Faulk: Rams Should Start Goff If He Can Handle It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ormer Rams RB Marshall Faulk says the Rams should start rookie QB Jared Goff if he can handle it. NFL Network interviews him from a Celebrity gold tournament in Rancho Sante Fe, CA.

Watch Faulk Talk Goff/Rams

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yeah, ths was posted the other day. If Marshall had done his homework on Goff he would know that Jared suffered through a 1-11 season his freshman year and played better and the team won more games in each of his soph and Junior years.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think Marshall knows about Goff's growth in college from the freshman disaster year to the junior year bowl win. He was just being concise for the sake of the interview.

I think the essence of what he said is correct, though. Who would have known that a Cal 1-11 season would have been a blessing to a Los Angeles based version of our Rams, with an 18-year-old kid fresh out of high school at the helm. His character was tested that year.

The imperical evidence now exists. The roadmap, if you will, to go from disaster to success. I am not saying the Rams are the 2013 Cal Bears. The way I see it we are more the 2015 Cal Bears, in terms of progress. Jared is able to pick up from where he was and take the next step. Not a step back.

Granted, it is the NFL, now. There are huge adjustments. In speed of game. Quality of opposition. But I believe the learning curve for this young man will be far less steep than many dismissive pundits assume. And, dare I say, than many of my fellow ROD scholars fear.

jap

Legend
Jerad's first season should be one of mostly learning---learning his limitations, how quickly NFL throwing lanes close, how fast pass rushers can get to him, how effective his OL is, how effective a Gurley Express! ground attack can augment his passing game, how to create favorable match-ups with his fly guys, etc. We ought to see flashes early on and, hopefully, and a more definite pattern emerge as the season wears on. It would be great for him to gain a rushing attack he can trust to fully exploit play action passing. It would be greater still if he can steer the Horns into the post season and experienced the heightened game intensity then.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff Impressing Coaches with Work Ethic, Showing Early Progress
by Myles Simmons, Rams Insider

With the Rams beginning OTAs next week, No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff will be on the field squaring off against a defense for the first time in practice. Because players are not in pads, the organized team activities are essentially a period of continued learning. And the coaches who work closely with Los Angeles’ newest quarterback — offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke — are looking forward to seeing Goff progress on the field.

When the organization made the decision to trade for the first pick, it was clear there was a general consensus one quarterback appeared a cut above the rest. According to Weinke, Goff’s film was simply outstanding.

“The guy is just a natural passer of the football. You can tell he’s a natural athlete,” the QB coach said. “He was probably the smoothest guy that I’ve evaluated in a long time, as it relates to pocket awareness and pocket presence.

“Time after time, you’ve seen him make big plays,” Weinke continued. “And the guy made some ‘wow’ throws that not a lot of college guys have made — or that I’ve ever seen on film. You really put all those variables together, and he was a guy who kind of rose to the top and we felt like would be a good fit here in Los Angeles.”

But it wasn’t just about the throws. The fact that Goff helped bring Cal from an 11-loss team his freshman year to winning the program’s first bowl game since 2008 speaks volumes about his leadership ability.

“Collectively, you look at his body of work and what he did as a young kid going into Cal … not only physically, but mentally what he was able to accomplish, and truly be the leader of that football team,” Weinke said, adding to “go from 1-11 to going to a bowl game and winning is important, as it relates to the quarterback position and leadership ability.”
Goff_Weinke_2_600x300.jpg

According to Boras, Goff has shown those qualities even in the short time he’s been a Ram.

“Watching him with the other rookies and just the leadership, and getting those guys out involved — it’s all the things that you’d hope for, and you heard,” Boras said. “But now to see it in person, it’s truly exciting.”

Goff’s strong work ethic has been well documented, but witnessing it in person has nevertheless been noteworthy for Boras and Weinke.

“The thing that’s really impressed me with Jared has just been his commitment to the classroom and his commitment to learn,” Boras said. “He’s been in there early for every meeting — I don’t mean five-minutes early. The meeting is supposed to start at 8:30, he’s trying to roll in and he’s always working.”

“The good thing about Jared is that he’s a cerebral kid,” Weinke said. “He’s very smart. He can absorb the information. In our research and our due diligence on him, we found that out — that this guy can take the information from the classroom and apply it out on the field. And that was important to us.”

Those factors have made the coaches comfortable with giving the rookie QB plenty to learn in the nascent stage of his career.

“We’re throwing a lot at him — probably more than you would throw to most guys,” Boras said. “We’re going to throw a lot at him right now, see what sticks, instead of just spoon feeding it along. Now, obviously, we want him to have success and feel comfortable, but we need to challenge.

“We need to raise our level of expectations, not just for him but for this entire offense. So we’re trying to put as much not only on Jared, but with all of these guys, as possible,” Boras continued. “So what maybe we would’ve taken the mid-OTAs to get to, we’re trying to get to now. And the more you hear anything — repetition is the mother of all learning. So the more that we throw and the more chances they have to hear it, the better it has to stick.”
Goff_Boras_600x300.jpg

Going along with that, Goff has shown a proclivity for asking relevant questions whenever he needs clarification. It’s a behavior the coaching staff has encouraged since his arrival.

“I think it’s important that you lay the foundation on Day 1 with a young quarterback — understand that there are no dumb questions,” Weinke said. “Understand that the more questions you ask, the better we’re going to feel. Don’t ever assume that you know the answer.

“And so [Goff’s] done an outstanding job of, throughout the course of meetings, whether it’s with coach Boras or myself, pausing and saying, ‘Wait, I don’t understand that. Explain that to me better,’” Weinke continued. “We’re excited about that. That means he’s not afraid to ask questions. And then when we do teach him something, he is absorbing it and understands it.”

