Fisher: Rams are closing the gap in NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ae104f7d-16e1-5e69-ae0d-eb8851a635b5.html

With San Francisco’s 34-24 victory over Atlanta this week on Monday Night Football, the NFC West completed its season schedule against non-division foes with a stellar 30-10 record. How stellar?

Well, since the divisional realignment that took place with the arrival of the expansion Houston Texans as the NFL’s 32nd franchise, no other division has done better in one season. The ‘02 realignment created four divisions, consisting of four teams each, in both the NFC and AFC.

By finishing 20 games over .500 against non-division foes, the NFC West matched the previous high set by the AFC South in 2007, which also went 30-10 against non-division competition. Rams coach Jeff Fisher was part of the AFC South at that time as head coach of the Tennessee Titans.

The Titans finished third in the division that year, but earned a wild-card berth with a 10-6 record. Jacksonville finished second and also gained a wild-card spot at 11-5. Division winner Indianapolis finished 13-3 and cellar-dwelling Houston was a respectable 8-8.

That marked one of six times since the ‘02 realignment that a division didn’t have a single team finish with a losing record. The Rams (7-8) can make it seven times with an upset victory over Seattle (12-3) on Sunday at CenturyLink Field.

The sterling record this season by the NFC West speaks to the toughness of the division, a division that just three seasons ago had a champion with a 7-9 record (Seattle).

“It does, but again, I feel like we’re closing the gap,” Fisher said. “We’re closing the gap and I hope we’ll be able to catch the other teams. I think one of the things that you probably would discover is how teams struggle after they’ve played teams in our division the next week because they’re such physical ballgames.”

Fisher’s sentiments notwithstanding, the Rams are only 1-4 against the NFC West this season after finishing 4-1-1 against the West in 2012. But they finished 6-4 outside the division after going 3-7 last year.

INJURY UPDATE

Wide receiver/return man Tavon Austin (ankle) did not practice Wednesday but did some work on the side, providing a glimmer of hope that he may be able to play Sunday after missing the Tampa Bay and New Orleans games.

Defensive end Chris Long (thigh) did not practice Wednesday; running back Daryl Richardson (thigh) was limited.

ROSTER MOVES

Left tackle Jake Long, who suffered ligament damage to his right knee last Sunday against Tampa Bay, has been placed on the injured reserve list. The Rams filled his spot by promoting defensive end Sammy Brown to the active roster from the practice squad.

Brown, who joined the team in 2012 as an undrafted rookie out of Houston, has spent the entire 2013 season on the practice squad until now. He spent most of 2012 on the practice squad as well, but after a late-season promotion appeared in seven plays on special teams in the Rams’ 16-13 overtime victory against San Francisco.

To fill Brown’s spot on the practice squad, the Rams signed speedy wide receiver Harry Adams, formerly of Auburn. Adams worked out for Green Bay earlier this month.

WORKING HOLIDAY

The Rams pushed back practice until 4 p.m. on Christmas, about four hours later than usual, but with a game to be played this Sunday, there’s still work to be done.

“The guys were great,” Fisher said after Wednesday’s practice. “We grabbed about an hour and a half, two hours of their time (Tuesday) just to put Tampa Bay stuff behind us. Then let them spend (Christmas) morning with Santa Claus and everything. It was good. They came in around noon, we had a meal, and we’re good to go. Into the prep week.”

Making room for family time on Christmas is important Fisher said, even in a game week.

“It’s important for the organization,” he said. “The coaches and players with youngsters, I think it’s really important. So, we made sure that they were at home (Tuesday) evening in plenty of time, let them sleep in, and do what they want. Those with kids probably didn’t get much sleep, but it was good.”

Alan

Legend
PD post:
ROSTER MOVES

Left tackle Jake Long, who suffered ligament damage to his right knee last Sunday against Tampa Bay, has been placed on the injured reserve list.

They obviously read my post. :lol:

I f I read an earlier post correctly, I think this mean we can save $4 million on his salary. Yes?

V3

Hall of Fame

I f I read an earlier post correctly, I think this mean we can save $4 million on his salary. Yes?

That's what Kevin Wheeler was saying on the radio, unless I misheard him.

RFIP

Can you explain what you mean? How can they save $4 mil on his contract?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Can you explain what you mean? How can they save $4 mil on his contract?
Here's an article I saved after he was signed. It explains it in detail.

Jake Long’s contract with St. Louis Rams actually more complex than originally believed

Earlier today, we broke down Jake Long’s new four-year deal with the Rams and told you how the Rams are betting that Long is going to be healthy and productive over the next three seasons.

It’s true, the Rams are making that bet. But upon further review, they built plenty of protection into the contract in case Long, who has suffered a multitude of injuries over his five-year career, doesn’t last.

The contract is much more complex than originally believed, because of a clerical error. Jeff Ireland called Long’s negotiation with the Dolphins “tricky,” and now we see why.

Here is the real breakdown. It’s complicated, so try to hang with us:

LONG

Years: 4
Total value: $34 million
Total guarantee: $16 million
Signing bonus: $5 million
Workout bonus: None
Not Likely To Be Earned Incentives: $375,000 each year based on playing time and playoffs, and Pro Bowl.

2013 base salary: $3 million (fully guaranteed).
2014 base salary: $8 million (100% skill/cap guarantee at time of signing and $4m guaranteed for injury at time of signing; 100% injury guarantee if on roster last day of 2013 league year).
2015 base salary: $9.25 million ($4 million fully guaranteed if on roster fifth day of 2015 league year), plus up to $400,000 in playing time escalators.
2016 base salary: $8.75 million (no guarantee) plus up to $600,000 in playing time escalators.

2013 salary cap number: $4.25 million
2014 salary cap number: $9.25 million
2015 salary cap number: $10.5 million
2016 salary cap number: $10 million

COMMENT

This certainly is a lot more complex than what we had before. Basically, it’s a two-year deal for Long — and really, only Long’s 2013 season is fully guaranteed, for a total of $12 million ($5 million signing bonus, $3 million 2013 base salary and $4 million guarantee for 2014).

To get the other half of his $8 million salary in 2014, it appears he has to be on the active 53-man roster on the last day of the 2013 season — which means he can’t be on Injured Reserve. That’s a big distinction for Long, who has ended each of the last two seasons on IR.

The Rams could still keep Long for 2014 even if he does get hurt in 2013, though, and since they’re already paying him $4 million for that season, they probably will. But that’s the first “out” for the Rams.

The second “out” is a big one, and that’s before the 2015 season. The Rams can escape from the contract after just two years if they decide to cut him before the fifth day of the 2015 league year (sometime in early March).

If he’s still on the roster then, he gets $4 million guaranteed. If he makes the team that season, he gets the other $5.25 million. But the Rams could also ask him to restructure his contract before that fifth day of the league year (it essentially will work as a roster bonus). And the 2016 season has no guarantee whatsoever. The Rams also built in several incentives and salary escalators for Long based on playing time markers (of which we do not know), playoff appearances and Pro Bowl visits.

So in summation, Long will receive a nice paycheck if he can stay healthy for two years. But the Rams certainly built in plenty of protection in case Long breaks down.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...tually-more-complex-than-originally-believed/

RFIP

Outstanding article! I had not seen it before. Very interesting, thanks.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
So he's only going to cost us 4 million next season, that's pretty cheap. We can draft a LT if we need to, and resign Saffold, and still have Jake playing for us.

So if I'm interpreting that right he isn't actually $4 million cheaper but $4 million cheaper to cut?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
So if I'm interpreting that right he isn't actually $4 million cheaper but $4 million cheaper to cut?

I see where you get that, and I could be wrong...I'm no capologist...heck my own finances are enough to kill me lol but I think that they are saying that we could cut him for 4 million less...it would be our first out...but we keep him for 4 million less as well....our first out is nullified at the end of the season and he is again guaranteed 2015 money.

To get the other half of his $8 million salary in 2014, it appears he has to be on the active 53-man roster on the last day of the 2013 season — which means he can’t be on Injured Reserve. That’s a big distinction for Long, who has ended each of the last two seasons on IR.

The Rams [hl]could still keep Long for 2014 even if he does get hurt in 2013[/hl], though, and since they’re [hl]already paying him $4 million[/hl] for that season, they probably will. But that’s [hl]the first “out” for the Rams.[/hl]

I see where you get that, and I could be wrong...I'm no capologist...heck my own finances are enough to kill me lol but I think that they are saying that we could cut him for 4 million less...it would be our first out...but we keep him for 4 million less as well....our first out is nullified at the end of the season and he is again guaranteed 2015 money.

I read that as we are already giving him $4 million, you may as well give hime the $4 million to keep him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Amazing how good our division is!

"By finishing 20 games over .500 against non-division foes, the NFC West matched the previous high set by the AFC South in 2007, which also went 30-10 against non-division competition."

Alan

Legend
As I said in a different thread, we signed Long at a huge discount (along with some built in protections) because of his injury history. I think think some of that same thinking will play into what Saffold will eventually sogn for. I still see Saffold blue and white (vs blue and gold which I don't like all that much).

I saw your question RFIP (I can't pronounce that without spitting a little bit) and I hope it was answered by others.:D

BTW, I like the addition to the smiley options. It's a good START. I'll be taking them out for a spin at the first opportunity.:lol:

RFIP

I saw your question RFIP (I can't pronounce that without spitting a little bit) and I hope it was answered by others.:D
BTW, I like the addition to the smiley options. It's a good START. I'll be taking them out for a spin at the first opportunity.:lol:
Ram Fan In Pittsburgh

jap

Legend
Amazing how good our division is!

"By finishing 20 games over .500 against non-division foes, the NFC West matched the previous high set by the AFC South in 2007, which also went 30-10 against non-division competition."

Like I pointed out earlier this week, if the Rams upset the 'Hawks this weekend, the NFC West will be the only division in football with no losing records.

Alan

Legend
RFIP mistakenly thinking he's made things easier:
Ram Fan In Pittsburgh

Well that's not much easier to pronounce and takes much longer to say. The only solution I can think of is that you need to move somewhere that doesn't start with P. :referee:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so in reality the rams aren't going to save a cent. They're not cutting him and he will get all of the $8m he's got coming to him.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
We're just in a tough spot alll around. We may be improving, but so are the Deadbirds. The Squawks have probably plateaued as have the Whiners due o all of their rookies coming due in the next two years.
Our division won't get any easier next year - it`ll be a damn dog fight again

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We're just in a tough spot alll around. We may be improving, but so are the Deadbirds. The Squawks have probably plateaued as have the Whiners due o all of their rookies coming due in the next two years.
Our division won't get any easier next year - it`ll be a damn dog fight again

No doubt. 10/11 wins is a lot coming from our division. The Cardinals probably deserve the playoffs over the Saints.

RFIP

No doubt. 10/11 wins is a lot coming from our division. The Cardinals probably deserve the playoffs over the Saints.

Cards certainly deserve the playoffs over GB, Chi, Philly or Dallas but alas playing in bad divisions they are guaranteed a spot.