February's True Holiday: A Pre-combine Mock Draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
You want a mock draft? I'll give you a mock draft - a mock draft that won't feature any of the players that I had in the last one. Interested? Then let us delve into the insanity which is a Memento mock draft:

#2 overall pick: TRADED to the Cleveland Browns for picks #4, #26, and #71. This shouldn't be a surprise at this point. It's almost a guarantee that we'll deal this pick away. The only questions are to whom and for what. In this case, Cleveland moves up to get the quarterback they want and need and we get to select...

#4 overall pick: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson.

A talented wide receiver who has just about everything you could hope for (with the exception of immense height, but hey, Isaac and Torry weren't huge either), Watkins is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands, and he proved that when he stayed out of trouble, he was better than his former teammate, DeAndre Hopkins. Watkins gives us a true number one outside receiver.

#13 overall pick: Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State.

An amazingly-disruptive presence in the middle who can put tons of pressure on the quarterback. Jernigan was a force to be reckoned with during the Bowl game. He was arguably one of the main reasons why FSU's defense was so stout. Not the athletic freak that Hageman is, nor was he insanely productive like Donald, but he's still a great pick, and he won't last to the twenties.

#26 overall pick: Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama.

Left tackle of the future, although he'll start out at right tackle/guard depending on how well he performs against Joe Barksdale. Kouandjio had some bad tape last year, which brings his stock down...but people seem to forget that he's just twenty years old and was arguably one of the better left tackles that's come through Alabama. He has flaws, but this is a prospect who I believe has become underrated due to all of the scouts critiquing him.

#44 overall pick: LaMarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State.

Here we have our slot cornerback rolled up into a mean 5'8" package of jarring hits, great coverage, and enough athleticism to play multiple positions. Joyner automatically becomes our third cornerback. If he were a few inches bigger and ten pounds heavier, he would easily be a first round pick. But I think he'll be successful despite his size limitations. He's just that good.

#71 overall pick: Billy Turner, OG, North Dakota State.

Our left guard of the future. You can't really say that Turner came out of nowhere; he was the starting left tackle for one of the best D-II college teams in the nation. But he came to the Senior Bowl and really stood out against other highly-touted prospects. The only reason he becomes a guard is because his arm length is too short to really be an effective tackle, but I like just about everything else about him, and I'm surprised that more people aren't mentioning his name.

#75 overall pick: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor.

Here we get the lightning to Zac Stacy's thunder. You may think that this is a luxury pick, but Stacy has had injury concerns, and his stamina isn't the best either. Cunningham also has injury concerns, Richardson was hurt last year, and Pead has barely done anything worth noting in his professional career. Seastrunk gives us something that we currently don't have (and that we expected from Pead): an explosive threat out of the backfield.

#106 overall pick: James Hurst, OT/OG, North Carolina.

Here we get an offensive lineman to redshirt for a year as quality depth. Hurst was having himself a fine season before he broke his leg. He's not the most athletic, nor is he the biggest out there, but he does well with what he has to offer. Hurst is technically-sound, has proved his worth against top competition (i.e., Jadeveon Clowney), and he's been very reliable for the most part. Could qualify as a steal this late.

#141 overall pick: Kenny Ladler, FS, Vanderbilt.

This is where we get our starting free safety. Yes, you heard me right; Ladler has all the qualities needed to start in the NFL. He may not have the athletic ability of some of his counterparts, but he just does everything right. He's instinctive, flies to the ball, doesn't hesitate to make the hit, and is a turnover machine. Remember this: Kam Chancellor was once a fifth round pick, too.

#172 overall pick: Walt Aikens, CB, Liberty.

More cornerback depth, which is always needed in today's NFL. Aikens has some off the field baggage where he was kicked off of Illinois' team as a sophomore after being arrested for theft, but he transferred to Liberty, and to my knowledge (and you can correct me if I'm wrong), hasn't had any problems since then. He has experience at both safety positions, but he proved at the Senior Bowl that he can stick at the cornerback position - and at 6'1", 205 lbs., he's a pretty tall cornerback.

#203 overall pick: Khairi Fortt, OLB, California.

Here is a shot in the dark and more depth for the outside linebacker position. Fortt has amazing athletic prowess, but he hasn't really proven much on a football field. He transferred from Penn State after the scandal, and found himself mired in a poor season. He did not post great stats at either school...but his pure athleticism and special teams ability makes him a good selection in the seventh round.

#218 overall pick: Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell.

Our backup quarterback who has potential down the road. Mathews possesses a cannon for an arm and was the best quarterback to come through the Cornell program. His lack of mobility and hesitation to throw the football at times are what drops him to the seventh round. He has the tools, he has the right mindset...he just needs to sit a while and learn the NFL game.

Thoughts, questions, comments, and the like are all welcome and appreciated.

