Fansided: 5 Moves to Free $80M

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Step 1 – Restructure high paid player contracts
The first step for the team would be to go after the largest contract. Right now, that means the $36 million cap hit by quarterback Jared Goff‘s current contract. That contract alone consumes over 17 percent of the team’s 2020 allocation. To place this into perspective, Goff’s contract is greater than the combined sum of 40 of the team’s lowest paid players. That’s a tough concept to wrap one’s head around.

Expecting the team to struggle, we had discussed the arduous task of analyzing the team’s highly compensated contracts in a previous article. From that restructuring exercise, we discovered a treasure trove of 2020 salary cap savings for the team available. Of course, math rules apply, so savings for this year are simply pushed out into future years.

But the team simply does not have the ability to avoid the inevitable. Contract restructuring is a must, and needs to happen quickly. By reclassifying salary and bonuses due the players this year, the team can recoup over $54 million. Place that on top of the current available space of $14 million and the Rams are up to $68 million. Oh so close, right? We’re just getting started.

Step 2 – Extend Jalen Ramsey
The Rams traded a boatload of NFL draft picks to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for the services of cornerback Jalen Ramsey. While Ramsey is not yet due to enter free agency, he remains a top priority for the team this off-season. After all, it’s clear that the Rams did not trade for him to watch him walk away a year later.

So the Rams need to sign him to a new contract. Right now, Spotrac.com estimates the average per year at approximately $16.8 million. Right now, the team has Ramsey at $13.7 million. So that seems like a cap hit, right? Well there is that magic of writing salary cap contracts again.

If the Rams are savvy, the team can get Jalen Ramsey signed to a new contract, and end up reducing his 2020 salary cap hit. How? Let’s examine contract clauses for the NFL salary cap.
To get Ramsey his money now, but lower his 2020 salary cap, the Rams can structure the contract to spread more money to the future. How? Well we know that his average annual amount is $16.8, so over five years, the contract is $94 million. That’s our number. Let’s start with a base salary of $7 million per year, netting him $35 million over five years.

Now we want to get him money up front, so create a $20 million signing bonus paid in 2020. Total contract now is $55 million. The remaining $39 million becomes roster bonuses paid in each of next four seasons: $9 million 2021, $10 million 2022, $10 million 2023, $10 million 2024.

His 2020 cap hit is $7 million, plus $20 million / 5 years or $4 million. Ramsey pockets $27 million this year, and the cost to the Rams is just $11 million for 2020. $2.7 million savings to the salary cap. That’s now $70.7 million free space, and we’re not done just yet.

Step 3 – Cut safety Eric Weddle
Veteran safety Eric Weddle is a fine player, and he certainly helped the LA Rams defense throughout the 2019 season. In fact, Weddle enjoyed a renaissance of sorts in his play, as he certainly helped the Rams defense.

Weddle wasted no time in showing up for the team in a big way. He landed second on the team in tackles with 108, defended 4 passes, and had 1.5 tackles for a loss. That’s the type of debut which oftentimes leads to a contract extension. But that will likely not be the case with the Rams.

Right now the team boasts two young and very good safeties in John Johnson and Taylor Rapp, both projected to start for the team in 2020. That only leaves a backup role for the returning veteran. However, he was signed as the presumed starter for two seasons. Cutting Weddle saves the team an estimated 4,250,524. That’s now $75 million freed salary cap space, and we’re still not done yet.

Step 4 – Trade Rob Havenstein
The LA Rams offensive line took a tumble in 2019. The team projected the loss of veterans Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan, and planned to fill the vacancies with first time starters Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen. While both Noteboom and Allen fell to season ending injuries, neither played well in their debuts. Making matters worse, right tackle Rob Havenstein played poorly as well before his season ended with an injury.

Now Havenstein is returning to an offensive line to join teammates he no longer recognizes. The team will likely line up Bobby Evans, Austin Corbett, Coleman Shelton, David Edwards, and Rob Havenstein as the roster stands today. Yet Havenstein struggled to play well with new teammates, and is coming off an injury this year. The team found promising rookie starters for the offensive line in both Bobby Evans and David Edwards in 2019. The Rams also traded for Austin Corbett, who also proved he can compete as a starter. With Coleman Shelton ripe to pick up a starting role at center, the Rams have a nearly a brand new starting offensive line for 2020.

Only Rob Havenstein is the odd man out. If the Rams successfully trade him, the team saves a substantial $5,400,000 to add back to the 2020 salary cap. And the team may pick up an additional day two 2020 NFL Draft pick as well. While Havenstein could prove to be a steal for his next NFL team, he simply did not play well surrounded by younger players last season. With that history, and coming off an injury, there is little reason to expect him to play significantly better this year.

