Fisher, Bradford - Post Practice (videos, transcripts)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The dates of those articles are interesting. The article I read actually talked about his early troubles in that area but then went on to say how much he had improved. That doesn't address your own observations of course but remember that Quinn is playing at a position that is the epitome of "it takes 3 years to really master the position and/or comment about a players ability". I wouldn't bet any money on my own personal observations about his play but I too think he made big strides in his run D. Which, like I said, is what the article talked about.

Chris has already had his 3 years and I think we already know what we have there. He might make some incremental improvements but I doubt he'll ever be labeled a good run stopper.

Like I said in my original post, I could easily just be reaching for a deeper meaning than what's there but I'd really like to hear what our other posters observed about Quinn's run blocking. there's probably a ranking of that at PFF but it's beyond my ability to dig it out. (hint hint)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
Like I said in my original post, I could easily just be reaching for a deeper meaning than what's there but I'd really like to hear what our other posters observed about Quinn's run blocking. there's probably a ranking of that at PFF but it's beyond my ability to dig it out. (hint hint)
Since you asked....

Quinn's ranking in run support is better than that of Chris Long (-4.8 vs -10.0). Their rankings support the idea that neither are very adept at stopping the run, and that's why I was SO hoping the Rams would re-sign Hayes. Both are good pass rushers, but Long by FAR outshines Quinn in that department (-6 vs +17.7). And the thing that bothers me about Quinn is how he can be 'directed' up the field by a good tackle. This is the year, I hope, that his power moves become a bit more rounded (bull rush, club, etc).

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X coming through in the clutch:
Since you asked....

Quinn's ranking in run support is better than that of Chris Long (-4.8 vs -10.0). Their rankings support the idea that neither are very adept at stopping the run, and that's why I was SO hoping the Rams would re-sign Hayes. Both are good pass rushers, but Long by FAR outshines Quinn in that department (-6 vs +17.7). And the thing that bothers me about Quinn is how he can be 'directed' up the field by a good tackle. This is the year, I hope, that his power moves become a bit more rounded (bull rush, club, etc).

HAH! I wasn't full of it! :zomg1: At least not completely anyway. :sure:

That's how I remember it. He made improvements in his run D over the the second half of the season and with another year in the books I see him really stepping up. Both in strength and technique.

In regards to his pass rush, I hope Chris takes him along to some of his MMA training classes. I think they helped Chris quite a bit with his hand work.

Of course that still isn't talking about my thoughts about why Tree will be on the left side but I'm happy with just remembering something correctly. :ja: :dancin:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
albefree69 said:
X coming through in the clutch:
Since you asked....

HAH! I wasn't full of it! :zomg1: At least not completely anyway. :sure:

That's how I remember it. He made improvements in his run D over the the second half of the season and with another year in the books I see him really stepping up. Both in strength and technique.

In regards to his pass rush, I hope Chris takes him along to some of his MMA training classes. I think they helped Chris quite a bit with his hand work.

Of course that still isn't talking about my thoughts about why Tree will be on the left side but I'm happy with just remembering something correctly. :ja: :dancin:

What? :shock: :clap: I almost shipped my pants.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Odd. I thought I remember hearing how good CL was in run defense and how that was the area Quinn most needed to work on. Are we sure that these stats tell the story? For example, did we rely more on CL to stop the run with less support? Aren't more runs designed to go CL's way? Guess I'm just not buying the stat as the answer because I remember hearing the exact opposite. Can someone find anything written about CL's lack of run defense over the last couple years?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
Odd. I thought I remember hearing how good CL was in run defense and how that was the area Quinn most needed to work on. Are we sure that these stats tell the story? For example, did we rely more on CL to stop the run with less support? Aren't more runs designed to go CL's way? Guess I'm just not buying the stat as the answer because I remember hearing the exact opposite. Can someone find anything written about CL's lack of run defense over the last couple years?
Stats never tell the whole story. Those were just cumulative rankings over the course of the season. Long had more *bad* games than Quinn, but that's just a numbers' interpretation of the story. Could be more runs were aimed that way, and it could be that he was double-teamed more than Quinn. I don't view Chris as a liability against the run so much, but I don't see that as his strength either.

Write-ups would probably be the way to go, but even that can be subjective depending on the writer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Write-ups would probably be the way to go, but even that can be subjective depending on the writer.

Completely agree but it would be a written record of at least that observation. Doesn't really matter though. Quinn definitely needs to work on his run defense - I'm sure CL will continue to work on his. But right now, I'll take CL at LDE all day and twice on Sundays.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Well speaking of write ups, (and I know I'm pushing my luck here) I faintly remember reading about Chris being replaced by Hayes on obvious running downs. If true, that would say quite a bit about the Long vs Quinn run D debate.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I just found this. Maybe I just misread this article. I don't think so though.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/12/4095204/rams-sign-william-hayes-nfl-free-agents-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/12/ ... gents-2013</a>
Hayes was a one-year flyer for the Rams in 2012, signed to a one-year, $1 million deal to bolster the depth on the defensive line. He came from Tennessee where he played for Jeff Fisher. Prior to landing with the Rams, Hayes was a part-time player mostly used as a rotational run stopper. With Chris Long on the other side and Robert Quinn in the mix too, Hayes broke out for a career-best seven sacks.

:domg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
Well speaking of write ups, (and I know I'm pushing my luck here) I faintly remember reading about Chris being replaced by Hayes on obvious running downs. If true, that would say quite a bit about the Long vs Quinn run D debate.
I'm fairly certain it was Quinn who was replaced by Hayes in those situations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
I just found this. Maybe I just misread this article. I don't think so though.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/12/4095204/rams-sign-william-hayes-nfl-free-agents-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/3/12/ ... gents-2013</a>
Hayes was a one-year flyer for the Rams in 2012, signed to a one-year, $1 million deal to bolster the depth on the defensive line. He came from Tennessee where he played for Jeff Fisher. Prior to landing with the Rams, Hayes was a part-time player mostly used as a rotational run stopper. With Chris Long on the other side and Robert Quinn in the mix too, Hayes broke out for a career-best seven sacks.

:domg:

X said:
albefree69 said:
I'm fairly certain it was Quinn who was replaced by Hayes in those situations.

That's what I'm reading into that quote from the article. CL was on "the other side". Keep looking Albe. :7up:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hayes would also kick inside with Quinn on the outside on occasion.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
RamFan503 thinking small ball:

That's what I'm reading into that quote from the article. CL was on "the other side". Keep looking Albe. :7up:

I'm thinking of using the Nuclear Option. :hehe:

You know, the one where you just ignore anything that doesn't support your contention. Very popular on many boards. :bg:

I also plan on sulking for a while. :wahhh:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
You know, the one where you just ignore anything that doesn't support your contention. Very popular on many boards. :bg:

I seem to remember that tactic being used by someone... hmmm... who could that be....
:twisted:

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
RamFan503 said:
albefree69 said:

I seem to remember that tactic being used by someone... hmmm... [hil]who could that be....[/hil]
:twisted:
lol, the color red gave it away instantly!