PhxRam

If houston doesnt take a qb, I cant see Cleveland giving us squat.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If houston doesnt take a qb, I cant see Cleveland giving us squat.

That's very much true...but I don't see any other option making sense for Houston. They already have a solid offensive line, so there's really no need for Matthews. I don't think that they'll pick Watkins when they have Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins at receiver. Clowney doesn't make sense for them either; I just can't see him fitting in a 3-4, no matter how freakishly-athletic he is. And they already have a solid defensive front. And they were a playoff contender only a year ago. Honestly, the only piece that's missing is a quarterback. I don't know if it'll be Bridgewater, Bortles, or Manziel, but I'd be willing to bet money on one of those three going number one overall.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
To me it seems like Jernigan is a bit of a reach at #13. He's projected to go later in the 1st round. Watkins, Kouandjio, and Joyner would be a good haul though.

laramsoriginal

Starter
No way Browns deal all thay just to move up 2 slots. Best case scenario is they toss in both first round picks. Most likely scenario they gice us 4th overall pick and their 2nd rounder

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not at all a fan of the guys we took at #13 and #26. Donald is a much better prospect in my eyes than Jernigan so I don't understand why we'd take Jernigan there...especially when he's the same type of player and isn't much larger than Donald. I don't like Kouandjio. Looks great...until he steps on the field. Poor balance, lacks coordination and really poor technique. Also doesn't have nimble feet. Just looked like a hot mess when I saw him.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
QB way too late Kevin Demoff has stated the Rams will go QB early, possibly 2nd or 3rd round and I don't think that's smoke. I know one thing they won't wait until their last pick on a signal caller unless they sign someone in free agency.

What I do like Memento is that you drafted Watkins and still addressed the offensive line which IMO will be crucial and I also applaud the pick of RB Lache Seastrunk because IMO the Rams need to add another just because I am not sure Stacy can do it all year long.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Memento, here's something on your guy Jernigan

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/c...le-timmy-jernigan-highlights-his-versatility/

Combine Q&A: Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan highlights his versatility
By Adam L. Jahns | Get In Touch: @adamjahns | ajahns@suntimes.comInside College Football, Inside the Bears, Sports - February 22, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS — With a defense going through a major makeover after an awful 2013 season, the Sun-Times is looking at draft prospects the Bears may target in the 2014 draft. This Q&A with Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan is part of that series.

On being linked to Bears in numerous mock drafts and what he thinks of schemes:

“To be honest with you, I really don’t follow too many mock drafts. I’m just staying to true to the process, man, just keeping my head down and grinding it out. But as far just schemes, I feel like I can play in any scheme whether it’s a three-man front, which we did play at Florida State, [or] I can play in a four-man front as well. I can attack. I can two-gap. It really doesn’t matter. I feel like I can play anywhere I’m on the front. Just put me on the field.”

On NFL defensive linemen he looks up to:

“I love Ndamukong Suh. I love the way he plays the game, his mindset, the mentality, the nastiness he plays with. The guy’s lethal. You can tell that with the way he plays. That’s the way you have to play this position especially on that level. If you don’t play the game with an attitude, you really won’t make it too long playing inside.”

On evolving into an every-down defensive tackle:

“I feel like that’s where I benefit at. I feel like now in the NFL a lot of nose tackles, especially with three-man fronts, the big 340-, 350-pound guys, a lot of times in the pass situations, those guys have to come off the field. I feel like that’s where I can benefit a team at. I’ve played in a shade [technique], I’ve played over the center, I’ve played in the three-technique. So I can play a three-technique and when it’s a pass situation and you want to go to a three-man front, you can put me on the nose guard, right on the zero [gap]. I can get pressure from the middle of the offense. I feel like that’s where my game changes from anyone else.”

On questions regarding sitting plays out at Florida State:

“I definitely don’t feel like it’s an issue. I played on a team where I only played four full games the entire season, and I just did what I could with the opportunity, man. There wasn’t times where I had to play the whole game, only four games the entire season. Every game I was out by the third quarter, but when my number was called and they needed Jernigan to be in the game, when I knew that I had to be in the game in order for us to win, I was there.”

On playing for a cold-weather team:

“I love the cold weather. That’s the weird part about it. I’m a Florida boy, but I love the cold weather. I think I play better in the cold. I’m ready for it, whatever pitch is thrown at me I’m ready to stand at the plate.”

Memento

Name
Jemma
Not at all a fan of the guys we took at #13 and #26. Donald is a much better prospect in my eyes than Jernigan so I don't understand why we'd take Jernigan there...especially when he's the same type of player and isn't much larger than Donald. I don't like Kouandjio. Looks great...until he steps on the field. Poor balance, lacks coordination and really poor technique. Also doesn't have nimble feet. Just looked like a hot mess when I saw him.

