First Republican Primary Debate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Now why you gotta bring in my drink of choice Pepsi into things?
Now, I always tell a waitress that asks me if Pepsi is ok that she'll have to ask the females at the table since Coke is for men.:p But honestly, I've tried to stop drinking those poisons although the urge wins out every once in a while, especially when up north and they don't serve sweet tea. What in the hell is wrong with you Yankees? o_O

bluecoconuts

Legend
Whats flawed IS the system. Look at the last 14 years and change. Arguably (I don't really want to argue) the worst run of "leadership" our country has ever seen. From all appearances nothing has changed. Does anyone really think any of these people on either side of the isle have the ability to change a system that self regulates from within? Money, money and influence.
If we continue on the path we have been on we are doomed.
Coke and Pepsi, same poison with a different ad campaign.
The next swearing in day cannot get here quick enough.

One of the biggest reasons why I would be okay with Bernie winning would be that he would undoubtedly focus on getting money out of politics as much as possible, and that's what we need. It has made things so much worse so quickly, and it'll only go downhill.

Its unlikely he would win, and frankly unlikely he would be able to change it though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now, I always tell a waitress that asks me if Pepsi is ok that she'll have to ask the females at the table since Coke is for men.:p But honestly, I've tried to stop drinking those poisons although the urge wins out every once in a while, especially when up north and they don't serve sweet tea. What in the hell is wrong with you Yankees? o_O
I just order ginger ale off the menu now, and 90% of the time I'll get it.
If a restaurant has a small bar, or serves drinks, it's no problem.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
People love to talk all this crap on Trump, saying he is a chauvinist. The dude goes for the throat. He isn't afraid to hit below the belt. He knows where it will hurt the most and he swings for it. He has said more rude crap to men than women, but because it's a woman, suddenly it's worse. Rosie is a freaking pig of a woman and she had it coming. I have no issue with someone, during an argument, saying any damn thing they want. There are no rules. That said, do I want that personality for my future president....not sure on that.

I'm where you are on a lot of things Trump stands for. But I don't think this country takes him seriously enough to win the nomination. Maybe if he's tone down that rhetoric. But he wouldn't be who he is if he did that. That's what his supporters love about him. He says things other candidates wish they could say.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
A communist, muslim and illegal alien walks into a bar. The bartender says "Hello Mr. President". :sneaky:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rubio might be the first republican in the digital age that can woo votes for superficial reasons (he's good looking and a good speaker). That was the Bill Clinton strategy, and to some degree Obama. Some people actually fall for that and cast a vote for those reasons.

As best I can tell, he is a professional politician and I am out on any of them. I prefer people who have a decent amount of private sector experience. But, then, I think of Dick Cheney and have to pause. :eek:

As far as how Rubio did in the debate? Like most professional politicians, it's white noise to me... as Pink Floyd wrote:
"Your lips move, but I can't hear what you're saying"
:LOL:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It takes time to examine candidates, to become familiar with their record or their plans and policies for the country. The fact is that many people can't be bothered with that.
Here's the (potential) problem I have noticed...

Campaign platform = 10 important things the person plans to do
Once in office = 3 of those things actually get done.

So, you have to be realistic when researching the candidate... the Washington machine is bigger than any one person... but a country mile!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

The more females the better! Oh and soda isn't bad if you only drink every now and then. I try to limit it to 2-3 times a week.

Did you grow up on Mars? :LOL::p;)

Immigrant household in America. Might as well be Mars.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
@PA Ram made a good point.

The founding fathers put in place a system that HEAVILY relied on its citizens being vigilantly participatory. Checks and Balances! Democracy is the hardest system of self-governance because it constantly requires maintenance by the citizenry. Hence the government OF the People, BY the People, FOR the People...

The problem now is that about half of the citizens of this country want NO PART of our democracy. I could go into the numbers of eligible voters vote in Presidential elections, but it's depressingly low. Since 1972, the percentage hadn't been above 55% until 2004 when it was 55.7% and in 2008, it peaked at 57.4 before coming down to 54.9% in 2012.

Barely half of our electorate wants to participate in the process and that's inclusive of the expansion of voting rights access (well, except lately when that's been attacked under the guise of voter fraud). The point being that beyond that when it comes to non-Presidential national elections, state and local elections, the turnouts are even worse.

And when it comes to other civic duties like jury duty, people can't run away fast enough. We all want a working judiciary and we want the smartest, most deliberative jurors possible should we ever be accused of a crime, but if we're ever called? It's pretty bad.

I've asked the question about whether we should still have democracy anymore or if we should pick a system that fits what we can actually live with. I'm not advocating for anything, but 55% turnout doesn't seem like a ringing endorsement. And no, I'm not for a Brazilian style mandatory voting because that causes a different set of problems.

I mean, the founding fathers built us a big ol' barn of a house, but it's the kind of house the requires a ton of maintenance. Almost half of the people in the house have no desire whatsoever to maintain the house at all. But we still need some kind of shelter. We've tried remodeling here and there and we constantly tinker, but we're not committed to making democracy work. And because of that lack of commitment, there are those who can and do take advantage of that and those who are taken advantage of. It's not what was intended.

And this pertains to the debates because at some point a candidate has to point the finger back at the people and ask the question back, "what government are you willing to work for?" We need some form of self-governance. No one wants a dystopian nightmare. The question is how to do it....and I don't profess to have the answer.

There's a reason OF the People and BY the People comes before FOR the People. That much I do know.

WE are the government, not these spokesmodels and entertainers posing as politicians.

I'd love for the debates on either side to really speak to the issues or rally the electorate to want to participate as was intended or to at the very least make clear where the candidates stand. Even that's pie in the sky fantasy.

