Feldman: Rams' worst fears might be coming true

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
by Brian Feldman / KMOV.com
http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Rams ... 74265.html

120826_Rams.jpg

ST. LOUIS (FootballStL) -- It's impossible to fix everything in one offseason. Every rational football person realizes that. You can't bring in new, young stars at 15 different positions overnight.

So, by that token, you have to excuse new head coach Jeff Fisher and new GM Les Snead for having some roster deficiencies.

But in last night's 20-19 loss in Dallas...the one area the Rams hardly addressed in the offseason, the one area everyone with an opinion has worried about, the one area that could be argued is as important to this team as any -- the offensive line -- looked every bit as bad as fans in this city had feared.

QB Sam Bradford was sacked twice, while his backup Kellen Clemens was dropped twice more. And maybe the worst part about it all? Bradford looked as jumpy in the pocket as he did last season when his offensive line wasn't protecting him and it seemed he was expecting to get hit.

6-17 for 64 yards and a 47.2 QB rating doesn't inspire much confidence going forward. Preseason, regular season or otherwise.

Here's the bottom line. When Jeff Fisher was trying to figure out which job he was going to take this offseason (Rams or Dolphins) there were a lot of factors at play. Sure, Stan Kroenke was a big part of the decision. So were a lot of other things.

But I have no doubt in my mind the fact the Rams had a former #1 overall pick at quarterback was huge for him. The Dolphins didn't have anything. In fact, they had to go out and draft Ryan Tannehill from Texas A&M to fill their QB opening.

And now, here we are about 8 months later and Bradford -- one of the prime reasons Fisher accepted the job here -- is not being adequately protected. That's not a good sign. Especially when just about everyone saw this coming.

The NFL is a quarterback driven league. Check out the last several Super Bowl champions. All of them have elite (or close to it) quarterbacks. New York Giants? Eli Manning. Green Bay Packers? Aaron Rodgers. New Orleans Saints? Drew Brees. Pittsburgh Steelers? Ben Roethlisberger. Indianapolis Colts? Peyton Manning. New England Patriots? Tom Brady.

Sam Bradford has the raw talent to be as good as any of those guys. But only if he gets the protection he needs. Yes, the Rams went out and signed free agent center Scott Wells. But they elected to stick with Jason Smith at right tackle (who's already lost his starting job to Barry Richardson) and they didn't do anything at left guard either.

Meanwhile, they used a first round pick on a defensive tackle, 3 second round picks on a wide receiver, cornerback and running back and didn't address the offensive line until the 5th round (Rokevious Watkins). This isn't to criticize the selections they made. On the contrary, the players they took early on look like they have bright futures.

But one look at that Rams/Cowboys game from last night tells you this offensive line is absolutely something to be concerned about as we move closer and closer into the regular season.

Sam Bradford has got to stay on his feet. Otherwise it could be another very long season in St. Louis this fall. And it could get Bradford hurt again, too, in the process.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
:nono: Depressing thoughts :nono:

IT'S NOT GOING TO BE THIS WAY! :pissed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, to be fair, Feldman is a bit of a doom & gloomer. He sounds an awful lot like a message board poster.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
Well, to be fair, Feldman is a bit of a doom & gloomer. He sounds an awful lot like a message board poster.

In other words, like a team's fan on a message board posting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
X said:

In other words, like a team's fan on a message board posting.
Or a board's message on a fan's posting team. :p

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/bealright.mp3[/rp3]

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
X said:

:rofl:
When I read the thread title I thought it was a Bad Brad article,I think the line is my second worst fear. Third would be Fisher deciding he was tired of coaching next Spring and we rehire Spags :shock:

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
X said:
[rp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/bealright.mp3[/rp3]
That's what I've been tryin' to say.
Fisher has a plan and I believe in him.

GO RAMS!!!!

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Does the OL problems even suprise anyone? We KNEW this would be a work in progress....again. We got new OL coach with a good track record. Dahl and Saffold are the only returning starters from last year. You can add Smith to that if he gets the RT job back. Im not concerned about the new LG starter, Wells should be fine, and RT is still the major concern. Wouldnt be suprised if we add an OT when other teams go through roster cuts.

Anonymous

JdashSTL said:
Does the OL problems even suprise anyone? We KNEW this would be a work in progress....again. We got new OL coach with a good track record. Dahl and Saffold are the only returning starters from last year. You can add Smith to that if he gets the RT job back. Im not concerned about the new LG starter, Wells should be fine, and RT is still the major concern. Wouldnt be suprised if we add an OT when other teams go through roster cuts.

Except that wasn't the line that played yesterday so no it does not surprise me. Saffold was fine but Dahl was out and Wells was playing his first game. Dallas threw some exotic blitzes at em and they weren't ready for that, didn't even gameplan for it.

So yesterday is no comment on the OL at all. That wasn't the OL. Not yet.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
zn said:
JdashSTL said:

Except that wasn't the line that played yesterday so no it does not surprise me. Saffold was fine but Dahl was out and Wells was playing his first game. Dallas threw some exotic blitzes at em and they weren't ready for that, didn't even gameplan for it.

So yesterday is no comment on the OL at all. That wasn't the OL. Not yet.

Exactly. These guys have barely even played together. Reps for the starting OL is huge for them.