Fisher Doesn't Take First Round Ol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Our current O line:
Hooey/Jones/Barnes/Dahl/Barksdale

I don't mind if we don't spend a first round pick on the OL but if we walk into next season with that as our O line I know what we'll be using a first round pick on next year.

Here's a big question to be answered too...When has Fisher as a HC had a QB like Sam Bradford which so much is riding on who is a traditional pocket passer with a some very high elite talents & skills along with some not so talented skills. Those not so elite talented skills are ....pocket mobility/maneuverability, agility, straight-line speed, major durability concerns, not so quick feet to evade pressure issues....The 2014 OL is much weaker that the 2013 OL was when it ended......even Helen Keller would be shocked if Snead & Fisher do not go heavy fast & early into refurbishing this pathetic 2014 OL. Rams have little cap room so where else can they go where the instant & quick improvements can be attained???

Here's a big question to be answered too...When has Fisher as a HC had a QB like Sam Bradford which so much is riding on who is a traditional pocket passer with a some very high elite talents & skills along with some not so talented skills. Those not so elite talented skills are ....pocket mobility/maneuverability, agility, straight-line speed, major durability concerns, not so quick feet to evade pressure issues....The 2014 OL is much weaker that the 2013 OL was when it ended......even Helen Keller would be shocked if Snead & Fisher do not go heavy fast & early into refurbishing this pathetic 2014 OL. Rams have little cap room so where else can they go where the instant & quick improvements can be attained???

Depends if they bring back Saffold, and whether Long is expected to be healthy (I doubt he will be). It would be almost criminal to go into 2014 with the above as your starting O line, less so with Long/Jones/Barnes/Saffold/Barksdale especially if they have faith in Jones. I wouldn't mind drafting all O line with the first 4 picks, and I wouldn't mind drafting no O line, it just depends on what happens before the draft.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Depends if they bring back Saffold, and whether Long is expected to be healthy (I doubt he will be). It would be almost criminal to go into 2014 with the above as your starting O line, less so with Long/Jones/Barnes/Saffold/Barksdale especially if they have faith in Jones. I wouldn't mind drafting all O line with the first 4 picks, and I wouldn't mind drafting no O line, it just depends on what happens before the draft.
Agree with the bolded portion but can you imagine an O line like the one I've posted below if we could pull it off with a couple of trade downs?

Long/G. Robinson/Barnes or B. Jones/Saffold/Barksdale

In this scenario, if Long is not ready for the season opener, and I would be surprised if he is, either Saffold or Robinson could play LT until Jake is ready having Barnes or Jones fill the OG position.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Depends on what happens before the draft.....what happens free agency? What is expected to occur? Saffold signing with another team, Rams release Harvey Dahl due to cap casualty (I see where Harvey is having surgery on his ankle wondering if that will prevent his release), other ex Ram Ol'ers starters like Chris Williams, Shelley Smith & Tim Barnes without contracts. The feasibility of keeping other OL'ers like Mike Persons, Sean Hooey & Brandon Washington? Thank goodness that the Rams have at least two known statuses of Ol'ers in Joe Barksdale & Barrett Jones.

