factor in the safeties.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still like Hill as a depth guy. He has shown he can play very well in this league.....at times.
The Rams may end up keeping a slew of DBs when you factor in the safeties.

This is where my head is at.

Seems always important to have depth here. You ALWAYS use it.