Finally, Austin gives Rams a game-changer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
Posted Nov. 16, 2013 @ 11:00 am

AR-131119379.jpg&MaxW=315&MaxH=315

ST. LOUIS (AP) — After waving teammates away from the ball, Tavon Austin stayed close. He was worried the Indianapolis Colts might down it near the goal line.

The next few seconds were a blur of fearless decision-making, instincts and raw speed. The rookie's long-awaited breakout day was off to the races.

A 98-yard punt return brought the St. Louis Rams' draft-day gadget pick to life in Week 10, the play lasting approximately the same amount of time as his reasoning for taking the risk that propelled his team into the bye week.

"I knew the ball was bouncing my way," Austin said Wednesday. "So, something told me to grab it, and I did. I had a couple blocks and I made a play.

"Coach Jeff Fisher, who typically skimps on the compliments, ranked Austin's show as "close to the top" in all his years in the NFL.

The kid caught the Colts flat-footed three times, treating them like a garden variety opponent from his touchdown-machine days at West Virginia in Sunday's surprising 38-8 road blowout of the AFC South leaders. Thus emboldened, Austin then attempted to outrun his previously pedestrian NFL output prior to the game.

"Confidence is the No. 1 thing," Austin said. "My confidence never went down. My coaches and my family kept telling me to be patient, and when my time comes it's going to come."

The Rams (4-6) traded up eight spots to grab one of the fastest players of the draft with the eighth overall pick. Then, they waited.

Most memorable in the early going, perhaps, were the big plays that didn't count. There were enough punt returns called back by penalties that Fisher applauded him for special teams contributions that did not stick, whether or not the illegal block in question was directly responsible.

Austin avoided post-game questions following a victory over the Jaguars at home and fled the locker room without removing eye black. He had four punt returns for 15 yards that game, another 72 yards wiped out.

Austin couldn't have been on the top of the Colts' defensive game plan, much less a candidate for the infinitely more difficult NFL version of a hockey hat trick: three consecutive touchdowns. Not with NFL-low averages of 6.7 yards per catch and 4.7 yards per punt return.

Even after Sunday's display helped the Rams end a three-game losing streak, there's plenty to tap. Austin has dropped seven passes, tied for the league high according to STATS.

Before rolling up 138 yards on two long scoring catches, Austin peaked at 47 yards in Week 2. His best day on punt returns was 33 yards on three attempts against Tennessee.

Austin kept telling himself, "I can do it."

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Finally, Rams give Austin plays that suit his amazing skills

Fixed it.
Heh heh.

Wonder if he sees any space the rest of the year though. It was pretty obvious that NO ONE was going to catch him on those plays once he got just a little bit of space.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Heh heh.

Wonder if he sees any space the rest of the year though. It was pretty obvious that NO ONE was going to catch him on those plays once he got just a little bit of space.

One can only hope. I would love to see 10 plays designed solely to get him the ball in space and see what happens. If they do that, I think it would be reasonable to expect at least a TD a game out of him.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Finally, Rams give Austin plays that suit his amazing skills

Fixed it.
yeah, I still say that this is mostly on the coaches. I just hope they've now figured it out and we're past the dayz of TA being invisible.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
yeah, I still say that this is mostly on the coaches. I just hope they've now figured it out and we're past the dayz of TA being invisible.
I think they have, Stranger, and these next 6 weeks are going to be fun to watch.

GO RAMS!!!!

bluecoconuts

Legend
That guy doesnt seem know what a hat trick is... I also don't think a hat trick is easier than 3 TD's... stick to football.

Austin will be fine as long as we use him correctly.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I agree that it's mostly on the coaches.

Hopefully they've realized that they should stop using their telekinetic powers to knock all those balls out of his hands, like they did in all the games prior to Indy.

It seemed counter-productive to me, but then I'm not an NFL coach, so what do I know?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hopefully they've realized that they should stop using their telekinetic powers to knock all those balls out of his hands, like they did in all the games prior to Indy.

It seemed counter-productive to me, but then I'm not an NFL coach, so what do I know?
mMKTHZb.jpg

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I don't think the kid has bad hands but dropped passes earlier this season trying to get going too fast on the plays. I think he has adjusted somewhat to the speed of the game now. I'd say 6 of his 7 drops were due to this run before you catch syndrome.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Of course, if they had been getting him the ball in the open field, no one would even remember the drops.

It's like the offsides penalties last game, who cares? They got after the QB like animals and the penalties were a minor trade. Yes?

jap

Legend
Well, the key to keeping Tavon and the rest of the offense going is similar to what happened in 1999. In the preceding offseason, the Horns had acquired Marshall Faulk and drafted Torry Holt. Yes, starting QB Trent Green went down, but unknown Kurt Warner was waiting in the wings after Mike Martz had worked furiously to get him up to speed with his aerial schemes.

When the Rams opened the 1999 season, Marshall was the known threat, and defenders loaded up the box to stop him and dared unknown Kurt to beat them. Torry had the benefit of having established veteran receivers like Isaac Bruce, Ricky Proehl, and the emerging Az Hakim to work with, allowing him to ease into his role without undue pressure. With defenses keyed to stopping the explosive Faulk by stacking the box, they left their hapless DB's in the unenviable position of dealing with 1-on-1 match ups with the Rams' high flying receivers. With Kurt's great accuracy, they burned those secondaries.

When defensive coordinators finally realized Kurt was for real, they dropped more guys into the defensive backfield to slow down the furious Air Martz attack. This just left more holes for the talented Marshall who now started racking up high yardage on the ground. The situation quickly mutated for the overwhelming part into a sorry pick-your-own-damn-poison! scenario for hapless defenses who had to choose between stopping the slower, time-consuming death of Marshall's running finesse or the fast & furious kill strokes of Special K and his fly boys.

The 2013 Rams began their season unable to establish a viable running attack. As good as Sam was, he was shackled by young receivers who had yet to mature as pros. Finally, the injury to starting RB DRich, the early ineffectiveness of Benny Cunningham, and the mysterious off-the-field issues with Isaiah Pead, allowed Zac Stacy to get his shot at the prime time role. Zac had previously struggled with nagging TC/preseason injuries and learning his first NFL playbook. Now he emerged as the answer to the Horns rushing woes. His quick feet, solid decision-making, and low center of gravity provides terrific leverage against stronger NFL linemen and LB's who find their strength negated by his submarine-level muscular thrusts through cracks in the defensive walls. After firmly establishing himself as a real threat in a string of games, the Indianapolis Colts sought to negate him by stacking the box, much like early 1999 defensive coordinators attempted to close down the Marshall Plan. Fortunately, backup QB, Kellen Clemens, is demonstrating growing confidence to match his experience, which allowed him to take advantage of less defenders in the Colts defensive secondary.

The challenge moving forward will be for the Horns to have other receivers step up as defenders seek to control both Zac the mini Mack (truck) and the multi-talented Tavon. Just as Isaac Bruce's presence allowed weaker coverage on Torry, the Wizard of Az, and Ricky early on, will the Rams' other wideouts and TE's take advantage of the attention Tazon and Zac will draw? As good as the Horns looked against the Colts with the experienced but limited Kellen, can we even imagine what the much more accurate Sam I Am can do with a mature receiver crew, a stable OL, and our resident mini Mack truck---all operating at high efficiency?

Last edited by a moderator:

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
This is the key, you don't teach this…
The next few seconds were a blur of fearless decision-making, instincts and raw speed.
"I knew the ball was bouncing my way," Austin said Wednesday. "So, something told me to grab it, and I did. I had a couple blocks and I made a play."