Fisher's comments from latest presser

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Coach Fisher said there are some positions and players that will not be on the Ram's board this draft. Care to speculate what or who?

I'm thinking QB, DE, K, and P are not on the Ram's board.

As far as players, I have nothing as to who they wouldn't even consider. I mean they don't seem to be scared of players with character questions so..... Fisher did say that a traditional 3-4 LB is a player he wouldn't pick because they just don't fit the Ram's D scheme.

What do you guys think?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd add CB,can't see them thinking it's a need.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
One could argue they might feel good about their situation at Gaurd.

Me; I'm less certain. But, they might be plenty comfortable with the Boudreau Bunch.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thordaddy said:

I see it a little different myself. if you would permit me Thordaddy I would like to go over my thoughts on your post.

#1- Rams have three corners, most NFL teams keep five hot & ready dressed corners. That leaves us short a few.

#2-Add that Fisher & new DC do not have a true free deep safety on the roster to play in a dime defense.

#3-Also add in that they also do not have a strong safety who can cover well either in the dime defense.

#4-Still adding to this mixture is this 2013 draft..... is jammed full of strong in the box safeties but very very slim on deep free safety talent. Rams just release their two starting in the box safeties in Mikell & Dahl why turn around & waste valuable draft choices on more of this type?

Rams may not feel so inclined to bring on board & throw high valued high draft picks & invest in any of these 2013 safety prospects. They could move in another direction for this season and wait & plan to make their moves on all those talented free deep safeties prospects in 2014 draft. Rams could go hard on CB's and turn to Trumaine Johnson or Cortland Finnegan to fill the free safety post for just one season. I brought this out earlier this month that Finnegan was a FS before entering the NFL. but ROD'ers claim that no way do you pay Finnegan his millions to play FS....I say he is paid to play where he can make this team its best who cares what position he plays. In 2012 Finnegan played the Nickel back more than his base outside corner post. So the Rams are already paying mega millions for a Nickle back now. Think Fisher has those types of governing concerns bearing in on his decisions to field a better team in 2013?

Rams starting two rookie corners in 2012 what makes you think they would not do it again in 2013 if there was a need too? Normally NFL teams desire a well seasoned smart experienced DB as your deep free ranging safety over any inexperienced rookie. Ravens had 34 old Ed Reed, Packers had 35 yr old ex starting corner & Nickel back Charles Woodson roaming free in 2011, NYG's had ex starting CB 28 yr old Antrel Rolle. The last time the Rams played in the SB in 2003 Rams had ex starting CB well seasoned 35 yr old Aeneas Williams playing deep far ranging safety.

Just saying it would not surprise me if Snead & Fisher come away with at least two drafted corners or maybe three if they pull up & hold off on this weak Deep Free Safety 2013 class.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:
Thordaddy said:

I see it a little different myself. if you would permit me Thordaddy I would like to go over my thoughts on your post.

#1- Rams have three corners, most NFL teams keep five hot & ready dressed corners. That leaves us short a few.

#2-Add that Fisher & new DC do not have a true free deep safety on the roster to play in a dime defense.

#3-Also add in that they also do not have a strong safety who can cover well either in the dime defense.

#4-Still adding to this mixture is this 2013 draft..... is jammed full of strong in the box safeties but very very slim on deep free safety talent. Rams just release their two starting in the box safeties in Mikell & Dahl why turn around & waste valuable draft choices on more of this type?

Rams may not feel so inclined to bring on board & throw high valued high draft picks & invest in any of these 2013 safety prospects. They could move in another direction for this season and wait & plan to make their moves on all those talented free deep safeties prospects in 2014 draft. Rams could go hard on CB's and turn to Trumaine Johnson or Cortland Finnegan to fill the free safety post for just one season. I brought this out earlier this month that Finnegan was a FS before entering the NFL. but ROD'ers claim that no way do you pay Finnegan his millions to play FS....I say he is paid to play where he can make this team its best who cares what position he plays. In 2012 Finnegan played the Nickel back more than his base outside corner post. So the Rams are already paying mega millions for a Nickle back now. Think Fisher has those types of governing concerns bearing in on his decisions to field a better team in 2013?

Rams starting two rookie corners in 2012 what makes you think they would not do it again in 2013 if there was a need too? Normally NFL teams desire a well seasoned smart experienced DB as your deep free ranging safety over any inexperienced rookie. Ravens had 34 old Ed Reed, Packers had 35 yr old ex starting corner & Nickel back Charles Woodson roaming free in 2011, NYG's had ex starting CB 28 yr old Antrel Rolle. The last time the Rams played in the SB in 2003 Rams had ex starting CB well seasoned 35 yr old Aeneas Williams playing deep far ranging safety.

Just saying it would not surprise me if Snead & Fisher come away with at least two drafted corners or maybe three if they pull up & hold off on this weak Deep Free Safety 2013 class.

Good points but I can't see the Rams not taking at least one of these touted Safeties. But I can see where CB is still a need for depth if nothing else.

I also agree I left out TE as probably not a need on this team.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Maybe late but they used two draft choices for CB last year and the top FA was for one as well.
IMO we don't draft CB's ,whoever we add to the 4 we have is a FA cut or one we sign after the draft As an UFA.
I we are going to convert someone to safety is the only reason I can see it.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Thordaddy said:
Maybe late but they used two draft choices for CB last year and the top FA was for one as well.
IMO we don't draft CB's ,whoever we add to the 4 we have is a FA cut or one we sign after the draft As an UFA.
I we are going to convert someone to safety is the only reason I can see it.

Gotta have someone capable of stepping in and starting should one of the Top 3 go down. They'll take a CB in the first 4 rounds as an insurance policy. Besides, I don't think they'll want to pay Finnegan 10 mil when he's 33 or 34.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramhusker said:
Good points but I can't see the Rams not taking at least one of these touted Safeties. But I can see where CB is still a need for depth if nothing else.

You seem to be where most of all Ram fans and talking heads are at. I do not like any of the touted safeties where they are slotted to go. Cyprien would fit well but most have him going off the boards mid first round & there soon after ....way too high for my liking. I want no part of Vaccaro until Saturday late late afternoon. I just soon not look at reaching for any of those safeties until early Saturday morning.

As far as pure deep free type safeties that I prefer is Josh Evans UF who I feel would be a great 5th round pick @ #149 but a bit of a reach @ 4th @ #113. My most favored SS is Shamarko Thomas who would be an excellent 5th #149 selection same as a reach @ #113.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:
Ramhusker said:

You seem to be where most of all Ram fans and talking heads are at. I do not like any of the touted safeties where they are slotted to go. Cyprien would fit well but most have him going off the boards mid first round & there soon after ....way too high for my liking. I want no part of Vaccaro until Saturday late late afternoon. I just soon not look at reaching for any of those safeties until early Saturday morning.

As far as pure deep free type safeties that I prefer is Josh Evans UF who I feel would be a great 5th round pick @ #149 but a bit of a reach @ 4th @ #113. My most favored SS is Shamarko Thomas who would be an excellent 5th #149 selection same as a reach @ #113.

Not quite, I didn't say I wanted the Rams to take a Safety in the first round and I don't want Vaccaro to be a Ram period. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the Rams took two Safeties in this draft. We really don't even have one starter on the roster at this point. That makes it a need to me.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thordaddy said:
I don't think it's a big need, but Nick Wagoner and JT have both said it would not be surprising if the Rams picked up another CB. They did lose Fletcher to FA and there could be some good ones left in third or fourth round. Now with all of the injury talk on Milliner, he could possibly slide. What if Dee slid to #16, wouldn't it be worth it as BPA.