First Look: Rams travel to Denver to wrap up preseason against Broncos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

First Look: Rams travel to Denver to wrap up preseason against Broncos​

After playing their first two preseason games at home, the Rams head to Denver, Colorado to take on the Broncos for their third and final preseason game. Kickoff from Empower Field at Mile High is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. pacific time on ABC-7.

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Broncos:

Notable Broncos additions

Acquired QB Teddy Bridgewater in a trade with the Panthers on April 28: Denver sent its 2021 sixth-round pick to Carolina for Bridgewater, adding the seven-year veteran to its quarterback room to compete with third-year pro Drew Lock.

Drafted CB Pat Surtain II ninth overall in this year's draft: The Alabama standout is expected to bring versatility to the Broncos' secondary, and had a pick-six in his first NFL game.

Top performers in 2020

Lock completed 254 of 443 pass attempts for 2,933 yards with 16 touchdowns against 15 interceptions.

RB Melvin Gordon led Denver's ground attack with 215 carries for 986 yards and nine touchdowns, with RB Phillip Lindsay chipping in 118 carries for 502 yards and one touchdown.

WRs Jerry Jeudy and Tim Patrick paced the Broncos' receivers. Jeudy had 52 receptions for 856 yards and three touchdowns, while Patrick had 51 for 742 and six.

S Justin Simmons snagged a team-high five interceptions, while linebacker Alexnader Johnson tallied a team-high 124 total tackles.

On special teams, K Brandon McManus made 28 of 34 field goal attempts and 24 of 27 extra point attempts. P Sam Martin averaged 46.8 yards per punt, tied with the Chargers' Ty Long for ninth-most in the league.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

Quarterbacks will likely be the center of attention in Saturday's game. Or at least leading into it.

On the Broncos side, they have a quarterback competition which could be called as early as this week. If it doesn't, expect to see both Bridgewater and Lock getting reps against the Rams on Saturday.

As for the Rams, with Devlin Hodges getting waived on Monday, it will be the Bryce Perkins show again. Rams head coach Sean McVay on Monday said John Wolford will be available if need be, but they don't plan to play him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me the storyline isn‘t as much Perkins, I am still locked in on; oline depth, running game.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’m actually excited to watch 7th rounder Garret possibly go up against a 1rst stringer, if that can be arranged.

Curious who will return KOs.
Meredith on OL.
Our new defensive rookies, et al.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams are very likely to get thumped in this game.
Broncos are still in evaluation mode with their QBs, so will be playing starters and top backups a lot in this game.
But it will be good to see the Rams 3rd stringers measure themselves against starters, at least the defense. Broncos D may take a different approach.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams are very likely to get thumped in this game.
Broncos are still in evaluation mode with their QBs, so will be playing starters and top backups a lot in this game.
But it will be good to see the Rams 3rd stringers measure themselves against starters, at least the defense. Broncos D may take a different approach.
I am laughing right now... because as I typed this, the Broncos announced Bridgewater as the starter. Maybe that changes the approach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teddy was just announced the starter, he beat out Lock for the job.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see this game as a good one. There are some really good Ram players looking for jobs here on this conclusion of pre-season. It should dial up some very good performances sprinkled in with a few Evans's turds too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Teddy was just announced the starter, he beat out Lock for the job.
Do you think that will significantly change the Bronco approach to this game, as far as starters? I think it does, but still expect their starters to play a good amount on offense.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think that will significantly change the Bronco approach to this game, as far as starters? I think it does, but still expect their starters to play a good amount on offense.
Hard to tell really, if anything we don’t see Teddy we see Lock for a half and whoever their third is for the rest. Fangio is so hard to read.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would take Perkins over Teddy tbh. Teddy's a guy who needs shit good around him and even then he can't pull the trigger half the time. Another flag football QB.

Broncos might be calling for a QB after this one lol.

TexasRam

Legend
Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects do their thing. You know, our rookies.

