Fisher's first round draft history

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

joeybittick

Rookie
Hey guys, I was responding to a post on STLToday (mistake, I know, but I couldn’t help it) and decided to look at Fisher’s draft history. I have no idea if it means anything but here it is if anyone is interested:

From 1995 (Fisher's first full season as HC) through 2010 (Fisher’s last season) the Titans have drafted in the first round:

2 QBs (Steve McNair 1995 and Vince Young 2006)

2 RBs (Eddie George 1996 and Chris Johnson 2008)

2 WRs (Kevin Dyson in 1998 and Kenny Britt in 2009)

4 D-linemen (DE’s Kenny Holmes 97, Jevon Kearse 99, and Derrick Morgan in 2010 and DT Albert Haynesworth in 2002)

1 LB (Keith Bulluck in 2000)

3 DBs (CB’s Andre Woolfolk 2003 and Pacman Jones 05 and FS Michael Griffin 07)

Interesting notes (to me at least):

His first two drafts as HC he went Offense (Mcnair with the 3rd pick in 1995 and George at 14 in 1996) but from then on they only picked an offensive player (Kevin Dyson 16th pick in 1998) once in the first round until 2006 (Young 3rd pick in 2006). Fisher run teams have never drafted an O-lineman in the 1st round. I liked that the picks at each position seemed to be spread out, because to me it indicates that Fisher gave players time to develop rather than starting over if they are not a Pro Bowler in year 1. He picked first round QB’s 11 years apart, RBs 12 years apart, WR 11 years apart, DE’s in 97 and 99 but not again until 2010. Now, that does not take into account trades or even in they hit or missed with the picks, but on the surface it seems like a good thing to me.

I heard a GM say (I think it was Charlie Casserly) that there is about a 60% “hit” rate on first round players (and I believe he said it drops to 40% in the second). Assuming that is true, his history in the first round seems about average to me. He definitely hit on 8 of those picks (McNair, George, Johnson, Britt, Kearse, Haynesworth, Bulluck, and Griffin) which would give him a 57% slam dunk hit rate (if my math is correct). Woolfolk, Pacman, and Vince Young were busts, I would say that Holmes and Dyson were just average picks, and it is too early to tell on Morgan.

Anyway, does anyone think this means anything? I may go through each draft and try to come up with some kind of pattern as well as a hit rate for the entire drafts. I am not sure yet…

P.S. I have no idea how much say Fisher had in each draft.

Anonymous

joeybittick said:
Hey guys, I was responding to a post on STLToday (mistake, I know, but I couldn’t help it) and decided to look at Fisher’s draft history. I have no idea if it means anything but here it is if anyone is interested:

From 1995 (Fisher's first full season as HC) through 2010 (Fisher’s last season) the Titans have drafted in the first round:

4 D-linemen (DE’s Kenny Holmes 97, Jevon Kearse 99, and Derrick Morgan in 2010 and DT Albert Haynesworth in 2002)

His first two drafts as HC he went Offense (Mcnair with the 3rd pick in 1995 and George at 14 in 1996) but from then on they only picked an offensive player (Kevin Dyson 16th pick in 1998) once in the first round until 2006 (Young 3rd pick in 2006). Fisher run teams have never drafted an O-lineman in the 1st round. I liked that the picks at each position seemed to be spread out, because to me it indicates that Fisher gave players time to develop rather than starting over if they are not a Pro Bowler in year 1. He picked first round QB’s 11 years apart, RBs 12 years apart, WR 11 years apart, DE’s in 97 and 99 but not again until 2010. Now, that does not take into account trades or even in they hit or missed with the picks, but on the surface it seems like a good thing to me.

I heard a GM say (I think it was Charlie Casserly) that there is about a 60% “hit” rate on first round players (and I believe he said it drops to 40% in the second). Assuming that is true, his history in the first round seems about average to me. He definitely hit on 8 of those picks (McNair, George, Johnson, Britt, Kearse, Haynesworth, Bulluck, and Griffin) which would give him a 57% slam dunk hit rate (if my math is correct). Woolfolk, Pacman, and Vince Young were busts, I would say that Holmes and Dyson were just average picks, and it is too early to tell on Morgan.

Anyway, does anyone think this means anything? I may go through each draft and try to come up with some kind of pattern as well as a hit rate for the entire drafts. I am not sure yet…

What complicates things is that not all of those are his picks.

Early on Reese was the GM and had a big say.

After Reese was ousted, then at that point, at least one of the picks was still not his--he was ordered to take Young by the owner, for example.

So what your analysis does is give us insight to THE TITANS.

Not necessarily, or rather not completely, Fisher

joeybittick

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
zn said:
joeybittick said:

What complicates things is that not all of those are his picks.

Early on Reese was the GM and had a big say.

After Reese was ousted, then at that point, at least one of the picks was still not his--he was ordered to take Young by the owner, for example.

So what your analysis does is give us insight to THE TITANS.

Not necessarily, or rather not completely, Fisher

I completely agree. I really only even bothered with this because someone said that there was no way the Rams pick Blackmon because Fisher's teams have never drafted a WR in the 1st round. So, yeah, this is interesting to me but it really means very little.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Was it that stupid "Thank BD and Spags for this" thread?

I swear my blood pressure went up 20 points readin some of those posts...

Lesson

Oh, really?
The Young pick was forced by Adams, right? Fisher didn't want him, correct?

joeybittick

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Was it that stupid "Thank BD and Spags for this" thread?

I swear my blood pressure went up 20 points readin some of those posts...

No, it was something like "Want proof that Blackmon will not be the pick?" And I can imagine the thread you are talking about would have pissed me off too.