Final 53 (Defense)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Shocked at the number of you thinking we'll carry more DLine than corners. Especially when you consider a CB is more likely to contribute on ST than a dline.

It may be more about it coming down to the better overall player rather than position need. If a 7'th defensive lineman is a better overall football player than a 6'th CB, ... there you have it. Rather than lose a potential solid player to another team off the practice squad, it may be better to keep him on the 53 if you believe he may have a future with the team. At this point it's too early to make these predictions, I imagine following game 3 of pre-season we'll have a much better angle on how players place. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It may be more about it coming down to the better overall player rather than position need. If a 7'th defensive lineman is a better overall football player than a 6'th CB, ... there you have it. Rather than lose a potential solid player to another team off the practice squad, it may be better to keep him on the 53 if you believe he may have a future with the team. At this point it's too early to make these predictions, I imagine following game 3 of pre-season we'll have a much better angle on how players place. jmo.
I agree it's way to early to do these projections but I've done them too I did an offense one just haven't done defense yet. We'll start and play at most 3 DLine but we'll keep 4 backups so we'll carry 2 and 1/3 DLine. By that rate we'd keep 12 OLine if we wanted as many backups and 7 CB also just going off that ratio of reserves. I really don't know what we'll keep but it's puzzling that we'd keep so many backup DLine when we only ever use 3 yet we'll use 4 CB a lot but that leaves us with only 2 backup CB. Yes there is versatility with some of our safties but the same can be said with some of our OLB being able to play DE.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Has any 3-4 team carried 7 DLine? Three NT? One other thing most of the people here have posted their lists with 26 defenders also posted 25 offense leaving room for a punter and kicker but no long snapper, for the sake of argument your offense and defense should balance to 50.

I've seen it in the past. And going by ourlads depth charts, it looks like the Cardinals, Packers, and 49ers carried 7 DLinemen on their rosters last year. And I guess injury or suspension or something forced the Browns, Steelers, Texans, and Bears to carry 7 or more DLinemen at times during last season. My guess is a 3-4 team carrying 7 DLineman is not much different than when some 4-3 teams carry 9 DLineman.

But, I can't recall & couldn't find one that carried more than 5-6 CBs.

BTW, my guess is that like mine, where you see 3 NTs in this thread, it's expected that 1 or more of those players are expected to be able to play LE or DT, too.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks viable for them but they also have some reliable WR's to be able to run with just 3 active. Interesting they'd run 4 active TE with only 3 WR though. They also have some veteran OLine and they were relatively healthy last year to only carry 8. There are too many questions IMO with our OLine, WR and CB to go light there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen it in the past. And going by ourlads depth charts, it looks like the Cardinals, Packers, and 49ers carried 7 DLinemen on their rosters last year. And I guess injury or suspension or something forced the Browns, Steelers, Texans, and Bears to carry 7 or more DLinemen at times during last season. My guess is a 3-4 team carrying 7 DLineman is not much different than when some 4-3 teams carry 9 DLineman.

But, I can't recall & couldn't find one that carried more than 5-6 CBs.

BTW, my guess is that like mine, where you see 3 NTs in this thread, it's expected that 1 or more of those players are expected to be able to play LE or DT, too.
Like I said to FLV this is very early but how many of those teams you cite have don't have the questions we have at OLine, WR and CB. It's easy to carry an extra DLine but when you have some serious injury histories and quality questions at OLine are you really going to carry 4 backup DLine for 3 starters and 4 backup OLine for 5 starters? Anything is possible and it's very early to be making these. It's just interesting that half the people on this board are very concerned with the CB position hell the whole secondary. Yet they're not willing to keep an extra guy there but will keep an extra guy at a position of strength.

Ram65

Legend
Other may disagree, but I can't see Easley or Smart playing LE.
IMO, if anything, both have to play DT as a 3 Tech like Donald. Smart at least has a shot to play some NT.

In fact, they might want to consider trading Easley for a LE, IMO.

My confusion comes from the Rams signing Easley to a restricted offer after Phillips came on and changed to the 3-4 defense. Doesn't make sense to have Easley sitting on the bench because Donald doesn't get a lot of rest. Easley has a great get off so I thought he would be good at attacking up field at LDE. If he can't play LDE then a trade would make sense. I see that Smart would be better as Donald's backup. I see Brokers being able to alternate at LDE and NT. We have been given any idea of how Wade sees the position assignments and depth charts so far. Could have to wait till training camp to get a better idea. So far lots of different combinations here and on a google search.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Like I said to FLV this is very early but how many of those teams you cite have don't have the questions we have at OLine, WR and CB. It's easy to carry an extra DLine but when you have some serious injury histories and quality questions at OLine are you really going to carry 4 backup DLine for 3 starters and 4 backup OLine for 5 starters? Anything is possible and it's very early to be making these. It's just interesting that half the people on this board are very concerned with the CB position hell the whole secondary. Yet they're not willing to keep an extra guy there but will keep an extra guy at a position of strength.

