First Look: Rams resume NFC West play at Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
First Look: Rams resume NFC West play at Cardinals

The Los Angeles Rams return to NFC West play by traveling to Phoenix to take on the Arizona Cardinals this week, with both teams still seeking their first divisional win this season.

In advance of the matchup, here’s an early look at the Cardinals, including notable additions, their top statistical performers in their most recent game, where they rank in certain statistical categories and key storylines.

Notable additions
  • Traded for RB Kenyan Drake in October. Acquired from the Dolphins in exchange for a conditional 2020 draft pick, Drake quickly carved out a role with Cardinals, posting 15 carries for 110 yards and one touchdown against the 49ers on Oct. 31 while starter David Johnson and backup Chase Edmonds sat out due to injury. His 212 yards in three games with Arizona are 38 more than he had in six games with Miami this season.
  • Drafted QB Kyler Murray No. 1 overall in April. The former Oklahoma standout is the Cardinals' leading passer (2,703 yards) and rusher (418) so far this season.

Top performers in Week 11 (Arizona's bye week was Week 12)

Murray completed 24 of 33 pass attempts for 150 yards and two touchdowns in a 36-26 loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

Drake led the backfield with 16 carries for 67 yards, both game highs, adding six receptions for 13 yards.

WR Christian Kirk led all cardinals receivers with 41 yards, tying with Kirk for the team lead in catches with six. Wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald (five for 37) and Pharoh Cooper (three for 35) accounted for each of Murray's passing scores.

Defensively, safety Budda Baker registered a team-high 13 total tackles. LB Jordan Hicks added 12. Hicks and rookie safety Jalen Thompson each recorded an interception.

On special teams, kicker Zane Gonzalez made both of his field goal attempts and both of his extra point attempts.

Rankings

Offense
  • Points Per Game: 15th (22.5)
  • Yards Per Game: 20th (343.9)
  • Passing Yards Per Game: 18th (226.2)
  • Rushing Yards Per Game: 15th (117.7)
Defense
  • Points Allowed Per Game: 30th (28.8)
  • Yards Allowed Per Game: 31st (415.2)
  • Passing Yards Allowed Per Game: 32nd (297.5)
  • Rushing Yards Allowed Per Game: 23rd (117.6)
Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

It's going to be another big test for the Rams' defense in Week 13. All eyes will be on the backfield, and not just because of Murray – this week could be the first time the Cardinals have Drake, Johnson and Edmonds all at their disposal.

According to AZCardinals.com's Kyle Odegard, Arizona head coach Kliff Kingsbury told reporters Monday that there is "definitely" a way to integrate all three into the team's offensive gameplan against the Rams this week. Should the entire trio be available, that would have Los Angeles preparing for three different running backs capable of rushing for 100 yards in a game.

Furthermore, without there being film of them using all three in the same game, that makes preparation for L.A.'s defense much more difficult, given the unpredictably of what Arizona's offense may throw at it.

For the Rams' offense, Sunday's game could be a chance to get back on track given where the Cardinals' defense ranks statistically.

fearsomefour

Legend
Would love to see a two TE look at times.
Jones Drew made a good point about all play callers falling into tendencies.
Every team watches film and collects data. They know (the example he used) on a 3rd and 6 Kupp has been the favorite target by a large percentage. Double coverage rolls to him in that situation. 3rd and more than 9 the teams runs one or two plays a lot. Teams will just key in there.
So, can run the same formation even but do different things at different down and distance could be effective at mixing defenses up.
That said, would like to see some other formations too.

socalrams90

Starter
We’ve been counting this game as a win all year and I’ve always thought we could lose to AZ, especially now with our recent firm. They match up well against us.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
They match up well with most teams. They can score and we cant. Soooooo I wouldn't be surprised If we lose this one. I actually dont mind losing. McVay needs to change and he needs to get on Goff's ass

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Would love to see a two TE look at times.
Jones Drew made a good point about all play callers falling into tendencies.
Every team watches film and collects data. They know (the example he used) on a 3rd and 6 Kupp has been the favorite target by a large percentage. Double coverage rolls to him in that situation. 3rd and more than 9 the teams runs one or two plays a lot. Teams will just key in there.
So, can run the same formation even but do different things at different down and distance could be effective at mixing defenses up.
That said, would like to see some other formations too.

That's why having a quality control guy to look for these tendencies on our side is so critical, and I would hope McVay considers that in the offseason.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First time in 3 years that I'm not pumped up for a game . Steelers and Ravens games took the wind out of the sails .

Ellard80

Legend
First time in 3 years that I'm not pumped up for a game . Steelers and Ravens games took the wind out of the sails .

Perhaps I actually am somewhat looking forward to this one.. because I think we actually have a chance of not looking like shit on offense.

But yeah never know.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

anyone starting goff in fantasy against the worst pass d in the league?

me, i'm gonna have a hard time starting him over jackson or murray.

after the game the oompa and jackson had against the rams mini oompa has to be a lock to start.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Ramsey will lock down Fitzgerald so as long as we contain Murry we shouldn't have a problem winning here. We'll probably play zone against them which we're not great at so that could hurt us. We need someone with some speed to spy Murry. Their defense isnt very good so we should be able to move the ball on them. Hopefully Mcvay gets the running game going and stays with it. I think this is going to be a game us Rams fans need after what happened on Monday night.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's why having a quality control guy to look for these tendencies on our side is so critical, and I would hope McVay considers that in the offseason.
He may have one. But in the moment in the game and in the flow of play calling he may not even be aware he is doing it.
He to redflag those plays.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Look at it this way. We had Lamar Jackson to contend with last week and Kyler Murray this week. That's like in baseball swinging the bat in the on-deck circle with the lead weights attached. Take the weights off and that bat feels light. We thus should be well prepared for a mobile threat like Murray. Hopefully some run-stopping adjustments on D too.

Our offense might score a TD or two (or three) this week. Overall the score might be close but we should be on top.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I see the Rams are -3...I almost hate to see them as favorites to anybody anymore...Except that their D is pretty much the bottom feeders of the NFL, this game could give me heartburn...This looks like a good chance to get the O going...

dang

Legend
This game will be for pride. Every player needs to look deep inside themselves and decide if they can dominate the Cards player they are matched up with. It’s obvious the Rams have the superior roster but that is why you play the game. The Cards are playing with looseness and an attitude that they have nothing to lose. This will likely result in a challenge to the Rams but one they should be up to.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah if the cards can get their D to play better they will be a scary team next year

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We are getting a team that absolutely took 49ers to the brink. I just watched the game. The score of that game does not represent what truly happened in that game. 49ers were hoping for a win until about 4 minutes left in the 4th.

Cardinals went up big early and even when niners fought back Cards continued to battle.

This will without a doubt be a test for Rams tomorrow.

The almost added assistant Kliff Kingsbury will surely be wanting to best his buddy Mcvay.