fearsomefour

Legend
Depends on what happens before the draft.....what happens free agency? What is expected to occur? Saffold signing with another team, Rams release Harvey Dahl due to cap casualty (I see where Harvey is having surgery on his ankle wondering if that will prevent his release), other ex Ram Ol'ers starters like Chris Williams, Shelley Smith & Tim Barnes without contracts. The feasibility of keeping other OL'ers like Mike Persons, Sean Hooey & Brandon Washington? Thank goodness that the Rams have at least two known statuses of Ol'ers in Joe Barksdale & Barrett Jones.
Its interesting because the Rams have invested heavy in WR in the draft, avoiding FA at that position, but, have invested FA dollars in the line (with mixed results) but havent invested much in the draft. Long has worked out well (grade moved to incomplete with the injury) and Wells not so well. The only guy drafted by the team on the line is Saffold. So, spending money has worked with mixed results and drafting has generated no real fruit. Saffold is the key to everything. If he walks via FA I dont see how the Rams can release Dahl and Wells. With Williams and maybe Smith moving on it leaves the cupboard very bare. There are thinks I would like to see the Rams do but I think reality is going to be closer to the internior line being Barnes/Wells/Dahl next year.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Its interesting because the Rams have invested heavy in WR in the draft, avoiding FA at that position, but, have invested FA dollars in the line (with mixed results) but havent invested much in the draft. Long has worked out well (grade moved to incomplete with the injury) and Wells not so well. The only guy drafted by the team on the line is Saffold. So, spending money has worked with mixed results and drafting has generated no real fruit. Saffold is the key to everything. If he walks via FA I dont see how the Rams can release Dahl and Wells. With Williams and maybe Smith moving on it leaves the cupboard very bare. There are thinks I would like to see the Rams do but I think reality is going to be closer to the internior line being Barnes/Wells/Dahl next year.
Your point is well taken but I hope that is not the case. I much prefer the signing of Saffold, the release of Wells and Dahl, and the drafting of an OT and OG within the first 3 rounds.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Went back to 2005 on Most Teams....here's a list of the interior OL'ers selected in the first rounds.
Jon Cooper
Chance Warmack
Kyle Long
Travis Frederick
Mike Pouncey
DeCastro
Kevin Zeitler
Alex Mack
Watkins
James Carpenter
Mike Iupati
Eric wood
Albert Brandon
Ben Grubbs
Nick Mangold
Daven Joesph
Chris Spencer
Logan Manikins

About 1/4 of these guys were playing after the regular season was over. These interior OL'ers were selected by some of these teams...New England, Seattle, San Francisco, KC Chiefs & Philadelphia.
That's a nice looking list you got there.
Proves that you get what you pay for applies to the draft too.

A55VA6

Legend
I hate drafting OL first round. I'm glad fisher does the same. You can find quality players deeper in the draft.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
So let me get this straight. Fisher doesn't draft first round O-lineman and Snead says WR isn't a need. So you can cross off Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, and Evans off your wish lists (includes me, too.) By a majority on this board, those are our favorite prospects we're crossing off! Man... pretty wild.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hate drafting OL first round. I'm glad fisher does the same. You can find quality players deeper in the draft.

Can you give me a few good examples of a Ram found quality OL'er who was found deep in the draft?

A55VA6

Legend
Can you give me a few good examples of a Ram found quality OL'er who was found deep in the draft?
Can you give me a few good examples of a Ram found quality O'er who was found in the 1st round? Barron and Smith? lol they suck. Yeah Pace was great, but really... I'd rather draft lineman 2nd round or later.

iced

5) Reportedly the Rams were prepared to take Larry Warford in the past draft if Alec Ogletree had been taken before the 1.30 pick, which would have blown up the theory right there.

warford was just one of 3 or 4 players that was their back up choice - they also talked about trading back again if ogletree wasn't there...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Can you give me a few good examples of a Ram found quality O'er who was found in the 1st round? Barron and Smith? lol they suck. Yeah Pace was great, but really... I'd rather draft lineman 2nd round or later.

Fisher era 2012 till present-Zero
2000 till 2012 just one third day deep draft pick can be found he was an OG Mark Setterstrom over a decade ago he only started 9 games in the NFL. That's the best example we have. A third round selection is not what you call deep but the only next OL'er found is Richie Incognito who started 44 Ram games & was kicked out of StLouis mid season for being a horses butt. Those are the only two I can come up with.

I can give you well over a dozen of the 16 first round Ram draft picks since 2000 most all were big failures just happen 2 were OT's to go with the other Ram NFL position failures. Based on the above I would find it hard to say that this Ram team is a good example of a NFL team that can find quality OL'ers deep in the draft.

iced

So let me get this straight. Fisher doesn't draft first round O-lineman and Snead says WR isn't a need. So you can cross off Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, and Evans off your wish lists (includes me, too.) By a majority on this board, those are our favorite prospects we're crossing off! Man... pretty wild.

start to expect a corner lol

fearsomefour

Legend

Doesnt make sense. You can find good players regardless of position later in the draft if your skilled/lucky enough.
One thing that does not change is that 45% of the players you have to line up on every offensive play are Olineman. If you line struggles your entire O is going to struggle. A guy like Stacy was found late and did some nice things for sure. He was still taking time off and splitting plays. Those five guys up front (ideally) are playing every offensive snap in game. It only makes sense to invest in those positions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Who can name what unit of the 2012/2013 Rams teams had more injuries by far than any other unit? DL-LB-DB-ST-QB-RB-WR-TE-OL????