Not sure who is going to play but hoping to see good showing from the following:

Jacob Harris - Can he continue to get open and hold onto the ball?
Tutu - Can he break loose?
Meredith - Can he continue his dominance?
Jones/Funk - Can either break loose?
Rochel - Not sure if he's cleared to play.
Garrett - Can he do his best Aaron Donald impression and wreck things again?
Reed/Hughes - Can they continue to impress and get a roster spot?
Perkins - Can he continue to impress and show he can put some zip on his ball?
Akers/Koski - Can one of these guy blow it up and earn a roster spot?
Gay- Can he put it through the middle of the uprights and lower my blood pressure?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The best part for me about this game, is that it”#the last one!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tutu - Can he break loose?
I want to see him back there making good decisions on punt returns. If he hadn't fair caught that one punt he'd probably have a TD or a huge return on the books. So mentally he's not there yet which is a really big concern with Calais out. This is my top priority in this game so hope they have him ready.

And I agree OL will get interesting if Meredith has a great game. It's gonna be fun to see how things shake out. What I do love about this year's team is the competition being so much better across the depth chart. It has made for fun film review and anticipation for us, and also better play on the field. However those final cuts go we're gonna have a deeper team this year that's for sure.

Psycho_X

Legend
If he hadn't fair caught that one punt he'd probably have a TD or a huge return on the books. So mentally he's not there yet which is a really big concern with Calais out.
Idk, I'd rather he play it safe if he's unsure than to do what Calais did last week chasing a punt through traffic and fumbling it even if it was called back due to penalty. Nothing pisses me off more than a kick return turnover. But I agree it'd be nice to have a return man again who understands that fine line and has ball security.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk, I'd rather he play it safe if he's unsure than to do what Calais did last week chasing a punt through traffic and fumbling it even if it was called back due to penalty. Nothing pisses me off more than a kick return turnover. But I agree it'd be nice to have a return man again who understands that fine line and has ball security.
Agreed on the turnovers, securing the ball is job one with punt returns no doubt.

But I linked a photo of that play in the other thread. He fair caught the ball with only two defenders coming in, both more than ten yards out and blocked and the rest of the group not even in the picture. It's probably an experience and repetition thing but he still needs to fix that. You're not gonna get a look like that very often doing returns gotta take advantage when it happens.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'll be paying even more attention to the D line with Robinson out. Brown's been playing with one hand, I'm just wondering if he'll be ready to take a bunch of snaps with Gaines at the nose so that SJD can take the snaps at the 5. And the battle between Williams, Banks and even Hoecht is interesting. I think Copeland is a guy who will be on a roster, I just don't know that there's any more upside there, so the Rams will likely go in a different direction, in my opinion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll be paying even more attention to the D line with Robinson out.

Me too.

Defense in general... Linebacker… Depth in secondary...

I am also glad it’s the last one @Loyal. At the same time I enjoy watching preseason football. Rams, anyway.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm curious to see if anyone who hasn't played so far plays.

Still finding it hard to believe that Donte Deayon is a lock to make the team.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm curious to see if anyone who hasn't played so far plays.

Still finding it hard to believe that Donte Deayon is a lock to make the team.
I just can't believe he is. In my mind he's not playing because the Rams know who he is and are trying to see what the other CBs on the roster have to offer. He's just way too small, imo, to be giving a roster spot to out of training camp. Maybe I'm just seeing things completely wrong.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just finally found out my first seen information on the lower leg injury to RT Tremayne Ancrum.

Rams Injury Report vs Broncos Week 3​

The following Rams players have been ruled out for today’s game against the Denver Broncos: Nick Scott (out), Robert Rochell (questionable), Trishton Jackson (questionable), Tremayne Anchrum (questionable).

I will be quickly looking to see which OL'er starts @ RT? Chandler Brewer, Alaric Jackson, Bobby Evans, Max Pircher.

I would prefer to see Chandler Brewer start off early, then a big dose of Alarc Jackson & then Max Picher late.

Last edited: