Feldman: What Saffold Is Worth To The Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
by Brian Feldman / FootballStL | @BFeldman
KMOV.com
http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-What-Saffold-is-worth-to-the-Rams-240190011.html

130918_Rodger+Saffold.jpg

The NFL Draft is months away and we won’t know a darn thing as to what the Rams are thinking until the moment they walk up to the podium at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. Something much closer to the present than May is free agency.

Decisions are being made as we speak (er, type) regarding what a player’s value is to their respective team. And on the Rams there is one name above all who will command most of the discussion this offseason.

No, it’s not Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Rodger Saffold has been a very nice, sometimes dominant, player along the Rams offensive line after getting drafted in the second round back in 2010. Injuries kept him off the field much more than the organization would have liked but there’s no denying his obvious talents.

It’s also possible this past season gave the biggest clue as to just how valuable Saffold is. The 25-year old was forced to play guard due to injury issues with Harvey Dahl and it was there that the Indiana alum blossomed. Saffold played so well at guard that head coach Jeff Fisher said he thinks his future is at that position.

Saffold, clearly, would prefer tackle due to the financial value tackles have compared to guards. But that doesn’t change the fact he showed an amount of versatility previously unknown to the Rams.

So how does this factor into what they offer him this offseason? Let’s not forget, the other 31 teams in the NFL are going to have a crack at him too and depending on his value to them his price could skyrocket.

His market will hinge on a few factors. First, health. How many teams out there will be willing to pay premium dollar for a guy that just hasn’t stayed healthy consistently? That’s hard to gauge right now because each team (and each team’s respective medical report) will vary.

Second, what will the market look like for offensive linemen? Guys like Eugene Monroe (Baltimore), Branden Albert (Kansas City) and Alex Mack (Cleveland) all have expiring contracts. But we don’t yet know if any of them will either be resigned by their respective teams or if they’ll be slapped with the franchise tag which forces them to play on a one year deal - for a salary equivalent to the average of the top five players at their position.

What does this all mean? Well, Saffold would prove to be a huge boost for the Rams should he return to St. Louis. Jeff Fisher could plug him in at either guard or tackle and let the rest of the offseason determine which one he actually plays. They wouldn’t necessarily be forced to take a tackle, per se, at the top of the draft in May.

No one knows exactly what Saffold is thinking. He could be dead set on returning to left tackle and will go anywhere that offers him that chance. He could be in love with the Rams and want to return no matter what.

It’s hard to say what will happen. But his value to the team is fairly significant due to the unknown among the rest of the line and his newly discovered versatility.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I get the feeling that good ol' Rodger is a goner. I think his ego was dinged last year and he can't wait to prove himself as a starting LT somewhere else.....even if he IS better suited as a guard. Ah well. As the OL turns.........it's like a cruel soap opera.

Alan

Legend
Faceplant with his view of ego:
I get the feeling that good ol' Rodger is a goner. I think his ego was dinged last year and he can't wait to prove himself as a starting LT somewhere else.....even if he IS better suited as a guard. Ah well.
Were it me and ego was my guiding principle, I'd rather be a PB guard than a slightly richer tackle. Of course if money is my guiding principle then LT looks bery bery good to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What Saffold Is Worth To The Rams
Cost of OG Rodger Saffold in 2014 ? = Cortland Finnegan 10 million, Harvey Dahl 4 mil. & Scott Wells 6.5 million is 20.5 million.

Looks to me we could cut three above sign Saffold and come out about 10 million ahead

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Saffold Is Worth To The Rams
Cost of OG Rodger Saffold in 2014 ? = Cortland Finnegan 10 million, Harvey Dahl 4 mil. & Scott Wells 6.5 million is 20.5 million.

Looks to me we could cut three above sign Saffold and come out about 10 million ahead

If they give him a $10m signing bonus they will be $17m ahead for the 2014 cap.

Alan

Legend
Let's not forget that many of our players CAP hit is going up this year. Chris Long's CAP hit goes up $6 million and he's just one. Reread the old thread on this subject.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's not forget that many of our players CAP hit is going up this year. Chris Long's CAP hit goes up $6 million and he's just one. Reread the old thread on this subject.
True story.

But. Both Long and Laurinatis' contracts were structured so that after this year, those contracts tip in the Rams' favor again.
Such a refreshing change from the way Zygmunt used to back load contracts to the point where the team had zero options.

Alan

Legend
Undoubtedly a good move by Demoff but it doesn't help us to sign Saffold, Byrd et al. :sad:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Undoubtedly a good move by Demoff but it doesn't help us to sign Saffold, Byrd et al. :sad:
You never know. Who would have thought we had the coin to sign Cook and Long to those contracts last year?
I haven't heard anything about the Rams being interested in Byrd though. Have you? I mean, it's logical. I just haven't heard anything.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Saffold doesn't do a lot of talking, his agent is the one with the big mouth and ego IMO. I hope we are able to get a deal done with him but I wouldn't break the bank for him. If we're gonna do a big deal just franchise him and move on if he doesn't stay healthy during the year.

Alan

Legend
-X- failing his job interview for the KGB:
You never know. Who would have thought we had the coin to sign Cook and Long to those contracts last year?
I haven't heard anything about the Rams being interested in Byrd though. Have you? I mean, it's logical. I just haven't heard anything.
Only if they weren't interested would we hear that they were.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Only if they weren't interested would we hear that they were.
That reminds me of a good joke I saw on 'The Office.'

"Knock knock."
"Who's there?"
"KGB"
"KG.. (before he finishes answering, slap him in the face and say, "VE WILL ASK ZE QUESTIONS HERE!")

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

This is why I have strong presentiment that our chances of signing Saffold are higher than many think around here. Players like coach Fisher, and Fisher/Snead have done a great job at recruiting FA's, at least better than recent regimes. Honestly, did any think we would sign the one of the most -- if not the most -- coveted FA LT's last year?

Alan

Legend
Is the office any good? I've almost watched it a couple of times but changed my mind at the last minute for some reason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is the office any good? I've almost watched it a couple of times but changed my mind at the last minute for some reason.
Way to deprive yourself of comedic gold for years now. :disappoint:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As a fan I just don't get caught up in the money part of it, there are just too many factors that we don't have enough information to be worrying about it. If they want him they will get it done. There is a lot of money they should be clearing Finnegan has got to go or be restructured he is not worth that contract if he won't redo it then cut him and go with a young guy. Dahl same thing he is no longer a starter, Wells same thing.

The O line has got to be one of the top priorities this off season, it has been beat to death on this board and you know the Rams FO knows it too.

Byrd I'm not all that excited about I'd rather pick a guy in the second or third round there and who can grow with the rest of these youngsters