Fisher sets locker room standard for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/2816/fisher-sets-locker-room-standard-for-rams

ST. LOUIS -- When it comes to creating a safe and happy work environment for the St. Louis Rams, it starts and stops with head coach Jeff Fisher.

Teams around the league handle building a strong workplace atmosphere in different ways. Some coaches lean on things like leadership councils or trust in their players to police themselves. But Fisher has been doing this for nearly two decades and, if you include his playing career, he has been involved in NFL locker rooms for far more than 20 years.

Daniel Shirey/USA TODAY SportsRams coach Jeff Fisher said he's committed to creating a safe and respectful work atmosphere.

In that time, Fisher has developed a philosophy of allowing his players only as much leeway as they earn and holds the trump card on when it's time to put the kibosh on certain things or step in to cut something off.

From the moment his players enter the building, Fisher said he does everything he can to immediately establish ground rules with little to no gray area.

“I can say that we’ve established that here," Fisher said. "Yeah, guys will ask rookies to carry their helmets in from practice, but we make it clear to the rookies and the veterans that this is a business environment and the rookies are here to help us win and everyone here is treated with respect. At the same time, it’s OK to have fun."

There is no shortage of fun in the Rams' building. Over the summer, fans were privy to some of the pranks and jokes that go on in the NFL locker room when a number of Rams players included them in the action via social media.

Smack Cam, a game in which players would hit unsuspecting victims with whipped cream pies, preferably when there was a camera on them, was wildly popular amongst players with veterans such as Chris Long and Cortland Finnegan serving as the ringleaders. The game was played only on a voluntary basis and clear rules were set before it started.

At the time, Fisher chuckled when asked about it but also made it clear that the game would come to an end under his directive.

"You guys witnessed firsthand the pie thing with ‘Cort’ and Chris and stuff like that," Fisher said. "It’s OK to have fun, but it’s my job to make sure that you keep a lid on things. The pie thing got to the point where it’s probably enough now because someone’s going to scheme something else up. I think it’s important to come in here and look forward to coming to work and have fun. But, respect factors are the things we preach here.”

It's worth noting, too, that in Fisher's first two years in St. Louis there have been no discernible rookie hazing tactics that go beyond something like a silly haircut or a basic thing like picking up breakfast for a position group. In fact, none of the Rams involved with Smack Cam were rookies and they don't even have to stand up and sing in front of the rest of the team like many rookies used to.

When the regular season arrives, Fisher prefers that his team buckles down. And though he talks to his leaders and assistant coaches, he said he constantly has his finger on the pulse of the locker room.

“I go through the locker room," Fisher said. "I talk to the players individually and walk through stretch and have got coaches and equipment guys. There’s nothing that’s going on that we don’t know about.”

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
In other words, no Incognito-type funny business allowed!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In other words, no Incognito-type funny business allowed!
Yeah. No shenanigans, Tom Foolery, hullabaloo, buffoonery, chicanery, monkey business, or high jinks.

Just (and this one is for @PhxRam) ... pies.

jjab360

Legend
I think Bart Scott put it best what a locker room should be like:
Scott thinks no matter how talented a player may be, there’s no place for him in the locker room if he’s a bad teammate.
“He wouldn’t have gotten away with anything,” he said. “We get guys like that out of our locker room. We don’t care about what he brings to the field, he’s not one of us. That’s supposed to be a sanctuary, those are supposed to be your brothers.
“In the locker room, we tease everybody, but it was nothing personal or directed to one person. If you did something silly in the offseason, we [brought] it up, we made fun of it, we teased you, and if you had enough, we stepped back.
“That’s what teammates do — tease and spend some time with each other. If you take it to the point where you’re harassing him on the phone, you must be some type of loser. To call me in your spare time when we’re away from the building and leave threatening messages on the phone — that takes bullying to another level.”
Link

jjab360

Legend
Also:
"What disturbs me the most is that the veterans on that team weren’t strong enough to confront [Incognito],” he said. “You talk about a young man who had to go to work in fear and terror, and dreading going to what was supposedly place of peace. For the other guys on the offensive line to sit there and watch that are just as guilty as Incognito himself.
You have to wonder if Long was the guy that kept him in check there. I doubt this would've happened under his watch.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah. No shenanigans, Tom Foolery, hullabaloo, buffoonery, chicanery, monkey business, or high jinks.

Just (and this one is for @PhxRam) ... pies.

Pies ? Anyone remember LARF ?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Agreed. Custard makes everything else look bad by comparison.