First Look: Rams host Jets on Sunday seeking playoff berth

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

The Los Angeles Rams (9-4) host the New York Jets (0-13) on Sunday to conclude the AFC East portion of their schedule. L.A. can clinch a spot in the playoffs with a win. Kickoff from SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif. is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. pacific time on FOX.

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Jets on Dec. 20, including notable Jets additions, some of New York's top statistical performers in Week 14 and key storylines.

Notable Jets additions
  • Selected former Baylor wide receiver Denzel Mims with the 59th overall pick in this year's draft. A pair of hamstring injuries delayed his Jets and NFL debut until Week 7, but he's been productive since then, averaging 3.2 catches for 54 yards in six games. His speed (unofficial 4.38-second 40-yard dash at this year's combine) provides a deep threat for the Jets offense; he's averaging 17.1 yards per catch.
  • Claimed kicker Chase McLaughlin off waivers on Monday. In wake of former starter Sergio Castillo's release on Tuesday, McLaughlin will likely replace him and kick on Sunday. McLaughlin most recently played for the Jaguars, making 4 of 5 field goal attempts and 3 of 4 extra point attempts in three games this season. He was on the Vikings' practice squad prior to signing with Jacksonville.
Top performers in Week 14

QB Sam Darnold completed 14 of 26 pass attempts for 132 yards in the Jets' 40-3 loss to the Seahawks.

RB Frank Gore (23 yards) and RB Ty Johnson (16) shared the backfield lead with eight carries each, but it was RB Josh Adams (team-high 27 yards on six carries) who was the most efficient of the group against Seattle's defense.

WRs Braxton Berrios and Breshad Perriman tied for the team lead in receptions with three each, but Berrios led all Jets receivers with 49 yards.

Defensively, LBs Neville Hewitt and Harvey Langi finished with a team-high nine tackles each, while S Marcus Maye added an interception.

On special teams, Castillo – who had been filling in for starter Sam Ficken, who is currently on injured reserve with a groin injury – made only 1 of 4 field goal attempts.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

This week is straightforward for the Rams: Win, and secure a playoff berth.

However, achieving that goal won't be as easy as it seems. Just ask Rams wide receiver Robert Woods.

Six years ago, Woods was on a Bills team carrying an 8-6 record and playoff aspirations into a Week 16 game against the 2-12 Raiders. Buffalo needed to win its final two regular season games and some help from other teams in order for those postseason hopes to materialize, but a 26-24 loss Oakland knocked it out of playoff contention.

In other words, the lesson from Woods' experience is that although the Jets are winless, they should not be taken lightly. Look no further than six of their 13 games this season being decided by 10 or fewer points.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
If the rams are legit, they won't lose to the jets. It's a prefect set up for the jets 1st win. We will see what kind of team we have the next 3 games. Go rams.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
This should be a game where we get so far ahead in the first half that we can consider resting some key players in the fourth quarter.
No reason why we shouldn't win comfortably.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Top performers in Week 14

QB Sam Darnold completed 14 of 26 pass attempts for 132 yards in the Jets' 40-3 loss to the Seahawks.

RB Frank Gore (23 yards) and RB Ty Johnson (16) shared the backfield lead with eight carries each, but it was RB Josh Adams (team-high 27 yards on six carries) who was the most efficient of the group against Seattle's defense.

WRs Braxton Berrios and Breshad Perriman tied for the team lead in receptions with three each, but Berrios led all Jets receivers with 49 yards.

On special teams, Castillo – who had been filling in for starter Sam Ficken, who is currently on injured reserve with a groin injury – made only 1 of 4 field goal attempts.

Wow, those are some pitiful, helpless stats for the Jets' O against Seattle. It will take a concerted effort for them to play even worse against the Rams.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
TRAP GAME

We've had trouble winning 3 games in a row all year. We haven't done that since the start of 2019.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
the very definition of a trap game with everything on the line next week in Seattle.. but.. just take care of business

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rams favored by 17. Unreal. Rams haven’t been favored by that much since the GSOT way back in 2001.

So yeah, really hard to imagine how the Rams could lose this one.

OTOH, that first &#%^~*% Niners game served as a bitter reminder of why “any given Sunday” is still so damn true in the NFL.

Then again... the Jets franchise has got to be thinking of Trevor Lawrence. If they go all out to win a game, that would be pretty stupid at this point...

dang

Legend
The MIA game will serve as a reminder that anything can happen. So when it does be prepared to respond. #1 take care of the football. #2 control the clock. #3 protect Goff.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is definitely a game that they should “Release the hounds” on both sides of the ball. Don’t get fancy, smash the Jets on both sides of the ball like Seattle did. Then reel it in in the 3rd or 4th quarter (IMO).

Hope is a powerful thing, just ask LukeSkywalker

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Reeks of a trap game, take care of business and we are in though. Should be a massacre, I’ll be nervous until we show up though.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would rather we go pass heavy even at the risk of potential turnovers.

