Favorite Childhood Toys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
I was getting lost in 60’s and 70’s era commercials on YouTube and I ran across a toy I had not thought of in years: The SSP Racer car called the Black Widow. This little car had a rip cord that you fed into the teeth of a friction(?) type motor wheel in the center of it.You pulled it hard and that center wheel would make that toy car go like hell!. There were several versions of the SSP car besides the Black Widow, but I Always thought it was the fastest and the coolest looking one.

Another favorite, of course, was the Big Wheel. I mst have worn out two to three of those in my youth, before I could ride a bike.

Hot Wheels and track were fun to set up, seeing how high of a ramp you could make to run the cars down.

Green Army men and Lincoln Logs in war. We’d spend a half hour setting up fortifications in the back yard, making fortresses out of dirt and logs, placing the men where we thought they could survive incoming dirt clods that we’d throw at each others Army.

Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots!

Football and baseball were common too. Home video games didn’t exist and aside from “Pong” they didn’t exist outside anywhere, either.

Loved the SSP cars!! Thanks for knocking that memory loose.
Also loved my big box of orange hot wheel tracks and "sizzlers" "Fat Tracks"

Sizzlers02.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I had a SSP car. Many hours of fun with that.

Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Train tracks were favorites.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My neighborhood friends and I would go through these like mad.

The bodily sacrifices we made, so that it wouldn't roll into the gutter, were pretty crazy.4ed18241a750a40c1e643854b4106a9a.jpg

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't tell you how many times my brother and I had to get in the sewer to recover baseballs.
The subdivision I grew up in was all connected by this labyrinth of concrete underground storm sewers. In the Summer they would dry up and we’d cross the entire subdivision underground one side to the other… pop up and get out.

:laugh4:

Tano

Legend
The subdivision I grew up in was all connected by this labyrinth of concrete underground storm sewers. In the Summer they would dry up and we’d cross the entire subdivision underground one side to the other… pop up and get out.

:laugh4:
We had a sewer system not as big as that but we could go from one end to the other about a mile or two across

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There was a series of snap-together dinosaur models from a company called Aurora. The series was called "Prehistoric Scenes." I loved those.
dino.jpg
dino2.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Green Army men and Lincoln Logs in war. We’d spend a half hour setting up fortifications in the back yard, making fortresses out of dirt and logs, placing the men where we thought they could survive incoming dirt clods that we’d throw at each others Army.
I did the same thing...except with stuffed animals by myself.

I also had an old Gameboy that I played Mario with my dad and little brother (I got the furthest, but six-year-old-me never beat the game.)

And I would absolutely be remiss if I didn't mention Pokemon Gold. I mean, that right there was my main childhood video game; I spent literal years playing it.

Also, my dad bought an Xbox and Halo for himself, and my brother and I ended up playing more than he ever did, haha. I've been for team Xbox in the Xbox/PS war ever since.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm not kidding when I say I only had 4 store-bought toys in my life. The last one I got was when I was 10 and it was one I worked for. It was a gas engined plane that was controlled by a lanyard. No RC back then. I never flew it for fear of breaking the only toy I had. Yes I played with it but as simply a static toy. My siblings and I made our own toys when we grew up. We never felt deprived in any way. The house was always filled with loving parents and family. We had dogs and cats, and I had a pet rat.

It's why I eventually owned a hobby shop. I sat in my store building plastic models for display, talking to the neighborhood kids who would drop by and BS about stuff. Best job I ever had. Didn't make a lot of money but I never felt it was work.

Yup that yellow plastic plane was my pride and joy, that and my stuffed bear I had since I was 3 yrs old.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not kidding when I say I only had 4 store-bought toys in my life. The last one I got was when I was 10 and it was one I worked for. It was a gas engined plane that was controlled by a lanyard. No RC back then. I never flew it for fear of breaking the only toy I had. Yes I played with it but as simply a static toy. My siblings and I made our own toys when we grew up. We never felt deprived in any way. The house was always filled with loving parents and family. We had dogs and cats, and I had a pet rat.

It's why I eventually owned a hobby shop. I sat in my store building plastic models for display, talking to the neighborhood kids who would drop by and BS about stuff. Best job I ever had. Didn't make a lot of money but I never felt it was work.

Yup that yellow plastic plane was my pride and joy, that and my stuffed bear I had since I was 3 yrs old.
I was given a Japanese Zero plane of the same type by a neighbor down the street. They used to build their planes from scratch and probably had twenty of them hanging in the garage. They would go compete with them on weekends, but the engines/props sort of scared me and that probably kept me out of it. That, and we didn't have money for things like that.