Firstly, thank you for your comments. I do appreciate your opinions, even if it doesn't seem like it at times.

After further review, it definitely looks like I made a mistake with Kouandjio. I honestly had no idea that he had an arthritic knee. Twenty-year-old or not, that's going to seriously affect his stock. Might be better off replacing him with Antonio Richardson of Tennessee.

In the case of Jernigan, I view him as an elite gap-penetrator, similar to Donald. I just felt like choosing someone other than Hageman or Donald to mix things up. I'll probably choose Donald in the next mock draft I'll do after the Combine, but at this time, I wanted to feature a prospect that should at least be looked at as an option.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Firstly, thank you for your comments. I do appreciate your opinions, even if it doesn't seem like it at times.

After further review, it definitely looks like I made a mistake with Kouandjio. I honestly had no idea that he had an arthritic knee. Twenty-year-old or not, that's going to seriously affect his stock. Might be better off replacing him with Antonio Richardson of Tennessee.

In the case of Jernigan, I view him as an elite gap-penetrator, similar to Donald. I just felt like choosing someone other than Hageman or Donald to mix things up. I'll probably choose Donald in the next mock draft I'll do after the Combine, but at this time, I wanted to feature a prospect that should at least be looked at as an option.

Fair enough. Yea, Tiny would be a good replacement pick for Kouandjio.

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Sorry but this particular trade scenario will never happen. Cleveland will not give away more than they need to. Rams would be good to be 1.4 & 2.3 for the 1.2. Secondly - I do not like any of the picks except Watkins at 1.4.

jjab360

Legend
I would hate if we got all those picks just to use them on the guys you selected. From the early picks, the only player I'm a fan of at the spot you selected them is probably Joyner.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I would hate if we got all those picks just to use them on the guys you selected. From the early picks, the only player I'm a fan of at the spot you selected them is probably Joyner.

Sorry but this particular trade scenario will never happen. Cleveland will not give away more than they need to. Rams would be good to be 1.4 & 2.3 for the 1.2. Secondly - I do not like any of the picks except Watkins at 1.4.

jjab, I'm curious as to why you dislike Watkins and Jernigan at their respective spots. It would be a miracle if Watkins got past the Raiders, and Jernigan is definitely in play for Chicago, who picks #14 overall.

As for Kouandjio, I already admitted that I made a mistake with him and have replaced him with Antonio Richardson of Tennessee. To be fair to me, though, this mock was done before the Combine, before any knowledge of Kouandjio's physical came out.

VARAMS, I know that a lot of these picks - Watkins aside - are off the radar and not the sexy pick to make. That doesn't mean that they aren't good players. I'm especially curious as to why you don't like Joyner. If Joyner's 6'0", we're talking about a top ten pick here. Ladler, Turner, and Hurst are criminally underrated. Seastrunk is a very good back. Aikens turned heads at the Senior Bowl, and the only reason he's not going higher is because of his criminal record.

I'm not asking either of you to change your minds, of course; I respect both of your opinions, and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to express your feelings about my mock. I'm just trying to show my motivation for choosing these players.

jjab360

Legend
jjab, I'm curious as to why you dislike Watkins and Jernigan at their respective spots. It would be a miracle if Watkins got past the Raiders, and Jernigan is definitely in play for Chicago, who picks #14 overall.

As for Kouandjio, I already admitted that I made a mistake with him and have replaced him with Antonio Richardson of Tennessee. To be fair to me, though, this mock was done before the Combine, before any knowledge of Kouandjio's physical came out.

VARAMS, I know that a lot of these picks - Watkins aside - are off the radar and not the sexy pick to make. That doesn't mean that they aren't good players. I'm especially curious as to why you don't like Joyner. If Joyner's 6'0", we're talking about a top ten pick here. Ladler, Turner, and Hurst are criminally underrated. Seastrunk is a very good back. Aikens turned heads at the Senior Bowl, and the only reason he's not going higher is because of his criminal record.

I'm not asking either of you to change your minds, of course; I respect both of your opinions, and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to express your feelings about my mock. I'm just trying to show my motivation for choosing these players.
Well, not a fan of Watkins over the OTs in this class, I view them as elite players, and Watkins is just a very good player. OL is also a bigger need than WR, but the deciding factor in this decision for me is just taking the most talented player and that's not Watkins, imo. As for Jernigan, I think he's talented, but pretty inconsistent. I'd have him as a mid to late second rounder, personally, don't see how he jumped as high as he did without the production or potential. Also, DL coach Waufle seems to prefer a mold of 6-5/6-6 DTs that have the length to get their hands up and disrupt the QB's vision as well as the wingspan to cover a lot of space in the run game. If you're to break that mold you better be a heck of a player that's good enough to fit your system around like Aaron Donald. I wouldn't even bet on Jernigan being better than Langford, now or in the long term future.