The debates have become reality tv and we're all losers for that. Anyone remember Carter debating Reagan? I do. And maybe that's the problem. I have short term memory issues, but I remember. I remember that it wasn't always like this...it wasn't always this vapid and stupid and short-sighted.

I dunno. I watched part of the debates and I just couldn't do it. I remember William F Buckley, Jr and Noam Chomsky and watching The Dick Cavett Show when he'd have a politician on. It's a circus now and while I love the smell of popcorn... I'm just sick of the smell of elephant and donkey crap.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this just felt like "the same ol' Disco" and I had this overwhelming urge to jump in with some Disco Demolition. I apologize if my Steve Dahl moment caused any damage...

beej

Rookie
@PA Ram made a good point.

The founding fathers put in place a system that HEAVILY relied on its citizens being vigilantly participatory. Checks and Balances! Democracy is the hardest system of self-governance because it constantly requires maintenance by the citizenry. Hence the government OF the People, BY the People, FOR the People...

The problem now is that about half of the citizens of this country want NO PART of our democracy. I could go into the numbers of eligible voters vote in Presidential elections, but it's depressingly low. Since 1972, the percentage hadn't been above 55% until 2004 when it was 55.7% and in 2008, it peaked at 57.4 before coming down to 54.9% in 2012.

Barely half of our electorate wants to participate in the process and that's inclusive of the expansion of voting rights access (well, except lately when that's been attacked under the guise of voter fraud). The point being that beyond that when it comes to non-Presidential national elections, state and local elections, the turnouts are even worse.

And when it comes to other civic duties like jury duty, people can't run away fast enough. We all want a working judiciary and we want the smartest, most deliberative jurors possible should we ever be accused of a crime, but if we're ever called? It's pretty bad.

I've asked the question about whether we should still have democracy anymore or if we should pick a system that fits what we can actually live with. I'm not advocating for anything, but 55% turnout doesn't seem like a ringing endorsement. And no, I'm not for a Brazilian style mandatory voting because that causes a different set of problems.

I mean, the founding fathers built us a big ol' barn of a house, but it's the kind of house the requires a ton of maintenance. Almost half of the people in the house have no desire whatsoever to maintain the house at all. But we still need some kind of shelter. We've tried remodeling here and there and we constantly tinker, but we're not committed to making democracy work. And because of that lack of commitment, there are those who can and do take advantage of that and those who are taken advantage of. It's not what was intended.

And this pertains to the debates because at some point a candidate has to point the finger back at the people and ask the question back, "what government are you willing to work for?" We need some form of self-governance. No one wants a dystopian nightmare. The question is how to do it....and I don't profess to have the answer.

There's a reason OF the People and BY the People comes before FOR the People. That much I do know.

WE are the government, not these spokesmodels and entertainers posing as politicians.

I'd love for the debates on either side to really speak to the issues or rally the electorate to want to participate as was intended or to at the very least make clear where the candidates stand. Even that's pie in the sky fantasy.

The debates have become reality tv and we're all losers for that. Anyone remember Carter debating Reagan? I do. And maybe that's the problem. I have short term memory issues, but I remember. I remember that it wasn't always like this...it wasn't always this vapid and stupid and short-sighted.

I dunno. I watched part of the debates and I just couldn't do it. I remember William F Buckley, Jr and Noam Chomsky and watching The Dick Cavett Show when he'd have a politician on. It's a circus now and while I love the smell of popcorn... I'm just sick of the smell of elephant and donkey crap.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this just felt like "the same ol' Disco" and I had this overwhelming urge to jump in with some Disco Demolition. I apologize if my Steve Dahl moment caused any damage...

I tend to lean more towards higher education in the people that vote rather than just getting more people actually voting. And in doing that I'm not talking about one party being smarter than another, or one demographic being smarter than another. I simply believe that there are people out there, who are not informed well enough to make a decision, and their vote could do more harm than good. If they want to vote that's their right and I would never, obviously, try to stop it. but it does make me cringe sometimes.

Even for myself, sometimes, I get to thinking, I don't know enough about this or that to decide how I feel about it. And often times, when it comes to things like Free Trade agreements, economic policy, or national security interests, there is so much that comes in to play. And a lot that they are not telling us. So our views are slanted in a direction that if we had the whole story, might go the other way.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just had to post this because... EPIC FUNNY!

I'm a huge fan of Bad Lip Reading...so enjoy.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Whats flawed IS the system. Look at the last 14 years and change. Arguably (I don't really want to argue) the worst run of "leadership" our country has ever seen. From all appearances nothing has changed. Does anyone really think any of these people on either side of the isle have the ability to change a system that self regulates from within? Money, money and influence.
If we continue on the path we have been on we are doomed.
Coke and Pepsi, same poison with a different ad campaign.
The next swearing in day cannot get here quick enough.
Yup.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Kinda. Christie and Paul got into it a little bit. Trump just sounded like Trump, so people got to see how un-Statesman-like he is and how that would look if he was President. You know, compared to how guys like Bush and Carson come across. That whole "I speak my mind" stuff is gonna lose its appeal to people eventually. He won't tone it down, but he should because his messages are good.

He's the guy you want negotiating your treaties and agreements that no one ever hears about. A terrible president and an invaluable cabinet spot. Seriously, invaluable in many ways, and a bull in a china shop in others. I don't think he would take a spot less than president though.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
What is all this hibbery jibbery stuff? Ain't no one got time for votin' and paying 'tention to the perils of crooked gov't. They'll getcha at some point, reel ya right in. (just having fun). I honestly pay no attention and haven't for over a decade or more. Props to those that believe real change is actually feasible.