I think it's easier to justify the number of backup DLinemen vs OLinemen because the majority of the backup DLinemen are guaranteed to play via rotations, while minus injury, OLinemen do not. While we've seen it happen, how often do 4 starting Olinemen go down in a season?

But, in the end, I think teams perhaps keep an extra guy at a position of strength when they believe that are keeping the best football player or one with the most upside they can on a roster. Keeping a lesser player at a position of weakness doesn't help the team.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
My confusion comes from the Rams signing Easley to a restricted offer after Phillips came on and changed to the 3-4 defense. Doesn't make sense to have Easley sitting on the bench because Donald doesn't get a lot of rest. Easley has a great get off so I thought he would be good at attacking up field at LDE. If he can't play LDE then a trade would make sense. I see that Smart would be better as Donald's backup. I see Brokers being able to alternate at LDE and NT. We have been given any idea of how Wade sees the position assignments and depth charts so far. Could have to wait till training camp to get a better idea. So far lots of different combinations here and on a google search.

Yep. Training camp will clear things up quite a bit.

But, IMO, the Rams would have been crazy not to sign Easley to a restricted offer. Not sure if they foresaw a potential Donald holdout, but he's a viable option if Donald got hurt given injuries do happen. But, more importantly, he's an asset that has some value. His tender is just base salary. If they decide to move in another direction, they could probably get something or someone in return for his services instead of letting him walk for nothing this offseason.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Winner winner - Chicken Dinner !!!

7 WR's & McVay will minus a QB .
Gives The Rams a chance to add to
another position.

I also think only 3 TE's

The stumpy DT/De will get cut.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
On D I see us going with:
6 DL
9 LBs
9 DBs

ST 3

O:
9 OL
2 QB
7 WR
3 RB
4 TE
1 FB

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff. I only disagree with LTP making it, Mike Jordan not making it, Aarion Penton making it and Ejuan not making it. Other than that I think we are in similar thoughts. I predicted Purcell to beat out Walker which looks to be all for certain now lol.

I felt good about Purcell and feee he is an under the radar pickup that will pay dividends, Price has an injury history and is the reason he was drafted in the 7th round so I'm hedging my bet he lands on IR not feeling the love for Michael Jordan, he is not a press corner that Phillips likes I could be wrong, but I'm betting on Penton making a few plays in preseason (Interceptions) that keeps him on the final 53.

LTP was my last addition guess Morgan Fox could beat him out or they could add a player like @Memphis Ram communicated so that is always a possibility too.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Ok had time to pull my player list together now...

LDE: Easley, Westbrooks
NT: Brockers, Purcell
RDE: Donald, Smart

I've gone for 6 DL men, as it seems to be what Phillips has gone for in the past few years I expect to see a lot of moving around between the back up boys and with regards to who starts opposite Donald (I can also see Brockers / Purcell / Donald as the front 3).

SLB: Barwin, Price
ILB: Ogletree, Hager
ILB: Barron, Littleton, Forrest
WLB: Quinn, Ebukam

The starters have really selected themselves here, I hope that Quinn has a healthy year, and I suspect with the new position he will.

LCB: Johnson, Jordan
RCB: Webster, Gaines
NCB: Robey-Coleman, Penton

Again the starters have self-selected - both Jordan and Penton intrigue me - Jordan because he's a big guy, but needs to show me more physicality and Penton seems to be a bit of a terrier, has beefed up to match the physicality of the NFL. These two guys are not lock-ins in my mind, I would just like to see more of them.

FS: Joyner, Johnson
SS: Alexander

I'm a bit light back here, but I think the guys can handle it, I also think that Jordan could provide back up here too.

P: Hekker
K: Zuerlein
LS: McQuaide

Nothing to see here...

EDIT: I just want to see Pre-season so that I can sort out the back-up guys - I can't see the starters changing much - apart from the DL - which I foresee being a 'fluid' organism of many.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Winner winner - Chicken Dinner !!!

7 WR's & McVay will minus a QB .
Gives The Rams a chance to add to
another position.

I also think only 3 TE's

The stumpy DT/De will get cut.
I have to agree with this ^, The Bronco Break-down seems the most viable. Minus one QB and add either a WR or a D-Lineman!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok had time to pull my player list together now...

