Favre: Rams have to get more pieces around Goff & Gurley.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brett always calls it straight, always like listening to what he's got to say.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well at least all of those concussions haven't taken away his common sense yet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm at the point right now I'd be happy to see some of the pieces we have actually coached up with a new staff than let go only to be coached up and their potential realized for somebody else. Some of them need to go obviously but some I think can be salvaged and made to be good players.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm at the point right now I'd be happy to see some of the pieces we have actually coached up with a new staff than let go only to be coached up and their potential realized for somebody else. Some of them need to go obviously but some I think can be salvaged and made to be good players.
Like who?
Just asking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like who?
Just asking.
Namely the rookie class this year and last year I see people wanting to trash the whole OLine and I think that's unrealistic and counter productive. GRob has come on after his benching and what little I've looked there don't appear to be many LT prospects in the draft and probably even less in free agency. Couple that with his guaranteed salary next year and it's going to be hard to replace him. That's one key people are all for waiving a guy but have no idea how to replace somebody that's the hard part. I've personally had enough of Barnes and Saffold I think both have been worse than Robinson this year especially with Saffolds injury concerns that always pop up. A guard and center will be much easier to replace than a LT. If he doesn't pan out at LT this year you don't have to bring him back and can use our 1st rounder in 2018 on a LT. So mostly I'm curious how a new OLine coach and OC would be able to work with our young OLine along with a couple additions.

Greg Zuerlein I think also should be brought back.

Some that I wouldn't mind us trying to replace though:

Robert Quinn, love the guy he can be a monster if he is healthy. There are too many pass rush starved teams out there to not be able to get something of value for him. A 2nd or 3rd round DE is much more likely to be able to step in and rotate at DE than step in at LT with this draft class.

TJ McDonald, again love the guy and his fire but we have a cheaper replacement already on the roster ready to move over to his spot and another guy ready to take Mo Alexanders spot in Joyner. I know I've seen this on Jrry's mocks but it's something I've though about before and it makes too much sense. We're going to need money for Donald and we could use what we'd pay TJ and Quinn for that and to try to get a free agent WR.

I'm torn on Trumaine and EJ at CB. Losing TruJo could be devastating but he has health problems and is probably going to ask for more money than I think he's worth. CB is one position we've seen a lot of success in the first couple of years from draft picks. We'd likely have to sign a middle of the road veteran to the roster if we let both of these guys go but I think in the long run it would be best. This is the one that I'm more hesitant on. Our CB position is rather weak and in flux but I don't think these two guys are long term solutions for the Rams so a new HC and DC might cut bait and rework the position.

Honestly though it's really all going to depend on the new HC and how quickly he thinks he can turn the team around to a winner. I have a feeling if he does my idea's for these guys on Defense but it would seem to me that implies he thinks we're 3 or 4 years from serious competition. If he thinks we can do it faster he might keep these guys on D.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Namely the rookie class this year and last year I see people wanting to trash the whole OLine and I think that's unrealistic and counter productive. GRob has come on after his benching and what little I've looked there don't appear to be many LT prospects in the draft and probably even less in free agency. Couple that with his guaranteed salary next year and it's going to be hard to replace him. That's one key people are all for waiving a guy but have no idea how to replace somebody that's the hard part. I've personally had enough of Barnes and Saffold I think both have been worse than Robinson this year especially with Saffolds injury concerns that always pop up. A guard and center will be much easier to replace than a LT. If he doesn't pan out at LT this year you don't have to bring him back and can use our 1st rounder in 2018 on a LT. So mostly I'm curious how a new OLine coach and OC would be able to work with our young OLine along with a couple additions.

Greg Zuerlein I think also should be brought back.

Some that I wouldn't mind us trying to replace though:

Robert Quinn, love the guy he can be a monster if he is healthy. There are too many pass rush starved teams out there to not be able to get something of value for him. A 2nd or 3rd round DE is much more likely to be able to step in and rotate at DE than step in at LT with this draft class.

TJ McDonald, again love the guy and his fire but we have a cheaper replacement already on the roster ready to move over to his spot and another guy ready to take Mo Alexanders spot in Joyner. I know I've seen this on Jrry's mocks but it's something I've though about before and it makes too much sense. We're going to need money for Donald and we could use what we'd pay TJ and Quinn for that and to try to get a free agent WR.

I'm torn on Trumaine and EJ at CB. Losing TruJo could be devastating but he has health problems and is probably going to ask for more money than I think he's worth. CB is one position we've seen a lot of success in the first couple of years from draft picks. We'd likely have to sign a middle of the road veteran to the roster if we let both of these guys go but I think in the long run it would be best. This is the one that I'm more hesitant on. Our CB position is rather weak and in flux but I don't think these two guys are long term solutions for the Rams so a new HC and DC might cut bait and rework the position.

