Finally got a new comp!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As many of you know with my migraines, I use my comp for my pain management, occupational therapy, socialization and just plain fun!

Well, my old comp was a Mac Pro 1,1 with an ATI 5870 1GB video card and 2TB Western Digital Black HD with a 30" Apple Cinema Display that I bought in 2006.

The only thing that I do that stresses it is playing World if Warcraft and Diablo 3 and recently, because my machine couldn't do the latest OS upgrades, I got hard locked out. To say I was depressed was an understatement. I have friends for 8 years or more in the WoW community that would be tough to KIT with without the game (just like it's tough to KIT with folks who've stopped following football...).

Anyway, after a TON of prayer and patience... Well, the prayers were answered and I was able to put together my new rig.

I coulda just posted the specs, but since when have I ever just posted a short post?

Mack's new Mac:
Mac Pro 5,1 6 core 3.33GHz
32GB 1333MHz ECC RAM
EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 6 GB -Blessed (Mac ROM)
Samsung SM951 AHCI 512GB SSD on
Lycom DT-120 PCIe card
ASUS MX27AQ 27" WQHD IPS monitor

It's a beast! I put the parts together myself on eBay (I did a TON of research so I knew what I was looking for), so it cost me between half and a third of what complete systems with these specs were going for.

Best part is that in my research I found out that I will be able to "hack" my old machine to upgrade it to the latest OS. So the wife will get my old rig which is a massive upgrade over her old iMac.

Great start to the season!!!!!!

Should also make streaming nicer!

*I got a note about how to help with that I'll put in a new post*

I might post a pic if I can finish tidying up (no sooner than I clean than people try to dump stuff on my desk!!! Arrrggghhhh!!!)

Anyone else get a new rig or new piece of gear that will add to the fun of the season?

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I don't understand any of that Mac, but I'm glad that you got something that works for you. Enjoy!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The machine that makes the picture box go is very strong.

Great Spirit grants many blessings.

I am once again happy in the nation.

Basically...

:p:ROFLMAO::LOL:;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Well done, Mac.

I am a closet techie and love that stuff.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I wonder if anyone else is on Discord?

It's free, better than Mumble or Teamspeek, and way better than Ventrilo and it has clients for PC, Mac, iOS and Android.

It also has a web client if the person doesn't want to install an app and has push-to-talk, though that requires the installed app (which is crucial for me because everyone in my house seems to lose their dang minds as soon as there's an open mic...:mad:)

Just a question. I think people can use it through their consoles, too, but I'm not sure about that. I just know I hate missing a play because I'm typing about the last play...LOL.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Pretty sweet build.
I build myself a new machine every year or so.
I've never understood the fascination with the Mac OS but to each their own.
My wife has herself a pretty nice, company funded, Macbook Pro but I just can't work on that operating system.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
pron

Always good to see you old timer.

Just cause I don't unnerstan you youngin's fancy machine talk--don't mean I'm OLD! Stupid? Maybe. Ignorant? Absolutely. But OLD???? Hah!

Remember, the mid-fifties is the new mid-thirties.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Pretty sweet build.
I build myself a new machine every year or so.
I've never understood the fascination with the Mac OS but to each their own.
My wife has herself a pretty nice, company funded, Macbook Pro but I just can't work on that operating system.

I like that underneath the GUI is a fully compliant UNIX variant so I have access to things if I chose that can be a pain in Windows. Not to say that some things aren't a pain in Mac OS X, they are, but the biggest issues for me now are on the hardware side cuz I just don't need or want a mobile computer. I mean, I have my phone and if I get an iPad for watching movies and binge watching series like GoT and Ray Donovan, then great. But I'll spare everyone my neck vein bulging rant on why laptops and iMacs with 4K and 5K Rez monitors is just so horrible.

I dunno if I'll stay with the Mac, tho.

I like how well Windows games, but cant stand Win 10 for a lot of other reasons. I may be able to go the Hackintosh route, but hopefully that's MANY, MANY years off and who knows if that's still going to be a thing then?

By then we'll be running Microsoft Windows 12 Cortana, Ubuntu 30 or MacOS Fuji...

As long as I can have a tower and a nice monitor to see her by...

TXRams86

The Infamous
I like that underneath the GUI is a fully compliant UNIX variant so I have access to things if I chose that can be a pain in Windows. Not to say that some things aren't a pain in Mac OS X, they are, but the biggest issues for me now are on the hardware side cuz I just don't need or want a mobile computer. I mean, I have my phone and if I get an iPad for watching movies and binge watching series like GoT and Ray Donovan, then great. But I'll spare everyone my neck vein bulging rant on why laptops and iMacs with 4K and 5K Rez monitors is just so horrible.

I dunno if I'll stay with the Mac, tho.

I like how well Windows games, but cant stand Win 10 for a lot of other reasons. I may be able to go the Hackintosh route, but hopefully that's MANY, MANY years off and who knows if that's still going to be a thing then?

By then we'll be running Microsoft Windows 12 Cortana, Ubuntu 30 or MacOS Fuji...

As long as I can have a tower and a nice monitor to see her by...
My brother in law is a huge Mac freak. A lot of it comes from the fact that he works for Apple (go figure). He built a hackintosh last year and he has booted into the Mac OSX a handful of times. He always comes to me for help with Windows and suggestions on hardware.

I don't think I'll be going 4K compatible hardware just yet. I have a 4K tv but I don't even use my desktops on a desk. I remote into them from my laptop. I don't do any gaming, mostly video encoding and rendering.

I also have a dedicated server I save all my movies/tv shows. Hence why my desktop is used for video encoding lol.