Fendi gets another chance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Buffalo Bills needed to add a player to their active roster after placing kicker Rian Lindell on IR Thursday. They did just that Friday morning, signing second-year tight end Fendi Onobun off of the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad.

Onobun's story is an interesting one. He was a four-year member of the Arizona Wildcats basketball team that, in his senior season of 2009, surprised in making the Sweet 16 as a No. 12 seed before bowing out to top overall seed Louisville. After his career as a reserve wrapped up with that loss, Onobun spent the fall of 2009 playing college football at Houston, catching two passes for 33 yards in one season.

Still, Onobun was a sixth-round draft pick of the St. Louis Rams last season (picked in the same neighborhood as Danny Batten and Arthur Moats), and has since spent time with the Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins and Jacksonville Jaguars. Why does he keep getting looks, you ask? Because he's a 6'6", 263-pound man with big hands that ran under 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his pro day.

Onobun is the fourth tight end on Buffalo's active roster, sitting behind the dinged-up Scott Chandler as well as Lee Smith and Mike Caussin.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/9/2623708/buffalo-bills-sign-te-fendi-onobun-to-active-roster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12 ... ive-roster</a>

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think he keeps getting looks because he's physically built to be amazing, but he keeps getting cut because he lacks the talent to make it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I think he keeps getting looks because he's physically built to be amazing, but he keeps getting cut because he lacks the talent to make it.
True. Really gifted athlete. Hard to not take a flyer on someone with that kind of a pro day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KcC8FEGSms[/youtube]

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:

I really thought he could have made contributions for us. I remember last year when people were saying that he was progressing pretty fast, then it sucked for him to end up on IR. I still think he is someone that can turn into a solid receiving threat.

HornIt

UDFA
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
True. Really gifted athlete. Hard to not take a flyer on someone with that kind of a pro day.

Taking the flyer is fine. Using a draft pick on that level of flyer was not fine.

He was a classic UDFA type that you see if you can develop on the practice squad, but Devaney got too cute with it and drafted him when there were actual good football players left on the board that had much better odds of success.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HornIt said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Taking the flyer is fine. Using a draft pick on that level of flyer was not fine.

He was a classic UDFA type that you see if you can develop on the practice squad, but Devaney got too cute with it and drafted him when there were actual good football players left on the board that had much better odds of success.
Maybe. Maybe not. He was a projected 6th-7th rounder and that's where he was picked up. Is what it is.

HornIt

UDFA
X said:
HornIt said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Maybe. Maybe not. He was a projected 6th-7th rounder and that's where he was picked up. Is what it is.

Projected by whom? Most had him as a UDFA, which is where he belonged. There are always going to be "some" who project a college basketball player as draft worthy in the NFL based only nothing but workouts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HornIt said:
X said:
HornIt said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Projected by whom? Most had him as a UDFA, which is where he belonged. There are always going to be "some" who project a college basketball player as draft worthy in the NFL based only nothing but workouts.
Projected by your obvious draft mags. People with opinions like yours and mine. Nobody had the final say on where he was drafted, it's just what I read. He had a great pro day and then held individual (private) workouts with the Giants, Jets, Panthers, Texans, Seahawks and Rams. His stock rose after that. Like I said. Is what it is. I really don't care to argue about it. If you say drafting him was a mistake, then so be it. I don't care that much about it.