Honestly though it's really all going to depend on the new HC and how quickly he thinks he can turn the team around to a winner. I have a feeling if he does my idea's for these guys on Defense but it would seem to me that implies he thinks we're 3 or 4 years from serious competition. If he thinks we can do it faster he might keep these guys on D.
Good stuff. Thanks. I wouldn't be completely opposed to seeing what we can get in the way of draft pick(s) for Austin and Quinn. I like Austin, and I like how he can flip a game with just one play, but I'd rather we get someone bigger and stronger. Not to mention someone less involved with himself on social media. Not that he's a trouble-maker or anything. It's just that he seems to wanna be a celebrity first, and football player second. Isaac Bruce said a while ago that Austin needed to focus and channel all of his energy into becoming a legitimate receiver before he gets typecast as a gadget player. I don't think he's doing that. I don't think he's interested in doing that. IMO of course. Quinn is a premium player at a premium spot. If anyone can help recoup that first rounder, it would be him. Even if he garnered a high second that we could parlay into a first with another pick or player. He's also a guy who can flip a game with a timely strip-sack, but I think the rigors of the game are catching up to him quickly. Gotta strike when the iron's hot with guys like those two.

Agree on the O-line. I've watched them individually and as a group. There's something hinky with them as a group. Maybe a change in coaching will help there, but they definitely need to try and infuse some new blood too. One or two new guys might nail down the chemistry.

I would also get Cooper, Higbee, Hemingway, Thomas and Spruce up to speed in the off-season quickly. Get them the lion's share of reps until they understood everything like it was second nature. IMO, we need a whole new receiving corps that can grow together and develop a bond of their own. I don't particularly care for the ones we have now, even though they're playing better. I just look at other receivers on other teams, who don't even have highly recognized names, and they just seem to ... I dunno ... "look" better. More fluid. Less stiff. I don't see a new coach keeping many of them for longer than another season, and I'm hoping the new coach will give everyone a fair shot regardless of where they were drafted or how much they make.

I don't see them parting with Johnson or Gaines, and I can see a new DC making some positional changes in the secondary, but that's going to be based on how well they can adapt to a new scheme too. I really don't see Williams returning. And I know we have a bunch of things to address, but I'd really like to see a thumper at MLB and move Ogletree back to where he was. I don't know that a new DC will be as fond of the hybrid role, so that might make Barron a safety candidate or nickel corner. Who knows. At least we have a lot of things to discuss this offseason as things start to shake out.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@OldSchool @-X-

those are great suggestions...yet Farve stated he couldn't name 5 Rams...Is that a problem? IDK

it's time to shake up the roster...not sure who'll stick...but I'm hoping they get new corners B4 we replace the receiving corps. Not really a fan of Joyner in any role in the secondary. Add a LB...Keeping Tree in there with him...And a DE...one of those lil pass rushing kind...
O-Line...one or 2 key pieces...starting with Center...and a tackle...ready to move G-Rob to RT...but we need to find out if any of our guards can play...

Zero

Pro Bowler

With you on this.Especially when it comes to the oline.
I want to see if it's a talent issue or maybe the coaching.
I know coach Bou comes with a good reputation and I'm
sure he has earned it.I just expected more development
from these guys and hopefully the change will be a positive one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking thru that roster and I really shake my head over that Austin contract...
Don't think Quinn fetches more than a 3rd TBH

Oline needs help but needs identity first. ZBS? Center has been weak link since McCollum got old

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
those are great suggestions...yet Farve stated he couldn't name 5 Rams...Is that a problem? IDK

I would take it with a grain of salt.

He doesn't follow the Rams as closely as we do and that is a major factor in why he can't name 5 Rams. We may get a better picture when a new coach comes in an decides which pieces of our roster he can work with.

That being said, I'm with @OldSchool in thinking we need to see what some of these players can do if coached up, and if they can be coached up. While I would agree with anyone that says we can improve the talent on our offense, I think with better coaching on that side of the ball, we could have had an offense that was definitely better than dead last in the league. No juggernaut, but definitely better than dead last.

When the average fan sitting on his couch can pick up on our offensive tendencies as easily as many do, you can be assured that anyone who's made it to DC in the NFL will be able to do the same, and more. That's a function of coaching, not necessarily player talent.

Zero

Pro Bowler
GRob has come on after his benching and what little I've looked there don't appear to be many LT prospects in the draft and probably even less in free agency.
Just a Damn good post OldSchool.
Agree on Robinson.While his development has been slower
than I had hoped,as long as he continues to improve I see
no reason to replace him.He is young and God knows he has
all the physical tools.He needs to hook back up with LeCharles Bentley
in the off season and continue to perfect his craft.I honestly wish the rams
would hire Bentley to be a special assistant for Greg.I think he could really
help Greg reach his potential if given more time on a daily basis
I am also not in the camp that wants him moved to Guard.Come too far for that.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
Isaac Bruce said a while ago that Austin needed to focus and channel all of his energy into becoming a legitimate receiver before he gets typecast as a gadget player. I don't think he's doing that. I don't think he's interested in doing that.
Hate it cause I love what he brings to our team,but
I agree.I personally haven't seen that jump from one off season to
the next season that you see out of the great ones in their early years
of development.I still remember Ike's second year.He came out like he was shot out of a
cannon.That stuff doesn't happen unless you're busting your ass in the off season.

Zero

Pro Bowler
frabz-NO-THANKS-IVE-BEEN-SOBER-16-MONTHS-d06683.jpg

A55VA6

Legend
I wanted him AND Wentz, and a switch to read-option. But I don't think he's the right guy for Goff.
Yeah, I don't think so either.

This is one reason why I want Gruden or Shanahan. I feel like both coaches would be good for Goff.