That pushes the Rams available cap space over $80 million. We’re coming down to the home stretch now.

Step 5 – Trade Malcolm Brown
The Rams have enjoyed the play of running back Malcolm Brown for four seasons. To date, he has played a relief role for the team, carrying the ball four times per game on average. While that has been enough to spell teammate running back Todd Gurley, it is a consistent floor and ceiling for the team. A narrow band of what to expect each year.

This season, the Rams must improve the running game drastically. One option is to play a fullback on some offensive plays. Another option is to expand second year running back Darrell Henderson‘s touches per game. The team could sign a productive veteran free agent like Washington Redskin Chris Thompson. Or the team could even draft a sleeper running back like University of Washington Huskies Salvon Ahmed.

Whatever the course chosen by the Rams, the effect will be to diminish the already very limited role held by Brown in this offense. Trading Brown could net the Rams a day three pick for the 2020 NFL Draft, as well as free up an additional $1,100,000.

The total effect to the Rams salary cap space is to boost it to $81,100,000. That is after extending Jalen Ramsey as well. With that war chest, the Rams would be in perfect position to re-sign key Rams free agents, as well as look at adding some additional talent and depth to the team

Five steps for $81.1 million salary cap space. It’s doable, and it doesn’t cripple the team. In fact, in many ways, it places the team back on track for the Super Bowl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah that was a great move for us. Find myself wondering if the Rams will add him to the staff this year with the difference in what he would have made with a cut rolled into his coaching check. :D

Personally I think they will just cut Brown but we'll see. There's gonna be other moves like that too IMO like NRC. Unavoidable, onwards and upwards.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Yeah that was a great move for us. Find myself wondering if the Rams will add him to the staff this year with the difference in what he would have made with a cut rolled into his coaching check. :D

Personally I think they will just cut Brown but we'll see. There's gonna be other moves like that too IMO like NRC. Unavoidable, onwards and upwards.

We can't cut Brown. He's the only other RB besides Gurely that knows our system in and out. Not to mention Gurely's snap count.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We can't cut Brown. He's the only other RB besides Gurely that knows our system in and out. Not to mention Gurely's snap count.

Henderson takes Brown's place. We trade Brown for a sixth. We draft Sewo Olinilua to fill our power back spot. Problem solved.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Not much new here, its all been discussed several times on this forum.

I'm not worried about what we think we can afford at the moment, for me it's a matter of whether management believes we are in a position like 2018 where a top free agent (Suh) and a big trade (Cooks) can help take us deep into the play-offs once again, or whether they think 2020 is more of a developmental year and proceeds to rely on the draft, our younger players, and look to shoot our load in 2021 for another deep play-off run. jmo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Interesting piece. Makes me feel a bit better about the current cap situation...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not much new here, its all been discussed several times on this forum.

I'm not worried about what we think we can afford at the moment, for me it's a matter of whether management believes we are in a position like 2018 where a top free agent (Suh) and a big trade (Cooks) can help take us deep into the play-offs once again, or whether they think 2020 is more of a developmental year and proceeds to rely on the draft, our younger players, and look to shoot our load in 2021 for another deep play-off run. jmo.
Re: the FA options if they go get one I just hope they make sure he's a younger player (well below 30). Long as they do that, they've added a piece that solves the position long term.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We need to be pro active in the RB room. Need a 1A to pair w/ Henderson. Yes a power type back. I want a Chubb clone if all possible
Just my 2 Cdn Cents

Edit: And I don’t care if Gurley is still on the team get us another good RB that can steam roll people

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam

Step 1 – Restructure high paid player contracts
The first step for the team would be to go after the largest contract. Right now, that means the $36 million cap hit by quarterback Jared Goff‘s current contract. That contract alone consumes over 17 percent of the team’s 2020 allocation. To place this into perspective, Goff’s contract is greater than the combined sum of 40 of the team’s lowest paid players. That’s a tough concept to wrap one’s head around.

Expecting the team to struggle, we had discussed the arduous task of analyzing the team’s highly compensated contracts in a previous article. From that restructuring exercise, we discovered a treasure trove of 2020 salary cap savings for the team available. Of course, math rules apply, so savings for this year are simply pushed out into future years.

But the team simply does not have the ability to avoid the inevitable. Contract restructuring is a must, and needs to happen quickly. By reclassifying salary and bonuses due the players this year, the team can recoup over $54 million. Place that on top of the current available space of $14 million and the Rams are up to $68 million. Oh so close, right? We’re just getting started.

Step 2 – Extend Jalen Ramsey
The Rams traded a boatload of NFL draft picks to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for the services of cornerback Jalen Ramsey. While Ramsey is not yet due to enter free agency, he remains a top priority for the team this off-season. After all, it’s clear that the Rams did not trade for him to watch him walk away a year later.