LDE: Easley, Westbrooks
NT: Brockers, Purcell
RDE: Donald, Smart

Fair assessment, be shocked if both Longacre & Fox are cut, but it does provide an extra CB & LB with only 6 defensive linemen and IMO, I don't think there is a chance they only go with 3 safeties, but Jordan's ability to play both could factor in, nice.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could most of us be looking at this CB vs Safety & CB numbers just too traditionally? Could be the lines between all these DB positions will be much more blurry than in the recent past? We have seen the rise of the true hybrid safety/linebacker. Then last season we watched another hybrid safety/corner DB's work their way into prominence.Green Bay had theses type hybrids starting in all their secondary posts when the season concluded. Then there's the “Honey Badger”.

At this point in time we have several DB's who have outside corner coverage experience (college & one in the NFL) who are probably going to be considered safeties or just DB's period. Posted numerous times that the Rams are loaded with very good Nickel & Dime type DB's.

Lamarcus Joyner- College boundary corner, Strong & high safety. has been the Rams slot corner for the last 3 seasons.2nd rd. draft selection.

John Johnson -listed as a Safety. Experience @ boundary corner, high safety & as slot corner.3rd rd draft selection.
http://www.nfl.com/player/johnjohnson/2558183/combine

Blake Countess -listed as a CB. Experience at CB, S, and nickel at Auburn. Started 2 NFL games for Joyner his rookie season.40-yard 4.48 seconds. Said to be best suited for slot corner. 6th rd. draft selection in 2016.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/blake-countess?id=2556374

I also see where all of the above posts exception of mine, have NRC as the slot corner/Nickle? I must have missed something recent in Wades comments & plans ? My understanding was Joyner was going to be the starting high safety in the base D. Wade then said he will utilize Joyner as the main Slot Corner & then fill Joyner's post with another high safety.

NRC was not mentioned by Wade to be his Nickle. I do recall reading that NRC has started over 15 games as the boundary corner posts. Wade is very short on talent @ outside corner & fat with Slotted corners. Can someone get me on the right track here cause I must have fallen off the trail & uninformed to this recent change as to who was to be our Nickel.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Fair assessment, be shocked if both Longacre & Fox are cut, but it does provide an extra CB & LB with only 6 defensive linemen and IMO, I don't think there is a chance they only go with 3 safeties, but Jordan's ability to play both could factor in, nice.

I think we'll all have a better idea of who's who and the fit as soon as we get the pre-season snaps in - I'm excited this year

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Could most of us be looking at this CB vs Safety & CB numbers just too traditionally? Could be the lines between all these DB positions will be much more blurry than in the recent past? We have seen the rise of the true hybrid safety/linebacker. Then last season we watched another hybrid safety/corner DB's work their way into prominence.Green Bay had theses type hybrids starting in all their secondary posts when the season concluded. Then there's the “Honey Badger”.

At this point in time we have several DB's who have outside corner coverage experience (college & one in the NFL) who are probably going to be considered safeties or just DB's period. Posted numerous times that the Rams are loaded with very good Nickel & Dime type DB's.

Lamarcus Joyner- College boundary corner, Strong & high safety. has been the Rams slot corner for the last 3 seasons.2nd rd. draft selection.

John Johnson -listed as a Safety. Experience @ boundary corner, high safety & as slot corner.3rd rd draft selection.
http://www.nfl.com/player/johnjohnson/2558183/combine

Blake Countess -listed as a CB. Experience at CB, S, and nickel at Auburn. Started 2 NFL games for Joyner his rookie season.40-yard 4.48 seconds. Said to be best suited for slot corner. 6th rd. draft selection in 2016.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/blake-countess?id=2556374

I also see where all of the above posts exception of mine, have NRC as the slot corner/Nickle? I must have missed something recent in Wades comments & plans ? My understanding was Joyner was going to be the starting high safety in the base D. Wade then said he will utilize Joyner as the main Slot Corner & then fill Joyner's post with another high safety.

NRC was not mentioned by Wade to be his Nickle. I do recall reading that NRC has started over 15 games as the boundary corner posts. Wade is very short on talent @ outside corner & fat with Slotted corners. Can someone get me on the right track here cause I must have fallen off the trail & uninformed to this recent change as to who was to be our Nickel.

I really think the D is going to be blurred around the edges as you say - it's what I was thinking when I called it a 'fluid' organism of many players - I really like having players to mix and match - I think it also keeps opposing offences honest