Feldman: Offensive line priority number one this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Brian Feldman / Football StL
http://www.kmov.com/sports/Feldman-Offe ... 78831.html

121216_bradford.jpg

ST. LOUIS (Football StL) -- I don’t care how good you are as a quarterback. I don’t care how strong your arm is, how accurate your throws are, how fast you move in the pocket or how quickly you make decisions.
If you get hit again and again and again and again and again those hits are going to take their toll.

I’m not excusing Sam Bradford for several misfires against the Vikings and I’m certainly not excusing his dropped snap and pick six. But it’s awfully hard to be tough and step up in the pocket when you know pretty much on a regular basis that your clock is going to get cleaned by a 6’4”, 315 pound lineman running with full force.

It would make the toughest of tough guys a little gun shy.

During the 36-22 loss to the Vikings I overheard one of the coaches talking to the offensive linemen on the bench. He was cursing them out at the top of his lungs saying that every time Bradford was dropping back to pass he was getting his you-know-what hit. Every time.

And, you know what? He’s right. Talking to Bradford after the game in the locker room was like talking to a boxer after going 12 hard rounds in a heavyweight fight. His face had cuts and bruises all over it. And I highly doubt they were from those grueling handoffs to Steven Jackson.

The former number one overall pick got hit eight times and was sacked on four other occasions versus Minnesota. To be honest, it felt like more than that standing on the sidelines watching. Bradford couldn’t take two steps after the ball was snapped before he had a body in his face.

Again, this isn’t excusing the performance of Bradford or his evolution as a should-be-elite quarterback. That’s a discussion for another day.

On this day though? The offensive line must be better. It’s got to be among the chief priorities for the offseason.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Re: Feldman: Offensive line priority number one this offseas

No question about it... more talent is needed on the OL .

But I contend that the top priority needs to be adding FA WR help to the offense (that COULD include TE also).

The OL needs are secondary to that if you're asking me.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Re: Feldman: Offensive line priority number one this offseas

I'm glad to see all the attention being focused on the o-line right now because i've been feeling this way for years. Other than a FS and a Sam lb this offseason should be all about Bradford. I am hoping for Jake Matthews and Barrett Jones in the first. Maybe Robert Woods in 2nd. Although it's way to early for that they should hit the o-line and wr position eary and often in fa and the draft like they did with the cb and d-line positions last year.