Fitzgerald and Sherman; 2017 their final season in NFC West?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...-will-play-on-his-team-for-final-time-in-2017

Whether because of age or cap hit, players in the NFL rarely retire with the team that drafted them. Which prominent veteran will be playing for his current NFC West team for the final time in 2017?

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: It's fair to say this could be receiver Larry Fitzgerald's last season with the Cardinals. But it's not because he'll head to another team to ride out the twilight of his career, rather because he'll retire. Fitzgerald won't say one way or the other, announcing that he'll address his future once -- during training camp -- and that will be it for the season. He will be 34 when he kicks off his 14th season. Fitzgerald didn't commit to playing this season until Feb. 1, a sign his body needs more time to recover. Another year means more wear and tear. There have been hints he won't return past 2017, and he has said he doesn't expect to chase down Tony Gonzalez, who's No. 2 on the all-time receptions list, 200 ahead of Fitzgerald.

Alden Gonzalez, Los Angeles Rams reporter: A lot of people are surprised Richard Sherman is still with the Seahawks heading into 2017, and a lot more might be surprised if he's with them in 2018. This just seems like his last ride in Seattle, if he even gets it. As Seth Wickersham outlined, growing tension within the Seahawks' locker room basically paved the way for both sides to believe a trade was the best course of action.

It didn't happen this offseason -- at least not yet -- but after 2017, Sherman will be 30, with one year remaining on his contract. So, this might be the last ride for this great Seahawks defense. Their starting defensive ends, Michael Bennettand Cliff Avril, are 31. Two of their starters in the secondary -- Sherman and Kam Chancellor -- will be 30 next year. Sherman might be moving on soon.

Nick Wagoner: San Francisco 49ers reporter: Sherman. So much can change in the course of a year, so perhaps Sherman will have another great season and the Seahawks will decide to hold on to him, but it's hard to see how that relationship is going to continue for the long term. The Seahawks openly discussed their efforts to trade Sherman this offseason and weren't able to finalize a deal, presumably because they didn't get a team willing to meet their asking price. Still, the reason Seattle considered such a trade in the first place is a desire to alleviate future salary-cap concerns. Those concerns will still exist in 2018, when Sherman is scheduled to count $13.2 million against the salary cap. That will also be the last year of Sherman's current deal, which means the Seahawks would probably be willing to lower their asking price a bit from this year and get something accomplished.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't expect either of these players to be with their current teams in 2018! And you can add QB Palmer to the List of Cardinals gone in 2018 He's going to retire too!!(y);):D

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I don't expect either of these players to be with their current teams in 2018! And you can add QB Plummer to the List of Cardinals gone in 2018 He's going to retire too!!(y);):D
I agree on Palmer as well. I also wonder how long Kam Chancellor will be around, he's 29, hasn't played a full season since 2013, and his contract is up after the season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our division is squarely in transition.

The door is open, for all teams.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't expect either of these players to be with their current teams in 2018! And you can add QB Plummer to the List of Cardinals gone in 2018 He's going to retire too!!(y);):D
Damn Dave still living in 2004 huh :ROFLMAO:
IMG_3595.JPG

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They probably both will be gone, but I miss the old days when a player stayed with a team his whole career as the norm. That goes for rival teams, so we could have players to hate as well as love our own. Sometimes new ways are not an improvement.

Ram65

Legend
Can't complain about both teams getting older. The Cardinals lost a lot of defense already. No Fitz next year Palmer should retire too. They don't have a good replacement QB either. Age and contracts will hurt the Hags. The thirty something group hard to give new deals too.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fitz is the only non-Ram player that I've ever bought the jersey of. My twins both really liked him when they were both playing WR and they asked for his jersey. If the guy wasn't such a bad ass I would never have purchased his jersey for them.

Side note... I never would have purchased those jerseys in person. I ordered them online. Now that I really think about it... I made the wife order them for me.

Good riddance to Fitz and his cheap ass blocks.

As for Dick Sherman. I will miss burning his ass for more wins over the shecocks. Hopefully he and Seadderall find a way to stay together forever.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Fitz is the only non-Ram player that I've ever bought the jersey of. My twins both really liked him when they were both playing WR and they asked for his jersey. If the guy wasn't such a bad ass I would never have purchased his jersey for them.

Side note... I never would have purchased those jerseys in person. I ordered them online. Now that I really think about it... I made the wife order them for me.

Good riddance to Fitz and his cheap ass blocks.

As for Dick Sherman. I will miss burning his ass for more wins over the shecocks. Hopefully he and Seadderall find a way to stay together forever.

I agree though with Fitz he isn't unique in the cheap ass blocking dept. Fitz is money as a WR. Sure wish he was on the Rams. Sherman can go f*** himself.