Fisher dismisses shakeup talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_dc6da358-04f0-5972-8779-e3c1d175322b.html

Inside the walls at Rams Park, there are legions of diligent souls who have worked feverishly to distance themselves from the organization’s not-so-distant dysfunctional past. In case you’ve forgotten (and oh my gawd, how could you?), that past was an unsightly thing, fueled with backstabbing subplots, comical soap operas and serial incompetence.

Well these Rams are not those Rams.

These Rams do not intentionally engage in deceit and duplicity.

These Rams do not believe that outrageous vanity has higher value in the business of pro football than obvious ability.

The owner tried to make that clear the moment he took over control of the organization, speaking of creating a culture whose entire purpose was to create a winning environment; the idea was to make Rams Way an organizational philosophy, not merely a street address.

Perhaps that’s why on Monday afternoon, coach Jeff Fisher was so dismissive of the rumors that were swirling around his football team on Sunday, with media reports that suggested there was some sort of palace coup brewing at Rams Park. Depending on what you were willing to believe, Pro Football Talk reported that general manager Les Snead, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and defensive coordinator Tim Walton were all in danger of losing their jobs.

“That comes from someone that doesn’t know what they’re talking about,” Fisher sniffed.

A few years ago, I could believe any backstabbing tale that came out of Rams Park, because that’s the way those Rams did business.

You didn’t have to rely on gossip and innuendo filtering down from unknown sources. That’s because there were no unnamed sources with those Rams. It was such a messy, comedic calamity, and everyone was up front about it.

But the Fisher-Snead-Kevin Demoff era hasn’t shown any signs of such toxic behavior. There could very well be some creative tension within the ranks. There could very well be some disagreements from time to time about personnel and philosophies, but the way owner Stan Kroenke plotted this thing out, there would be an ultimate authority at the top who would cast the deciding vote.

If you’ve noticed anything over the past two seasons, Fisher isn’t like his contemporary in Washington, the duplicitous Mike Shanahan. He does not assert his authority with any quiet conniving or any ego-driven grandstanding.

There’s no need to preen or make sure you know that he’s the one in charge.

So let’s say he has been the one who has changed the Rams from a pass-happy, wide-open offense to a ground-and-pound smash-mouth attack; let’s assume he is the one who has taken a more hands-on approach with Walton’s defensive game plans, too.

Well, first of all, it seems to be working.

But secondly, isn’t that what a head coach — at least a good one — is supposed to do?

But you don’t hear Fisher strutting around taking credit for it. And if you’ve ever watched him on the practice field, you notice that he lets his coaches coach.

So is there any creative tension with his coordinators? I’d be surprised if there wasn’t at some point during the course of any season. Is that tension enough to cause a coup?

I doubt that Fisher would dare to take the hit for firing two defensive coordinators in back-to-back years. Who do you hire after that? Perhaps only a desperate man, and who wants that when you’re trying to build something good and long lasting?

If you haven’t been able to figure it out by now, Fisher is building something here, and for the first time in ages, the Rams as a football organization are on a clear ascent.

They were 7-8-1 in the first year of the Fisher-Snead regime, and with two games to play, the young and inexperienced Rams are in a position to win seven or eight games with their starting quarterback Sam Bradford missing half the season.

Tell me that’s not progress. Tell me you could have forecast that the Rams could have won three or four or five games with Kellen Clemens running the offense?

This is still one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and with that youth comes the frustration of a team that can beat three division leaders — the 10-4 Saints (NFC South), the 9-5 Indianapolis Colts (AFC South) and 8-6 Chicago Bears (NFC North) — and give you a glimpse into their full potential.

But they can also frustrate you with their inconsistent play where they can lose too many games because of silly penalties, unnecessary turnovers and unpredictable play.

“We’re very young, and sometimes we don’t have an experienced voice to tell us what to do,” said rookie safety T.J. McDonald. “But we are getting that experience and learning as we go. We’re learning and we’re holding each other accountable now, which is something rare for such a young team.”