Its time to get our passing game tuned up and this is a great opportunity to build up some rhythm and confidence in our air attack and give Run DMC a light load. This should be the last game the Rams feature Malcolm Brown imo. Give him the bulk of carries and 3rd downs to protect Goff.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The MIA game will serve as a reminder that anything can happen. So when it does be prepared to respond. #1 take care of the football. #2 control the clock. #3 protect Goff.

I'm not sure the 'Phins are a good comparison, because they actually turned out to be better than almost anybody thought they were..Point well taken though...The any given Sunday adage is not a fairy tale for sure...

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is a golden opportunity to rest some starters in the 2nd half while looking at some current bench players that might be possible starters next year.

I say pour it on early and then let’s see some Wolford, Webster, Hopkins types.

We’ve got a deep OL bench, why not take a look at a bench C, or two?

How about some Rivers snaps?

Also some snaps for our 4th-5th CB’s and Safeties while we’re at it.

Make it happen, Coach. Lol. The injury insurance alone makes this a smart move, don’t you think? The 2nd half could be kinda like an informative preseason game.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams’ path to playoff berth, NFC West title in next 2 weeks couldn’t be clearer (yahoo.com)
Rams’ path to playoff berth, NFC West title in next 2 weeks couldn’t be clearer
Cameron DaSilva/Wed, December 16, 2020,

dc547edf4351c808817479e1921e5613

Sitting at 9-4 and positioned nicely in the NFC, the Los Angeles Rams are extremely close to locking up a playoff berth for the third time in four seasons. Their path to the postseason is crystal clear as the regular season winds down, needing no help from anyone else to make the playoffs or even win the NFC West.

Los Angeles can clinch a postseason berth as early as this week when it hosts the New York Jets at SoFi Stadium for a Week 15 matchup. The Rams can’t lock up the division this week, but they will have a chance to in Week 16 when they visit the Seattle Seahawks.

Here is the Rams’ playoff-clinching scenario for Week 15.

Rams clinch a playoff berth with:
  • Rams win/tie vs. Jets OR
  • Vikings-Bears tie
That’s it. That’s the entire extent of the Rams’ clinching scenario this week. It doesn’t get any easier than just needing to tie the 0-13 Jets, and as 17-point favorites, the Rams plan to do much more than match New York’s score. They expect to win, and win big.

Assuming they take care of the Jets, the Rams would be able to clinch the division title with a win over the Seahawks in Week 16 – regardless of whether Seattle beats Washington this week. In fact, even if the Seahawks lose to Washington on Sunday, Seattle can still take over the NFC West lead if it beats the Rams in Week 16.

The Rams and Seahawks are currently tied at 9-4, but because L.A. won the first meeting between these two teams, it holds the tiebreaker in head-to-head matchups. However, if the Seahawks beat them in Week 16 and knock off San Francisco in Week 17, they will be crowned NFC West champions.

Here are the easiest paths to the division crown for each team.
Rams clinch NFC West with:
  • Win vs. Jets AND
  • Win vs. Seahawks
Seahawks clinch NFC West with:
  • Win/loss vs. Washington AND
  • Win vs. Rams AND
  • Win vs. 49ers
There is a scenario where the Rams can win the division even if they lose to the Seahawks in Week 16. That would require L.A. to win in Week 15 and 17, and Seattle to lose in those two weeks. In that case, they would both be tied at 11-5, but the Rams would hold the tiebreaker based on division record.

All that said, the Rams’ path to the playoffs and NFC West crown couldn’t be simpler: Just win the next two games.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is a golden opportunity to rest some starters in the 2nd half while looking at some current bench players that might be possible starters next year.

I say pour it on early and then let’s see some Wolford, Webster, Hopkins types.

We’ve got a deep OL bench, why not take a look at a bench C, or two?

How about some Rivers snaps?

Also some snaps for our 4th-5th CB’s and Safeties while we’re at it.

Make it happen, Coach. Lol. The injury insurance alone makes this a smart move, don’t you think? The 2nd half could be kinda like an informative preseason game.
If the game is going well & the Rams do build up a 3 score lead then yes by all means lets get some of the players some defensive & offensive snaps in a regular-season game. I sure do not want to see Akers on the field too much I would love to see a ton of RB's Xavier Jones, Malcome Brown & Raymond Calais

You are correct there are many Rams on the master roster who have never been on the field for any defensive or offensive snaps yet.

I like to see CB David Long performing the Nickle some. I believe he plays the Nickle far better than an outside corner post.

I like your last sentence suggestions. I truly like to see rookies Strong Safety JR Reed & Free Safety JuJu Hughes get a good amount of Snaps in place JJ III & Jordan Fuller. I would also like to see MLB'er Reeder gets some defensive signal calling done just in case something happens to JJIII.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I’m hoping this is a “light it up” game for JG. He needs a confidence boost that doesn’t come from the perfect way he has managed the last two games. I’m talking a 3td pass type game!