Despite the staff’s ability to put a lot on Goff’s plate, there are ways within the scheme where they’ll look to smooth the rookie’s transition to the NFL — particularly with pass protection. Boras identified the understanding of pass-protection concepts as the biggest hurdle first-year QBs often face.

“The pass concepts don’t vary very much from college to the NFL — or really from one team in the NFL to another. It’s really the protections and knowing what your problems are,” Boras said. “If we can make the run game simple for them, if we can simplify protections — and by simplify, it doesn’t mean max protect necessarily. But just letting him know where his problems are, and if you have a problem, how do you fix it? And then once he gets accustomed to that, he’ll have the opportunity to go be himself and spin the ball like we know he’s capable of doing.”
Goff_Weinke_600x300.jpg

Plus, the Rams have the reigning AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in Todd Gurley, whose ability to run the football inherently takes pressure off the quarterback and the passing game.

“That’s what coach Fisher told him when he first got here, and when we really first met Jared was, ‘You know who our running back is?’” Boras said. “And that’s what we can’t forget. His best friend is going to be turning around and handing it to Todd. And then whey they stack the box and try to take Todd away, we need to be able to take advantage of it through the air.”

And so as the Rams begin their OTA sessions next week, both Boras and Weinke are highly encouraged by the prospect of Goff learning and growing in his new offensive system.

“There’s bumps along the road, but he’s understanding the process,” Boras said. “And we’re just trying to make sure we’re building the foundation that will allow him to be successful on Sundays in the near future.”

“He’s, really, exactly what you’re looking for,” Weinke said. “Great clay to mold, and we’re excited about what he brings to this football team.”

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Goff-Impressing-Coaches-with-Work-Ethic-Showing-Early-Progress/54b9c253-ae91-4b30-a355-2f91a86f8588

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Granted, it is the NFL, now. There are huge adjustments. In speed of game. Quality of opposition. But I believe the learning curve for this young man will be far less steep than many dismissive pundits assume. And, dare I say, than many of my fellow ROD scholars fear.
I, for one, Don't think it will be anymore difficult an adjustment than it was for, say, Andrew Luck. Which is to say, Not difficult at all!!;):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The way I see it we are more the 2015 Cal Bears, in terms of progress. Jared is able to pick up from where he was and take the next step. Not a step back.........Granted, it is the NFL, now. There are huge adjustments. In speed of game. Quality of opposition. But I believe the learning curve for this young man will be far less steep than many dismissive pundits assume. And, dare I say, than many of my fellow ROD scholars fear.
Interesting comparison....that Cal team started 5-0 too....but whew that defense....I think this is his best team since his last year in high school. We have talent...at all positions...and YES, even WIDE RECEIVER!!!!And I totally agree with he'll hit the ground running...that is starting...yeah, he'll make mistakes, but what QB doesn't? That post by @Mojo Ram says it all....as long as we can protect the kid, he'll do fine.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Interesting comparison....that Cal team started 5-0 too....but whew that defense....I think this is his best team since his last year in high school. We have talent...at all positions...and YES, even WIDE RECEIVER!!!!And I totally agree with he'll hit the ground running...that is starting...yeah, he'll make mistakes, but what QB doesn't? That post by @Mojo Ram says it all....as long as we can protect the kid, he'll do fine.
I think our New O-Line, which only gave up 18 sacks in their 1st year, will be drastically improve in their 2nd year together!
I predict Goff will have a GREAT 1st year in the NFL!!(y):mrburnsevil:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think our New O-Line, which only gave up 18 sacks in their 1st year, will be drastically improve in their 2nd year together!
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
It's funny, we weren't a bad line...I agree, we did allow quite a few pressures and knock-downs (91 I think)....which is where we need to improve. I also find it interesting we seem to pass block better than we run block....
2nd year, with added depth. I think the line should be a strength this year with health.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...onType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
It's funny, we weren't a bad line...I agree, we did allow quite a few pressures and knock-downs (91 I think)....which is where we need to improve. I also find it interesting we seem to pass block better than we run block....
2nd year, with added depth. I think the line should be a strength this year with health.
I was thinking, Champ, as you mentioned the knock-downs, about one particular knock down. The infamous helmet spear in the Green Bay game by Goldilocks on Foles.

Then I thought about another quarterback hit a few years back. JoLonn Dunbar essentially ending the Alex Smith era in SanFrancisco.

Though the Foles hit is not looked at as dramatically yet, I believe both hits were historical turning points in the fate of a franchise.

Foles had some early success with the Rams last year. It's easy to forget now, but he beat the Seahawks. He beat the Cardinals in Arizona. He was building a level of respect. He wasn't perfect. But many of us could see progressing to the playoffs under Foles.

Then, boom. The blond missile to the sternum.

Foles heart flew out of his chest with the hit. Oh, there was not a great panic, or any medical staffs rushing the gridiron with life saving equipment.

But be sure of this. Something died in Foles at that moment. The season turned ugly. We all called for his head, and Keenum finished the season in a competent way. Not enough for the playoffs though. Another painful walk to the exits.

And another line drawn through the name of a potential quarterback savior.

The turning point of the blond missile has brought about events resulting in Jared Goff in horns.

I still get mad when I think about that hit, and the lack of a penalty call. But now that I see the dramatic turn of the SS Rams ship, I wouldn't change a thing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Roman Snow

LOL...I remember the hit well....You expressed it so eloquently....:)

And it may have turned our fortunes for the better....I do remember Foles opening day...and the man after, hell during the Green Bay game was different.:death: