Fisher Explains Thinking Behind Trade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
I love the pic, but think you guys will like the article. Good explanation of why the Rams went with the Redskins over Browns.
538138.jpg

Fisher explains thinking behind trade

Several teams inquired about trading for quarterback Sam Bradford, but Fisher insisted the Rams were committed to the former first overall pick. (Tim Heitman-US PRESSWIRE)

April 4, 2012
Rams coach Jeff Fisher says a trade up with Cleveland to the fourth pick in the first round is a possibility and also acknowledged there were teams that inquired about trading for quarterback Sam Bradford.

Since being hired, both Fisher and general manager Les Snead insisted they were committing to Bradford. That was confirmed when the Rams traded the second overall pick in next month's draft to Washington for the sixth overall choice in the round, a second-round pick (39th overall) along with first-round picks in 2013 and 2014.

Recently, Browns president Mike Holmgren claimed the Browns made an offer every bit as good as Washington's and said relationships between the Rams and the Redskins led to that deal being made.

At the league meeting Wednesday, Fisher said he has no hard feelings about Holmgren's comments and acknowledged a trade up with the Browns for their fourth overall choice is in play.

"Yeah, I would think so," Fisher said. "I don't know if we'd consider going that high. Those conversations aren't going to take place until draft day because your guy's got to be there. It'll be interesting to see what kind of compensation they want. We're very happy with the compensation we've got right now over the next couple of years."

Naturally, Fisher left all options open, indicating a trade down is also a possibility, and he added, "I think it probably would be more realistic for us to move down than it would up."

Fisher also expounded on the trade with Washington in responding to questions about the Browns' offer. After saying the Redskins' offer was better, Fisher was asked, "So, Cleveland's offer wasn't as good as Washington's?"

He told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "Well, apparently in their eyes they thought it was. But in our eyes we thought Washington's offer was best for us."

The Browns are believed to have offered their two first-round picks this year and another No. 1 next year. It appears they didn't offer a second-round pick because Fisher also told the Post-Dispatch, "We also were really interested in the 39th pick (Washington's second-round pick)."

It's possible Holmgren considered his team's offer better because of the presence of two first-round picks this year. Fisher explained to reporters why that wasn't necessarily attractive to the Rams.

He said, "If you look at it from this perspective: I haven't met the players yet, haven't seen them on the field, and I realistically don't know what we have. We'll have a much better idea after the season what kind of team we have. And our needs very well may change. To have an opportunity to have two 1s in '13, '14 was really important to us.

That's precisely the issue. You know, an opportunity to actually maybe dictate a little bit in future drafts as opposed to having two picks this year. They give you a lot more flexibility."

As for Holmgren's comments, Fisher also told reporters, "We didn't make a decision because of my relationship with Mike or anyone's relationship with anybody else. We did what we thought was in the best interest of our organization from a trade value. And that was just quite simple. They may have disagreed with their offer and its value vs. the offer we got from Washington and its value. But we never shopped back and forth. We met separately with both clubs."

On the subject of Bradford, Fisher said, ""His name came up, not from us. Clubs inquired. But there was no consideration whatsoever on our part (to deal him). I evaluated him coming out, and watched him play. Obviously he had an exceptional rookie year. Last year was a difficult year for him. It was a difficult year for the entire Rams offense because of different circumstances. There's no question after watching tape of his rookie year that he has a chance to be special."

Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland reported the Browns were one of the teams that had interest in Bradford, noting that Holmgren tried to trade up to draft Bradford in 2010. Browns head coach Pat Shurmur was the Rams' offensive coordinator for Bradford's rookie season.

Fisher wouldn't name teams, saying, "I prefer not to get into specifics about the conversations. I can say there were teams that inquired."

Go Sam!!! Go Rams!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cool. I think Fisher's rationale makes perfect sense. We can improve the team with the picks we got this year but in '13 and '14, with a better knowledge of the players, we can make far more educated decisions and with two #1 pics in each of them, make them REALLY count. And I love that they believe in Sam.

steferfootball

Starter
RamFan503 said:
Cool. I think Fisher's rationale makes perfect sense. We can improve the team with the picks we got this year but in '13 and '14, with a better knowledge of the players, we can make far more educated decisions and with two #1 pics in each of them, make them REALLY count. And I love that they believe in Sam.
Fisher's rationale is "We got 3 first round draft picks, and a second to boot."

No further explanation is needed. :razzed:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
steferfootball said:
RamFan503 said:

Not to pick nits but we traded the first so we would have gotten two additional firsts by trading with either team. I think his point was that rather than take two of them this draft when we really didn't know that much about our personnel, we would rather spread them out and pick based on what we then knew FIRST HAND were needs. In that respect, having two first round picks this draft was not as valuable to them as having additional picks in future drafts. But that's just what I read into it.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:
RamFan503 said:

Not to pick nits but we traded the first so we would have gotten two additional firsts by trading with either team. I think his point was that rather than take two of them this draft when we really didn't know that much about our personnel, we would rather spread them out and pick based on what we then knew FIRST HAND were needs. In that respect, having two first round picks this draft was not as valuable to them as having additional picks in future drafts. But that's just what I read into it.

Yeah, after reading this post, that's what I came away with as well. Makes perfect sense.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
iBruce said:
RamFan503 said:
steferfootball said:
RamFan503 said:

Yeah, after reading this post, that's what I came away with as well. Makes perfect sense.

Agreed. I think we can all agree that the Browns would have been the ideal trading partner. They would have potentially offered more immediate help for us, the Redskins deal really helps us in the long term. We have so much more flexibility in the 2013 and 2014 drafts now. The extra 2nd round pick was just a nice bonus this year lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
Agreed. I think we can all agree that the Browns would have been the ideal trading partner. They would have potentially offered more immediate help for us, the Redskins deal really helps us in the long term. We have so much more flexibility in the 2013 and 2014 drafts now. The extra 2nd round pick was just a nice bonus this year lol.
Yeah I think Fisher makes a good point. He's now working off of the previous regime's scouting department, and who knows if he's going to change that up next year. If he does, then it stands to reason that he wants HIS guys scouting the next two draft classes, so that he can mix his own players into the fold. The Browns would have only offered a 2013 1st round pick. Plus, of course, he hasn't really been able to fully assess the players on the team right now. So getting an extra pick this year leads to a less than informed decision about where his true (perceived) weaknesses are at the moment.

steferfootball

Starter
Anyone think we've started trade rumors with moving up with Cleveland to drum up a deal from Miami?

Miami keeps getting rejected for everything they do and hasn't had a franchise quarterback in over a decade...perhaps they get desparate and trade up for tannenhill...(ideally overpaying along the way)

Right now it looks like there is a clear path for Miami to get him...perhaps the trade up rumors are to throw a wrench in this plan...?_