So the Rams need to sign him to a new contract. Right now, Spotrac.com estimates the average per year at approximately $16.8 million. Right now, the team has Ramsey at $13.7 million. So that seems like a cap hit, right? Well there is that magic of writing salary cap contracts again.

If the Rams are savvy, the team can get Jalen Ramsey signed to a new contract, and end up reducing his 2020 salary cap hit. How? Let’s examine contract clauses for the NFL salary cap.
To get Ramsey his money now, but lower his 2020 salary cap, the Rams can structure the contract to spread more money to the future. How? Well we know that his average annual amount is $16.8, so over five years, the contract is $94 million. That’s our number. Let’s start with a base salary of $7 million per year, netting him $35 million over five years.

Now we want to get him money up front, so create a $20 million signing bonus paid in 2020. Total contract now is $55 million. The remaining $39 million becomes roster bonuses paid in each of next four seasons: $9 million 2021, $10 million 2022, $10 million 2023, $10 million 2024.

His 2020 cap hit is $7 million, plus $20 million / 5 years or $4 million. Ramsey pockets $27 million this year, and the cost to the Rams is just $11 million for 2020. $2.7 million savings to the salary cap. That’s now $70.7 million free space, and we’re not done just yet.

Step 3 – Cut safety Eric Weddle
Veteran safety Eric Weddle is a fine player, and he certainly helped the LA Rams defense throughout the 2019 season. In fact, Weddle enjoyed a renaissance of sorts in his play, as he certainly helped the Rams defense.

Weddle wasted no time in showing up for the team in a big way. He landed second on the team in tackles with 108, defended 4 passes, and had 1.5 tackles for a loss. That’s the type of debut which oftentimes leads to a contract extension. But that will likely not be the case with the Rams.

Right now the team boasts two young and very good safeties in John Johnson and Taylor Rapp, both projected to start for the team in 2020. That only leaves a backup role for the returning veteran. However, he was signed as the presumed starter for two seasons. Cutting Weddle saves the team an estimated 4,250,524. That’s now $75 million freed salary cap space, and we’re still not done yet.

Step 4 – Trade Rob Havenstein
The LA Rams offensive line took a tumble in 2019. The team projected the loss of veterans Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan, and planned to fill the vacancies with first time starters Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen. While both Noteboom and Allen fell to season ending injuries, neither played well in their debuts. Making matters worse, right tackle Rob Havenstein played poorly as well before his season ended with an injury.

Now Havenstein is returning to an offensive line to join teammates he no longer recognizes. The team will likely line up Bobby Evans, Austin Corbett, Coleman Shelton, David Edwards, and Rob Havenstein as the roster stands today. Yet Havenstein struggled to play well with new teammates, and is coming off an injury this year. The team found promising rookie starters for the offensive line in both Bobby Evans and David Edwards in 2019. The Rams also traded for Austin Corbett, who also proved he can compete as a starter. With Coleman Shelton ripe to pick up a starting role at center, the Rams have a nearly a brand new starting offensive line for 2020.

Only Rob Havenstein is the odd man out. If the Rams successfully trade him, the team saves a substantial $5,400,000 to add back to the 2020 salary cap. And the team may pick up an additional day two 2020 NFL Draft pick as well. While Havenstein could prove to be a steal for his next NFL team, he simply did not play well surrounded by younger players last season. With that history, and coming off an injury, there is little reason to expect him to play significantly better this year.

That pushes the Rams available cap space over $80 million. We’re coming down to the home stretch now.

Step 5 – Trade Malcolm Brown
The Rams have enjoyed the play of running back Malcolm Brown for four seasons. To date, he has played a relief role for the team, carrying the ball four times per game on average. While that has been enough to spell teammate running back Todd Gurley, it is a consistent floor and ceiling for the team. A narrow band of what to expect each year.

This season, the Rams must improve the running game drastically. One option is to play a fullback on some offensive plays. Another option is to expand second year running back Darrell Henderson‘s touches per game. The team could sign a productive veteran free agent like Washington Redskin Chris Thompson. Or the team could even draft a sleeper running back like University of Washington Huskies Salvon Ahmed.

Whatever the course chosen by the Rams, the effect will be to diminish the already very limited role held by Brown in this offense. Trading Brown could net the Rams a day three pick for the 2020 NFL Draft, as well as free up an additional $1,100,000.

The total effect to the Rams salary cap space is to boost it to $81,100,000. That is after extending Jalen Ramsey as well. With that war chest, the Rams would be in perfect position to re-sign key Rams free agents, as well as look at adding some additional talent and depth to the team

Five steps for $81.1 million salary cap space. It’s doable, and it doesn’t cripple the team. In fact, in many ways, it places the team back on track for the Super Bowl.

