Fisher's open-door policy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas

As part of the new era at Rams Park, coach Jeff Fisher has instituted an open-door policy for former Rams players. This wasn't really the case, for whatever reason, under former coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney.

Most Rams fans are familiar with what happened. The pictures of team greats from the Greatest Show on Turf days were taken down in the team auditorium. Offensive line coach Jim Hanifan basically was told he was no longer welcome in the building.

There was no more telling example of this than the sight of former Rams star Isaac Bruce helping Chicago wide receivers at Bears camp two summers ago. When asked why he wasn't working at Rams camp, the always-direct Bruce replied: "They didn't ask."

Well, within weeks of Fisher's hire, Hanifan was back in the building visiting Fisher, assistant head coach Dave McGinnis and others. Bruce came around in the spring. Former linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa has been seen a couple of times earlier in camp.

And all this week, wide receiver Torry Holt and defensive back Aeneas Williams have been attending practices, providing tips and answering questions from players.

"There was a point there where I guess guys didn't feel as welcome in regards to coming back around the organization," Holt said. "But I think Coach Fisher and his staff and the organization have done a good job in terms of inviting and welcoming guys back. I think it's healthy.

"It's good for guys to see the history of our organization because we've got a lot of history in this organization. I've talked about it before. When I was a rookie and a couple years in the league, Deacon Jones and Jack Youngblood, they'd come back and talk to us and just talk about the pride and the tradition of Rams football.

"And I mentioned that to the receivers in the (meeting) room. I said, 'There's a standard here in regards to the receiving position, all the way back to Henry Ellard, Crazylegs (Hirsch), Flipper Anderson, myself, Isaac, Ricky (Proehl) — the list goes on and on of guys that played the position at a high level. So keeping that standard, keeping that tradition alive, I think it's huge."

Williams, who played for McGinnis for five seasons as an Arizona Cardinal, said the new regime at Rams Park "just always encourages you that you're welcome. It's never like you're eavesdropping or you're intruding. I never had an issue (before), because if I'm not invited I won't come around."

Rest of the story: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 4d6fc.html

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Interesting. I think having those guys around can only be a good thing. Torry and Isaac are 2 of the best route runners in recent history and I hope Torry can impart some of his wisdom on our your WRs. Lets get Ike on board also, assuming he is not otherwise employed.

PhxRam

Its amazing to think that a short time ago we seemingly had a endless supply of great wrs. The cupboard always seemed to be full.

The wr position now reminds me of the qb carousel we had in the 80's.. Brock, Kemp, Miller

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
PhxRam said:
Its amazing to think that a short time ago we seemingly had a endless supply of great wrs. The cupboard always seemed to be full.

The wr position now reminds me of the qb carousel we had in the 80's.. Brock, Kemp, Miller

I just threw up in my mouth a lil.....

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I am very happy that Coach Fish is righting this "wrong". I think it speaks volumes to his confidence to bring back players who were a part of this franchise's storied history even though he had no personal ties with them. I also think it will have a positive impact, particularly with such a young roster.

Looking forward to the season! Let's see what some quality coaching can do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Faulk needs to talk to Pead, and he seems like he really wants to help the kid. Step up Marsh.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Faulk needs to talk to Pead, and he seems like he really wants to help the kid. Step up Marsh.
I was thinking that last night too. I think Steven Jackson's running style is not suited to Pead's skill set. But Marshall had great vision, was able to run by guys, wait for holes to develop and make guys miss. He could help out Pead quite well. Maybe Fisher could entice him to come and talk to him.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if there is any hard feelings left between SJax and Faulk. The two were not best buddies before Faulk retired. It may not go so well if Marshall came and talked to all of the RB.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i don't understand why spags didn't want former great rams players to stop by and talk to the players. doesn't make sense.

he needed all the help he could get.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
kurtfaulk said:

i don't understand why spags didn't want former great rams players to stop by and talk to the players. doesn't make sense.

Paranoia

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Selassie I said:
kurtfaulk said:

Paranoia

Bingo!!!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
kurtfaulk said:

You gotta remember that in 2009 the Rams were trying to bury their dysfunctional past. Devaney was the first Ram GM that actually knew football--and had personnel authority--in 30 years.

The closed door was overkill, but it was an honest attempt to change the culture. That probably should have been softened after a couple years. Perhaps it was. Didn't Bruce spend some time with the receivers in OTAs or camp last year or the year before?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ram Quixote said:
kurtfaulk said:

You gotta remember that in 2009 the Rams were trying to bury their dysfunctional past. Devaney was the first Ram GM that actually knew football--and had personnel authority--in 30 years.

The closed door was overkill, but it was an honest attempt to change the culture. That probably should have been softened after a couple years. Perhaps it was. Didn't Bruce spend some time with the receivers in OTAs or camp last year or the year before?

Holt and someone else (Williams? But I'm thinking someone else..) helped the team during their own their own practices during the lockout.. Played coach for a few days, but that doesn't really count.

I believe at one point Bruce came in during a practice when they were honoring him. Dick Vermeil stopped by a few times though.