Fisher frustrated by calls in Dallas game/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher frustrated by calls in Dallas game
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_9c082186-e9e8-50d6-b35f-159517a2b2f9.html

The 448 yards produced by the Rams against the Dallas Cowboys was the highest offensive output for the team in a regulation contest in 30 games.

That was Game 6 of the 2012 season, coach Jeff Fisher’s first with the Rams. They had 458 yards three games later, but had an extra quarter to get there in a 24-24 overtime tie with San Francisco.

So Sunday was a rare day offensively for Fisher’s Rams. They outgained the Cowboys by 108 yards. Trouble was, they gave all but four of those yards back via penalty, because the Rams had 119 yards in penalties assessed against them to Dallas’ 15. That’s a 104-yard differential.

Rarely is there such a wide disparity in penalty yards between two teams in one game. In fact, there’s never been as big a disparity in either direction since the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995.

The next-biggest differential came under Steve Spagnuolo in 2011, when the Rams were assessed 117 yards in penalties compared to 32 for Baltimore — an 85-yard disparity.

On the other sideline, the biggest differential favoring the Rams came in a 27-24 overtime victory over San Francisco in Game 2 of the 2003 season. The 49ers were assessed 121 yards in penalties, while 43 yards were measured off against the Rams — a disparity of 78 yards.

At his Monday media session, Fisher didn’t realize the historical significance of what happened against Dallas in terms of penalty yards. But he wasn’t happy about the 104-yard differential, and he made that clear.

“Believe me, I looked at them,” Fisher said. “We had several of them that are not fouls, probably four in particular.”

The four Fisher was referring to, in chronological order:

• Penalty No. 1: A roughing the passer call against Eugene Sims late in the second quarter, a play in which referee Clete Blakeman explained Sims delivered a blow to the head.

Replays showed that Sims’ left hand hit Tony Romo’s shoulder, and then, as he was falling over a Dallas blocker, it barely grazed the Dallas quarterback’s helmet.

The NFL rule book states that there has to be forcible contact to the head for there to be a penalty. Former NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira, now a Fox television analyst, was brought into the telecast to assess the call. He said there was not enough contact, and it should not have been a penalty.

The result of the drive was a Dan Bailey field goal to cut the Rams lead to 21-10 at the half. Without the penalty, the Cowboys are left facing a third-and-7 from the St. Louis 37, and maybe they don’t kick a field goal.

• Penalty No. 2: An offensive holding call against wide receiver Kenny Britt late in the third quarter on a running play by Trey Watts.

“I didn’t think that was a foul. The (defender) fell down,” Fisher said.

Instead of having a second-and-3 situation from the Dallas 10, the Rams were pushed back to their 17 (on a spot foul), and settled for a Greg Zuerlein field goal.

• Penalty No. 3: Late in the fourth quarter, Sims was called for holding on a play in which he sacked Romo for an 11-yard loss to the Dallas 9. Blakeman’s crew ruled that Sims had impeded Dallas wide receiver Terrance Williams, who was in motion and hadn’t reached the line of scrimmage, from running a pass route.

Both Fox analysts working the game —Daryl Johnston (a former Cowboy) and Tony Siragusa — strongly stated that it shouldn’t have been a penalty, and that it was simply a great play by Sims. Johnston even said he would coach a defensive end to handle the play exactly the same way because you wouldn’t be sure if Williams was blocking or going out on a pattern.

“The Eugene Sims (holding) play is not a foul,” Fisher said. “It was a huge play. We have a sack and we have a third-and-21. If we create an incomplete pass (on the next play), they’re punting out of the end zone. At that time in the game, it’s a huge field-position swing. That’s an incorrect call.”

At the time, the Rams trailed 34-31 with 2 minutes 24 seconds left to play. They lost a potential 40 yards in field position as a result of the call, and also had to burn their final two timeouts.

• Penalty No. 4: The Rams got the ball back four plays later at their 24 on a Chris Jones punt. But Janoris Jenkins was called for holding on the play, and the Rams took over at their 14 yard after the penalty yardage was stepped off.

“And there’s no foul there in my opinion,” Fisher said. “That’s a huge field position swing considering we started that drive on the 14-yard line. So I’m disappointed in that.”

In summary, Fisher added: “But to answer you question — the disparity? I don’t know. In my opinion, there were a dozen or so, maybe more, offensive holds that weren’t called (against) the Cowboys.”

He said defensive tackle Kendall Langford was pulled down by a Dallas blocker on the 68-yard touchdown pass from Romo to Dez Bryant early in the third quarter. But there was no call. In fact, Fisher said there were touchdowns against Tampa Bay and Minnesota that should’ve been called back because of penalties that weren’t called — a false start that wasn’t called against the Buccaneers and a holding call that wasn’t made against Minnesota.

“So technically, we’ve had three touchdowns scored against us that were improperly officiated,” Fisher said.

Even so, Fisher said the Rams have to play beyond the calls by minimizing mistakes of their own doing.

“The penalties didn’t create our turnovers,” Fisher said. “The penalties didn’t cause the interception return for a touchdown. We weren’t penalized when we fumbled the snap at midfield. So we can control the things that we can control, and we didn’t do it well enough to win this game.”

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
00192740.zoom.a.jpg

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Maybe if Fisher speaks up after the Min game,some of the penalties in the Tampa Bay and Dallas game are not called

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I laughed. Fisher is keeping a tally and bringing it out means he's getting just as frustrated as we are.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
How much you wanna bet the only thing that comes out of this is Fisher gets a fine for attacking the officiating?

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Well, Hitler (Goodell) is mad but he hears the Russians kicking his door down. Now's the time to kick the little dicktater in the spuds.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
Maybe if Fisher speaks up after the Min game,some of the penalties in the Tampa Bay and Dallas game are not called
Tell me how much has the whining and yelling at officials helped Jim Harbaugh get less penalties called against the niners last sunday?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
In summary, Fisher added: “But to answer you question — the disparity? I don’t know. In my opinion, there were a dozen or so, maybe more, offensive holds that weren’t called (against) the Cowboys.”

There it is!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How much you wanna bet the only thing that comes out of this is Fisher gets a fine for attacking the officiating?
And then, look out for the ref's in our next game, remember " Hell hath No furry Like a 'Bitch' scorned!" or something like that!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Guess we'll see how coach speaking up does when they play next. If you don't get the calls at home, don't expect them on the road! :mad: How'd they do on calling holding against our o line?

duckhunter

Starter
Happy to see Fisher acknowledge what fans are seeing.

Back in the Big Red day, we would say every time we went to the snake pit in Dallas that the Big Red had play 11 versus 16 because the Refs were absurdly prejudice against us.

cracengl

Rookie
Aside from the disparity, the thing that frustrates me the most is just how much the refs have gone downhill the past few years. I remember when Hoculi (sp?) was one of the best guys. Now you just have to groan if he's working your team's game. I just don't get it. It seems like they were doing a better job when there was less league mandated nitpicking being forced on them. And I don't really understand the whole "in the name of safety" bullshit. This is tackle football. It's not safe. That's the risk the players take to play the game and they get paid very well to take that risk.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm legit surprised that Fisher called those awful calls and non-calls out. He's always been very PC with the refs. Perhaps the refs should realize that, if Jeff Fisher is telling you you suck, you really, really suck.

Athos

Legend
Tell me how much has the whining and yelling at officials helped Jim Harbaugh get less penalties called against the niners last sunday?

Then you got to bring the owner and the GM down to the field and get in the turd nugget official's faces every game.

Make as much a scene as possible. Eat the fines because at this point, it is either eat a fine, or eat the loss.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
And then, look out for the ref's in our next game, remember " Hell hath No furry Like a 'Bitch' scorned!" or something like that!

i hope it works the other way. i bet we get some holding calls on our d linemen next game

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
Kind of like the dead ball they called last night when the Jets had a scoop and score. I am sure there are a lot of other coaches that are pissed. Now the Jets lost by 8 but had the ball in the red zone to end the game. The refs usually let the play go since it can be reviewed but they clearly had a huge effect on the outcome of that game.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Kind of like the dead ball they called last night when the Jets had a scoop and score. I am sure there are a lot of other coaches that are pissed. Now the Jets lost by 8 but had the ball in the red zone to end the game. The refs usually let the play go since it can be reviewed but they clearly had a huge effect on the outcome of that game.

There was also that horrible PI call they called on the DB in th 1st, which really was on Jeffrey. Gave them about 40 yards and a 1st and goal which they got a TD from.

…..

Legend
Unfknblvble

for all the work Jeff as done with the competition committe, to include working with officiating crews and union, these problems are just unbelievable.

What needs to happen now is that jeff needs to go on a tirade about officiating, and create a firestorm. The ensuing fine will get the the fan base and team fired up as well as create awareness and back these fkn refs off our asses.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
I sure we can agree that Harbaugh antics on the sideline compared to Fisher goes a long way when they both speak up for their teams.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
and yet it is SF's players whining about officiating costing THEM 2 games. UnFlucking real.