I like and agree (And, I hope they happen!) with all your suggestions except for #4. While I don’t think Havenstein had a very good season last season I just think they would be taking a huge risk on an OL that was definitely already a weak spot for the Rams and in my very unprofessional opinion it could actually get worse by trading Havenstein unless they add a couple of quality Offensive Linemen (Trade, Draft, Free Agency) during the off-season. I am probably in the minority but even with his poor 2019 season I still think Havenstein can and will have a good/productive NFL career.

dang

Legend
I am good with all except 4. We would need to resign Whit for another year for this to be an option. I also want a stud interior lineman (likely thru FA). We need to re-establish a viable running game.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Agreed we need a plus LG for Whit & Boom

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
All eyes on Goff. Is he really worth the current amount. My simple answer is no. In this time of age you need to adapt to sudden changes. The lost of Saffold was the sudden change. You need to be flexible, and willing to put in the time and effort to study your opponents outside of the stadium. Don’t Bradford this organization.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like and agree (And, I hope they happen!) with all your suggestions except for #4. While I don’t think Havenstein had a very good season last season I just think they would be taking a huge risk on an OL that was definitely already a weak spot for the Rams and in my very unprofessional opinion it could actually get worse by trading Havenstein unless they add a couple of quality Offensive Linemen (Trade, Draft, Free Agency) during the off-season. I am probably in the minority but even with his poor 2019 season I still think Havenstein can and will have a good/productive NFL career.
That Step #4 is a big no-go with me too. (n):confused:

The weakest, largest indefinite amount of inexperienced unit on the Rams is the OL. Step #4 is taking out the experienced OL'er out of your seriously inexperienced OL. Why ? Based on the fact Rob had his 1st below average 9 gm shorten season out of 71 starts in pass protection & the Org has dished out oversized contracts on under performing players? The still youthful 27 yr old RT Rob Havenstein has had 4 very good seasons, now Rob has had 1 bad one, not that unusual..... closer to the norm in the NFL from what I have learned?

Question.... could that knee injury have occurred much earlier in the 2019 season? Could in fact that in that Pittsburgh gm might have Rob greatly aggravated that already weak knee? No way of knowing but I would guess that's what exactly what happened to Rob in 2019. The other negative event was his inability to get himself in the best playing condition in the off season that's on Rob.

I would fully expect Rob to redirect his time & attention to being in great shape going into TC & returning to 2017/2018 form & lead this very young OL into some big improvements in 2020 in their run blocking effectiveness.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

You mentioned Nickell Robey-Coleman who is the Rams most experienced Rams DB, as a possible candidate for trade or salary cap casualty. NRC could also be used in a draft trade where he could be trade fodder to move up to get a desired prospect.

NRC is my top consideration on moving on from. Plus when he is on the field he has blue lights flashing for the attention of the refs to exercise the throwing of their yellow rags.

NRC is a veteran who could do contribute to both of what the Rams Org need in upgrading the salary cap funds in the amount of $4.5 million & if traded adding an addition 2020 draft selection.

Rams secondary is the strength of this 2020 Ram team. Ramsey entering his 5th season & Hill entering his 6th season things are very solid. Snead has provided Brandon Staley with the possibilities of several new excellent Nickel prospects with Darious Williams entering his 3rd season & David Long entering his 2nd. In addition, another Nickel candidate is Donte Deayon who is entering his 4th season an RFA.

Rams have a club option in NRC's contract @ this time:

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
just looking at the super bowl teams they both had full backs that they used efficiently. i wonder if we could find a snout blowing fb that could take some snaps as a power i back also. might help gulley and would be effective in short yardage plays.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...........for me it's a matter of whether management believes we are in a position like 2018 where a top free agent (Suh) and a big trade (Cooks) can help take us deep into the play-offs once again, or whether they think 2020 is more of a developmental year and proceeds to rely on the draft, our younger players, and look to shoot our load in 2021 for another deep play-off run. jmo.

Your post here on the above Riverrunbbq would be a very good new thread post discussion IMO.

Snead has clearly stated he was of the belief that his built team was still SB contender material....I do not hold his beliefs on this current pending 2020 team. My judgement (@ this time) is this 2020 Ram team would tip to a larger % being involved on the Developmental area.

NON Playoff Ram units under development:
#1-Offensive Line
#2-Defensive Line
#3-Edge Rushers
#4-Interior LB'ers
#5-Special Teams

Set Playoff Ram Team units:
#1-Secondary(y):giggle:
#2-Wide Receiver(y):)
#3-Tight Ends (y) :love:
#4-QB

:bueller: