Fisher: "I'm not really concerned about our age."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Did he just say the youngest roster in NFL history? Really? Well hell yeah, let's getum kids!!!!!!

Anonymous

It's a strange team--in this one respect. Fisher inherited some players, but, it's mostly 2-4 year guys drafted by the Rams. At least the signature players he inherited are mostly 2-4 year guys.

There's also Mikell (who may not hold up) & H. Dahl. Jackson is the only Rams draftee who is in more than his 4th year.

It's hard to judge a 2-4 year team. And then there's 30 something rookies added on top of it (though who knows how many of those make the team).

I can't think of another situation quite like this. A team has a decade worth of bad drafts. A new regime dumps a whole bunch of guys. They start over. In year 4, an entirely new regime comes in. Has anyone ever seen that?

There's still basically no one from the 2000-2008 drafts...what ought to be the core of the team...except Long and Jackson. So the key to the team's success and identity is built around guys acquired from 2009-2011. Counting the free agents too, that's Saffold, Dahl, Amendola, Kendricks, Bradford, Long, Quinn, and Lauranaitis. Significantly, that includes LOT, QB, a key possession WR who has chemistry with the QB, 2 DEs, and the MLB. Man imagine having to find any of that with your new team.

But it also includes many guys we know even less about ie. meaning how they will do in this new context. Fletcher, Murphy, Mikell, C.Dahl, Cole, Hull, Cudjo, Sims, J.Smit.h, Mattison, Big Mike, Pettis, Salas, Gibson, and Miller. Some of those may be solid future stalwarts, or even more than that. Some won't make the 53.

In short. I don;t think we have much of an idea yet what the Rams have.

So, young team. Again, I don't think I've seen anything quite like it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think it's exciting. Win or lose, watching the team grow together will be fun. Of course winning is always better.. But with what we have now, I feel different about the future. Before a losing season was a losing season. Get some new guys and see what happens next year. This already feels different. I'm excited to see the team grow, and learn together. I feel we have our core in place.

I dunno, it's hard to explain. I just feel different going into this season and further than I did before. It really feels like we're building something special.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
I think it's exciting. Win or lose, watching the team grow together will be fun. Of course winning is always better.. But with what we have now, I feel different about the future. Before a losing season was a losing season. Get some new guys and see what happens next year. This already feels different. I'm excited to see the team grow, and learn together. I feel we have our core in place.

I dunno, it's hard to explain. I just feel different going into this season and further than I did before. It really feels like we're building something special.
I feel the exact same way. For the past 7-8 years it felt like after a losing season we'd get some new guys and hope they might turn it around. Somehow, this time it feels like its a virtual certainty that they are going to turn around. This team could become very good for a very long time considering how young and talented that they are and at such important positions: LT, QB, DE, CB, MLB, and DT. And don't forget that the Rams have two extra first round picks for the next two years. They have the opportunity to continue to add young, elite talent

They may not win this year, but they will next year and in 2014 will be Superbowl contenders, mark it down.

Anonymous

brokeu91 said:
bluecoconuts said:

I feel the exact same way. For the past 7-8 years it felt like after a losing season we'd get some new guys and hope they might turn it around. Somehow, this time it feels like its a virtual certainty that they are going to turn around. This team could become very good for a very long time considering how young and talented that they are and at such important positions: LT, QB, DE, CB, MLB, and DT. And don't forget that the Rams have two extra first round picks for the next two years. They have the opportunity to continue to add young, elite talent

They may not win this year, but they will next year and in 2014 will be Superbowl contenders, mark it down.

I never had this "felt like a losing season thing" after 2010. Partly because virtually all the guys you list were already Rams. And partly because what derailed 2011 were things way beyond anyone's control, such as massive extensive injuries.

So I do feel hopeful this year. But it's not a new feeling.

What I like about Fisher, besides Fisher, is his almost crazy good luck. So for example he decides to get back in coaching at the exact same time three legendary position coaches get fired (Waufle, Sherman, Boudreau). I've never seen that before. Vermeil had 2 legendary position coaches--Hanifan and Saunders--and this tops that, even. Fisher didn't even have a staff like that with the Titans.