But that was part of the plan when Fisher and Snead began to lay out the process of rebuilding this sorry franchise. They were going to do it with youth and the draft and they were going to deal with the growing pains on the front end because a young team that is talented and grows together can become an experienced winner on the back end.

It’s why Snead put together the deal that could prove to be the most spectacular in Rams history when he traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 draft to Washington — the Robert Griffin III deal — that laid the foundation for the Rams future.

So far, the Rams have parlayed the RGIII trade into the selection of current players Janoris Jenkins, Michael Brockers, Isaiah Pead, Alex Ogletree, Stedman Bailey and Zac Stacy.

There is still one more pick left in that crazy draft haul for the Rams, Washington’s 2014 first round pick, that right now would be the No. 2 overall pick in April.

So tell me again, even if you want to question some of Snead’s free-agent signings, how can the man who put together that deal be on anyone’s hot seat?

If the Rams sit tight on this ’14 pick, which turns into the second overall pick, they’d be in a position to grab South Carolina’s beast of a defensive end Jadaveon Clowney, UCLA outside linebacker Anthony Barr or Texas A&M stud offensive tackle Jake Matthews. Let’s not forget that their own first-round pick — which is shaping up to be a mid-round selection — could have them in position to select a wide receiver like USC’s Marqise Lee or A&M’s Mike Evans.

But knowing Fisher and Snead’s history, they’re probably already thinking of ways to shop that No. 2 pick again and see if they can reap even more riches in a similar get-rich-quick trade with another willing sucker … er ... trade partner.

The Rams have radically upgraded the talent on this roster. They have players that other teams want. They have one of the best defensive players in the NFL (Robert Quinn). They have a rookie running back who might rush for 1,000 yards (Stacy). They have a defensive line that is considered one of the best in the NFL. And they have the draft picks and salary cap room to go get more.

There was a time not too long ago when this couldn’t have been possible.

But that was those Rams, not these Rams.

Bryan Burwell is a columnist for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Read his columns here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But knowing Fisher and Snead’s history, they’re probably already thinking of ways to shop that No. 2 pick again and see if they can reap even more riches in a similar get-rich-quick trade with another willing sucker … er ... trade partner.

Yep I worry a little about that underlined common thought in the minds of most all NFL Orgs. Due to the ongoing circus in Washington DC ...I mean the Redskins.

I like most other ROD'mers would love another trade close to what we got in 2012 sadly I don't see a trade one for three ones & a two. It all depends on what the Texans do..they go QB I see 3 to 4 top ten drafting NFL teams jockeying up a bit to get the guy they want...or you can bet that the Falcons @ #5 & the Bucs @ #7 or even the Jags @ #4 would be drooling over a chance for a DE like Jadeveon Clowney @ #2. Snead should be ecstatic over the promise of could be trades...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Muck rakers rake muck ,not content to see Washington implode people try to sew discord,like Burwell says these aint the Zygmunts any more .
I'm sure someone will want to trade for that pick ,but the thing is we should get 3 impact players even if we don't trade it, this rivals the Hershal Wlker trade that built the three time Sb winnig Cowboys.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Snead being on the hot seat is just crazy talk IMO. Took the worst team of the decade and rebuilt it. The Rams are only a couple players away from kicking ass again.

V3

Hall of Fame
This is why I said in another thread that I'd believe Walton being fired when I see it.

Also, I just don't have a good feeling about us trading down this year. I just feel this draft doesn't have the elite talent to make teams start a bidding war. I hope I'm wrong on that.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Also, I just don't have a good feeling about us trading down this year. I just feel this draft doesn't have the elite talent to make teams start a bidding war. I hope I'm wrong on that.
There's always elite talent. The part that makes this year different is there are 6 or 7 teams that need a new QB yesterday. They will move up because this isn't a QB heavy drat. If Bridgewater stays there will be even more incentive to trade up with us.
Unless we think Clowney is gonna be a hall of fame, we should trade down and acquire more draft picks. Even if he does bloom into that caliber player, he's one guy, I'd rather have three solid guys who can contribute then 1 super star who has shown a propensity to dog it at the collegiate level.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
A good article from Burwell.
After watching what the Rams have become in two short years I trust they already have been working with other organizations to get thing rolling on the trade down scenarios. They will do what is best given those options and the Rams will continue to grow and move out of that perennial looser we have suffered through.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I say Clowney just so we can call the Clowney / Quinn pass rush Clowninn.

Hawks' fans, don't worry about ol' Wilson, we just Clowninn.

As for the article, I don't see any major changes in personnel. I hope to see some major changes in scheming. A boy can dream.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
There's always elite talent. The part that makes this year different is there are 6 or 7 teams that need a new QB yesterday. They will move up because this isn't a QB heavy drat. If Bridgewater stays there will be even more incentive to trade up with us.
Unless we think Clowney is gonna be a hall of fame, we should trade down and acquire more draft picks. Even if he does bloom into that caliber player, he's one guy, I'd rather have three solid guys who can contribute then 1 super star who has shown a propensity to dog it at the collegiate level.
Although the general idea you advance is one I embrace,if I was convinced a player like Clowney would be as dominant as Lawrence Taylor , and with another 1st round pick in my pocket ,Id have to be convinced a bargain player ala Brockers or Ogletree was waiting for me with the picks cuz JMO two players of Robert Quinn's ilk on defense in a passing league would make us able to count on one of them to be likely to take a game over.
In the end I think numbers of players could be becoming less of a concern for this team than looking for THAT GUY who really puts a team over the top.As usual though I think that Snead has a good eye for elite athleticism and we're going to be even more athletic again next year

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
l Wish we could trade C Long Before the draft and take Clowney! Barring that, trade the pick and get O line and db help.Maybe a back up qb 3rd round.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep I worry a little about that underlined common thought in the minds of most all NFL Orgs. Due to the ongoing circus in Washington DC ...I mean the Redskins.

I like most other ROD'mers would love another trade close to what we got in 2012 sadly I don't see a trade one for three ones & a two. It all depends on what the Texans do..they go QB I see 3 to 4 top ten drafting NFL teams jockeying up a bit to get the guy they want...or you can bet that the Falcons @ #5 & the Bucs @ #7 or even the Jags @ #4 would be drooling over a chance for a DE like Jadeveon Clowney @ #2. Snead should be ecstatic over the promise of could be trades...

It was actually a net of two first rounders and a second rounder. But to address your point of getting another trade like they pulled with WASH I agree it'll be difficult. And in part because the layer who generated that deal is looking more and more each day to not be worth the draft slot let alone the ransom to get into that slot.

We will need the media to go into massive QB Hype to generate enough interest this year. Otherwise no team is going to cough up that much draft capital in this new era with this new CBA, the draft picks are just to valuable now.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
l Wish we could trade C Long Before the draft and take Clowney! Barring that, trade the pick and get O line and db help.Maybe a back up qb 3rd round.

Why spend a 3rd on a backup QB when KC has proven to be good enough. That's a round where you can add depth to the OL or secondary, or even a starter in those units, I'd hate to see a QB drafted there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It was actually a net of two first rounders and a second rounder.
Yes in a way LesBaker, I look @ these picks in more detail than most I look at a he took & lost one pick & then gained four picks originally....he turned it into four picks @ the end of the 2013 draft with much more to come.
Snead trades one Rams 2012 First rounder #2 pick for :
#1-Skins 2012 First round #14 DT- M.Brockers
#2-Skins 2012 Second round#39 CB-J.Jenkins
#3-Skins 2013 First round #22 -traded ATL. for (1st rd'er #30) & (3rd rd'er #90) LB-Ogletree & WR S.Bailey
#4-Skins 2014 First round #2 ???

We will need the media to go into massive QB Hype to generate enough interest this year. Otherwise no team is going to cough up that much draft capital in this new era with this new CBA, the draft picks are just to valuable now.
Yes I agree with you 100% how can we help!...Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Zach Mettenberge, Blake Bortles, Tajh Boyd, Johnny Manziel, [URL='http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/38230/brett-hundley']Brett Hundley, David Fales & AJ McCarron who did I leave off??[/URL]