Final 53 (Defense)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I don't see any way that Wade goes with only 3 Safeties. Considering injury insurance alone, not to mention that Safeties can be outstanding ST contributors.

Gotta have at least 9 LB's, considering Quinn's health history, don't you think?

On paper, Wade seems to be thin after the 2 starters at outside CB, IMO. Carrying 6 CB's and 4 S's wouldn't be a big shocker to me.

Gonna be some tough, tough decisions for the final 53, no doubt.

7 DL. Too much talent there to go with fewer and they'll want to rotate to keep everyone fresh as possible. Helps the entire D.
9 LB. Quinn's health uncertainty makes this necessary. Again, I think lots of talent plus ST contributors.
5 CB. Those last two better be good choices. Gulp.
4 S. Going with fewer would not be prudent.

Yeah, they will be forced to cut some real fine football players. Sigh... Just gotta trust Wade on all this. He's certainly earned it.

Total of 25 players. Not gonna name names. Starters are pretty obvious. And the last slot(s) at each position group are simply too much up in the air to make any meaningful predictions pre camp.

Might be the most interesting camp in years. Hope our camp reporters are rested up and have fresh batteries in their recorders. Lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Fair assessment, be shocked if both Longacre & Fox are cut, but it does provide an extra CB & LB with only 6 defensive linemen and IMO, I don't think there is a chance they only go with 3 safeties, but Jordan's ability to play both could factor in, nice.

I really think the D is going to be blurred around the edges as you say - it's what I was thinking when I called it a 'fluid' organism of many players - I really like having players to mix and match - I think it also keeps opposing offences honest

Joyner ?? Not MJ ??

I think Mo & Cody can play both safety positions .

-- Agree with the assessment of Fox & Longacre.
I'm a big Fox guy. Think he can be a very good DE in this 3/4 . Longacre I think just signed a 2 year deal in March ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Joyner ?? Not MJ ??

I think Mo & Cody can play both safety positions .

-- Agree with the assessment of Fox & Longacre.
I'm a big Fox guy. Think he can be a very good DE in this 3/4 . Longacre I think just signed a 2 year deal in March ?
I agree, seems to me Fox would be a better 34 DE than 43 DE or DT. I also think Matt Longacre has value at his eco cap cost he will be a RFA when this season ends.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/matt-longacre-17501/

IMO Alexander & Joyner can play both safety posts. Cody Davis & John Johnson appear to be leaning high safety types. Always remember that Mark Barron can line up & play SS in a snap.
Gotta have at least 9 LB's, considering Quinn's health history, don't you think?

9 LB. Quinn's health uncertainty makes this necessary. Again, I think lots of talent plus ST contributors.
This is a very good point to remember! Quinn has not been healthy since 2014 season.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Base defense we use one more. Two of our olb, Quinn and Barwin, can be emergency DE. And LB usually make better ST guys especially on coverage units.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Broncos did have a Quinn equivelant in Demarcus Ware. Also in those 4-2 nickel formations you put Quinn at 0 or 1 tech standing up or hand in the dirt. Also use Brockers and Donald as 2 DT and Barwin on the other side standing up with Tree and Barron at ILB. So in a 4-2 you have 4 LB and 2 DL giving you more LB on the field. Seems to be what I remember being talked about as Wades MO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True but honestly the guys we drafted fit the Quinn mold of being able to play a 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB so it all depends on how fast Wade and his coaches get the young guys up to snuff. Also Barron could slide to an OLB on occasion for the nickel after playing it the last 2 years.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True but honestly the guys we drafted fit the Quinn mold of being able to play a 4-3 end or 3-4 OLB so it all depends on how fast Wade and his coaches get the young guys up to snuff. Also Barron could slide to an OLB on occasion for the nickel after playing it the last 2 years.
Which of our 3-4 OLB'ers can defend the outside run ?
I keep Morgan Fox as our tweener DE/OLB for just that purpose.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which of our 3-4 OLB'ers can defend the outside run ?
I keep Morgan Fox as our tweener DE/OLB for just that purpose.

Carlos Thompson, who many around here have forgotten about on this page can. Ebukam has the speed and has shown in college the ability to be good vs the run. Prince had a good college career and if he can stay healthy can be coached up. Quinn wasn't the best vs the run coming out and grew with time. No reason our young OLB depth can't do the same.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Could most of us be looking at this CB vs Safety & CB numbers just too traditionally? Could be the lines between all these DB positions will be much more blurry than in the recent past? We have seen the rise of the true hybrid safety/linebacker. Then last season we watched another hybrid safety/corner DB's work their way into prominence.Green Bay had theses type hybrids starting in all their secondary posts when the season concluded. Then there's the “Honey Badger”.

At this point in time we have several DB's who have outside corner coverage experience (college & one in the NFL) who are probably going to be considered safeties or just DB's period. Posted numerous times that the Rams are loaded with very good Nickel & Dime type DB's.

Lamarcus Joyner- College boundary corner, Strong & high safety. has been the Rams slot corner for the last 3 seasons.2nd rd. draft selection.

John Johnson -listed as a Safety. Experience @ boundary corner, high safety & as slot corner.3rd rd draft selection.
http://www.nfl.com/player/johnjohnson/2558183/combine

Blake Countess -listed as a CB. Experience at CB, S, and nickel at Auburn. Started 2 NFL games for Joyner his rookie season.40-yard 4.48 seconds. Said to be best suited for slot corner. 6th rd. draft selection in 2016.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/blake-countess?id=2556374

I also see where all of the above posts exception of mine, have NRC as the slot corner/Nickle? I must have missed something recent in Wades comments & plans ? My understanding was Joyner was going to be the starting high safety in the base D. Wade then said he will utilize Joyner as the main Slot Corner & then fill Joyner's post with another high safety.

NRC was not mentioned by Wade to be his Nickle. I do recall reading that NRC has started over 15 games as the boundary corner posts. Wade is very short on talent @ outside corner & fat with Slotted corners. Can someone get me on the right track here cause I must have fallen off the trail & uninformed to this recent change as to who was to be our Nickel.

Found the article that puts more info on Joyner what position he was playing early.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la-sp-rams-lamarcus-joyner-20170524-story.html