First Salas, now Hoomanawanui

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Source: Hoomanawanui set to join Pats

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... -join-pats

The Patriots are on the verge of signing tight end Michael Hoomanawanui to their 53-man roster, according to a source, a move that further highlights how the team has prioritized the position this year.

Hoomanawanui entered the NFL as a fifth-round pick of the Rams in 2010. He played under current Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels with the Rams last year.

Hoomanawanui (6-4, 263) was released by the Rams on Sunday and landed on the Redskins practice squad. The former Illinois target totaled 20 catches for 229 yards and three touchdowns in 16 games with the Rams over the last two seasons.

The deal is contingent on Hoomanawanui passing a physical. The Patriots would then make a corresponding roster move, likely with tight end Visanthe Shiancoe heading to injured reserve, sources say. It's possible Shiancoe could be placed on the new short-term IR, making him eligible to return later in the season.

The expected signing of Hoomanawanui shines a brighter spotlight on how the Patriots have aggressively stocked the position this year, from signing Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez to extensions, while also claiming Jake Ballard on waivers, and signing free-agents Daniel Fells and Shiancoe.

The Patriots' base offense features two tight ends, and without depth behind Gronkowski and Hernandez in 2011, the team had little insurance in the event of injury. That showed up in the Super Bowl when Gronkowski was less than 100 percent.

The Patriots kept four tight ends on their initial 53-man roster this year, which is a high total.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Wow, can you imagine him in that offense fully realized?

I wish Big Mike the best, but fuck the Patriots!

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can already hear the PD screaming when big Mike has a good year.

Good on him, but fuck the Pats.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Look at who he's playing behind. This is about the same as a team saying we got Andre and Calvin Johnson and Mike Sims Walker at wr. After the first two who really gives a used box of cat litter.

I wish him well. If not for the injuries he might have became a better player.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It does make me smile a little just knowing that the pats are putting some of our "rejects" on their 53.

Josh and the cheat ... Dumpster Divers.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Selassie I said:
It does make me smile a little just knowing that the pats are putting some of our "rejects" on their 53.

Josh and the cheat ... Dumpster Divers.
Good point and a real testament to the complete overhaul and overall roster upgrade in 1 season. To me, there is a lot more talent on this roster than previously. We're not fixed, but moving in a positive, sure direction.