Farewell to the “Meanest Man in Football”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ed Sprinkle, “Meanest Man in Football,” dies at 90
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2014

edsprinkle.jpg

Ed Sprinkle, a Chicago Bears defensive end in the 1940s and 1950s who was dubbed “The Meanest Man in Football,” has died at the age of 90.

Sprinkle was handed the “Meanest Man” moniker by Collier’smagazine in a 1950 article, and reading about Sprinkle in 2014 feels like taking a time machine to a distant past in which evenNdamukong Suh would think the game was getting too violent.

From a 1949 Chicago Tribune article: “After the game, [Chicago Cardinals] Coach Buddy Parker charged that Ed Sprinkle, Bears’ end, deliberately stomped on Elmer Angsman, star right halfback. Reached at his home last night, Angsman corroborated his coach’s stand and said he has five cleat marks on his chest.”

The Associated Press quoted Hall of Fame Philadelphia Eagles coach Earle (Greasy) Neal as saying after another game, “Action should be taken against Sprinkle for his illegal use of arms. Unless something is done about it, we’ll take matters into our own hands.”

The Los Angeles Times gave this account of a Rams-Bears game: “The Ram attack was weakened consid-erably in the third quarter when fullback Dick Hoerner suffered a slight concussion after assertedly being worked over by the notorious Bear end, Ed Sprinkle. Hoerner was taken to Queen of Angels hospital for observation.”

Sprinkle denied that he was a dirty player, but he did enjoy the physical nature of football.

“I never really played dirty football in my life,” Sprinkle said. “But I’d knock the hell out of a guy if I got the chance.”

Sprinkle was only 6-foot-1 and 207 pounds, but George Halas, the founder and longtime coach of the Bears, said he never saw a more intimidating pass rusher.

“Every team in the league has a passer who can beat you if you give him time to throw,” Halas said in 1950. “The only way you can stop passers like Baugh of Washington and Waterfield of Los Angeles is to rush them — knock them down before they throw. That’s where Sprinkle shines. He’s the greatest pass-rusher I’ve ever seen.

Don’t forget, every time Sprinkle rushes the passer, the other team has at least two men blocking him. Sometimes it’s three when a guard pulls out of the line to help the tackle and halfback. . . . He’s got to push and shove and claw his way past those blockers, and if somebody gets an unintentional whack in the nose now and then, well, that’s football.”

That was football as Ed Sprinkle played it.

Photo via Chicago Bears.

Rambition

Rookie
i guess the mantle now passes to conrad dobler...the guy i used to call "Doblerman Pinscher."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i guess the mantle now passes to conrad dobler...the guy i used to call "Doblerman Pinscher."
The great Merlin Olsen once called Dobler the "Dirties Player in Football" And when I heard him say this I got the impression he didn't like Dobler at all!!!!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The great Merlin Olsen once called Dobler the "Dirties Player in Football" And when I heard him say this I got the impression he didn't like Dobler at all!!!!
No he didn't ,I was a Cardinal fan during those days and watched those battles intently,FWIW on one pass rush I remember Merlin took three swipes at Doblers ribs with his fist, so they both took liberties ,I have no doubt though Olsen was well provoked

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No he didn't ,I was a Cardinal fan during those days and watched those battles intently,FWIW on one pass rush I remember Merlin took three swipes at Doblers ribs with his fist, so they both took liberties ,I have no doubt though Olsen was well provoked
I'm not saying weather Dobler was or wasn't. But ( I heard this personally! ) In a post retirement interview Olsen was asked If there was one player, in his career, he really hated to go up against, and he said " ..Conrad Dobler, He's probably the Dirtiest player in Football" I remember it vividly, because I'd never heard Merlin speak that way about any player before! FWIW.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm not saying weather Dobler was or wasn't. But ( I heard this personally! ) In a post retirement interview Olsen was asked If there was one player, in his career, he really hated to go up against, and he said " ..Conrad Dobler, He's probably the Dirtiest player in Football" I remember it vividly, because I'd never heard Merlin speak that way about any player before! FWIW.
Ther's no DOUBT he was that dirty,and was in Olsens head just tellin ya ISAW the stuff happenin',don't think I'm defending anyone but it was great watching

Rambition

Rookie
i actually feel sorry for old doblerman pinscher. the man can hardly walk, and only gets about with the aid of a cain and much pain and effort. he's in constant pain and only gets through the day by gobbling painkillers. he'll probably have to have his right leg amputated at the knee...which looks like this:
dobler%2B-%2Bknee.jpg

to top it all off, as he and his wife were having a BBQ in the back yard, his wife was relaxing in a hammock. at some point, she moved in the hammock and it flipped her out, snapping her neck and leaving her a paraplegic.

Rambition

Rookie
yes, i heard that. did you know that when olsen was doing his father murphy tv show, there was a scene in one episode there was a funeral scene in which the only headstone with a name that could be read was inscribed "conrad dobler"?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
i actually feel sorry for old doblerman pinscher. the man can hardly walk, and only gets about with the aid of a cain and much pain and effort. he's in constant pain and only gets through the day by gobbling painkillers. he'll probably have to have his right leg amputated at the knee...which looks like this:
dobler%2B-%2Bknee.jpg

to top it all off, as he and his wife were having a BBQ in the back yard, his wife was relaxing in a hammock. at some point, she moved in the hammock and it flipped her out, snapping her neck and leaving her a paraplegic.
Wow sad story, Dobler was really a good dude ,he just took it to the limit, in an era when there was a whole lot of "dirty" he was just more imaginative and uninhibited,I was never outraged over it.