Fan loyalty tested again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_8f56c983-a8eb-5b3e-b9f6-4c7cf5a46f99.html

52aced8a69838.preview-620.jpg

Let us begin by acknowledging that it hasn’t been all bad.

There was the memorable Super Bowl victory by the spectacular 1999 “Greatest Show on Turf” Rams, a special team personified by an exciting cast of playmakers who tormented NFL defenses by scoring more than 500 points for three consecutive seasons.

We were treated to the mad-genius stylings of Air Coryell, and his Cardinals offense that led the way to a 31-11 record between 1974-1976. With Don Coryell and “Greatest Show” choreographer Mike Martz, our town has been entertained by two of the most brilliant offensive minds in modern NFL history.

There have been a few fantastic quarterback-receiver combinations. Jim Hart to Mel Gray, Neil Lomax to Roy Green, Kurt Warner to Isaac Bruce. There were two dazzling all-purpose backs in Marshall Faulk and Terry Metcalf.

St. Louis defenses have offered some great moments, like the 52 interceptions and a thousand safety blitzes by No. 8, Larry Wilson. And of course, who can ever forget “The Tackle” by Mike Jones?

Five Hall of Famers have represented St. Louis NFL teams: Wilson, tight end Jackie Smith, offensive tackle Dan Dierdorf, cornerback Roger Wehrli and Faulk.

Unfortunately …

There have been odd coaching hires (Bud Wilkinson). And too many misspent first-round draft choices. That regrettable roll call includes names such as Steve Little, Steve Pisarkiewicz, Clyde Duncan, Jason Smith, Trung Canidate and Tye Hill. There were bizarre personnel decisions that led to important players walking as free agents — with middle linebacker London Fletcher perhaps the most glaring example.

We’ve endured eccentric ownership, erratic management and front-office friction. There’s been sadness and tragedy including the death of talented tight end J.V. Cain, who collapsed during a 1979 training-camp practice and succumbed to heart failure on his 28th birthday.

There’s been damaging franchise instability. The Chicago Cardinals moved to St. Louis in 1960. The Cardinals left for Arizona in 1988. The Los Angeles Rams relocated to St. Louis in 1995. Whew.

There have been multiple stadium controversies, including the current standoff between the Rams and the St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission.

And all the while, St. Louis football teams have played under the formidable shadow of a popular, successful and historically prestigious baseball franchise.

This reality prompted Lomax, the quarterback, to cite the baseball team’s mascot when making this observation before the Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988:

“Fredbird is more popular than we are.”

Few would have argued the point.

More than anything, there have been too many losing NFL seasons.

If we connect their histories, the Cardinals (1960-1987) and Rams (1995 to present) have combined for only 16 winning records in 47 seasons.

Only eight of those 47 seasons ended with a St. Louis team qualifying for the NFL playoffs.

As the Rams get ready to play the New Orleans Saints today at the Edward Jones Done, the overall St. Louis NFL record consists of 703 regular-season games, 313 victories, 375 losses and 15 ties for a winning percentage of .455.

If the 5-8 Rams lose any of their final three games, they’ll have their ninth consecutive losing season — and 10th straight non-winning season. There have been only five longer streaks of losing seasons in NFL history, most recently a 10-year skid by Detroit from 2001 through 2010.

Yes, things could be worse. Since NFL football arrived in St. Louis in 1960, several NFL markets have had franchises with poorer overall winning percentages including Tampa Bay, Detroit, Atlanta and New Orleans.

But except for the two magnificent runs turned in by Coryell’s Cardinals and the Greatest Show Rams, the St. Louis NFL experience has been filled with futility and mediocrity. The Cardinals had 12 winning records in their 28 seasons here. The Rams have had four winning records in their 19 seasons.

For the most part St. Louis NFL football has been astoundingly bad, with the fans’ patience and loyalty tested by the relentless combination of losing and turmoil.

Why? Really, there’s no mystery here.

Let’s take a look …

FLEEING FRANCHISES

Except for the Oakland Raiders, who moved to Los Angeles, winning franchises don’t relocate. They move because they’ve been unsuccessful, embroiled in disputes over stadiums — or both. The Cardinals were 33-84-3 in their final 10 seasons on the south side of Chicago before leaving for St. Louis in 1960. Over their final five seasons in Anaheim, the Los Angeles Rams went 23-57 and were rejected in their demand for a new stadium. It’s easy to run from deep-rooted problems instead of digging in to solve them.

QUALITY OF OWNERSHIP

The Bidwill family has owned the Cardinals in three different markets: Chicago, St. Louis and Arizona. That pretty much tells us all that we need to know — though to be fair to native St. Louisan Michael Bidwill, he’s done a nice job in guiding the Cardinals after taking over for his father, Bill Bidwill.

The Rams were restless in Southern California, leaving the LA Coliseum for Orange County in the late 1970s. Owner Georgia Frontiere drew vociferous criticism in Los Angeles but enjoyed popularity in her hometown of St. Louis before her death in early 2008. All in all, Frontiere was a good owner here. But it’s fair to say that under Frontiere the Rams had a dysfunctional operation that was destabilized by incessant political infighting. The internecine conflict led to the premature demise of the Greatest Show success.

Current owner Stan Kroenke took over in 2010. He stepped up financially by hiring head coach Jeff Fisher and revamping the football operation at considerable cost. And Kroenke has enthusiastically funded expensive free-agent purchases. It’s too soon to pass judgment on Kroenke’s leadership in terms of the on-field product. This is his third season as the owner, and Fisher and GM Les Snead are less than two full years into a massive reconstruction project.

“We have a competitive owner in Stan Kroenke who is determined to build a winning football team,” said Kevin Demoff, the Rams’ chief operating officer. “He gives us every resource needed to win, and has the vision to build this team the right way, for the long term. That should give our fans hope for the future.”

This also must be said about Kroenke: the franchise’s standing in the community isn’t helped by his aloof personality and apparent unwillingness to engage in discussions to find a long-term solution to the stadium issue. St. Louis fans are understandably sensitive about stadium quarrels, which create an inherent paranoia over the fear of losing a team.

PERSONNEL

We don’t have the space or the time to list every mistake; such an exhaustive accounting would take up as many pages as Tolstoy’s “War and Peace.” But the STL Cardinals’ drafts were notoriously inept. And the Rams? They drafted 115 players between 2000 and 2012 and only one, running back Steven Jackson, became a Pro Bowl selection. It’s impossible to win if you draft poorly over a long period of time.

At this point, here’s the only question that matters:

Is there hope for better days?

The 2013 Rams have the NFL’s youngest roster for the second consecutive season. They have a chance to develop a good roster. Though they’ve made some personnel errors, Snead and Fisher have been putting pieces in place. The Rams will have two first-round draft choices — at least — in 2014.

“I understand the narrative of football futility in St. Louis,” Demoff said. “But I don’t really understand what that has to do with our GM and coach, who are less than two years into the job. Or our owner, who has controlled the franchise for three and a half years. They deserve a chance to create their own narrative. And we’re laying a foundation.”

The 2013 Rams were torn by the season-ending knee injury to starting quarterback Sam Bradford. That’s an obvious factor in the 5-8 record. And the Rams are housed in the powerhouse NFC West, rivals Seattle, San Francisco and Arizona are a combined 28-11. Rebuilding is more difficult in such a tough neighborhood.

Around the league the Rams are still perceived as a rising team with a bright future. But at some point — soon — the franchise must begin to deliver victories instead of promises. And Demoff is the first to say that.

“The most important thing we can do is play winning football,” he said. “There’s no substitute for that. It’s the best way to grow the fan base and make the fans believe in us.

“We’re headed in the right direction. But we’ve got to show that with our record — the wins and losses instead of rhetoric and potential.”

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
"You are what your record says you are" (Bill Parcells) And Bernie's article was fair IMO and on point and we as fans have endured this far too long. And all of us are avid fans and we can put down the fair weather fans, however, when things are good they pay to see our Rams just like you and I do.

No St. Louis is not Philadelphia (and I thank the Good Lord for that) but the Rams have played bad football you know it, I know it and the people of St. Louis know it. Everything hindges on the 2014 season and IMO Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke is all in that the Rams will have a great season and then push hard for a stadium.

All in all for most of us it's the same old song and like most of you I am getting sick and tired of being sick & tired as well as draft day being the most exiciting part of the Rams season and many times that day has ended with us shaking our heads in disdain!

We've been to tipperary and back gentlemen, but for the next two years we need to fasten our safety belts because it's going to be a bumpy ride.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That as the most depressing dang article I've ever read!!! Who writes this crud? I couldn't even read it all the they stamp "fan loyalty tested" for the title. You serious? GO FIGURE!!!

Anyway, all I know is I find myself much more humble these days after the Rams let me down. But hey, we all knew that if Sam went down then we were screwed. He was voted "player we could least afford to lose" before the season and it wasn't even close. That was the season and we all knew it! Sure we hoped the guy Kozar hated on would fill the hole but we didn't expect it. I know we're still in the hunt with Samford under center so those writers can eat it!! I don't give a dang about the past, I care about where this team is right now and that status is "QB'less." Not a problem when Sam comes back and we get a much better #2 QB. We go from there...

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My god! 4 winning seasons in 19 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I feel like I do. First, I can't believe it has been 19 years since the move and second, I can't believe I've been this patient and loyal. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Dunno man ,I'm just not a look backwards guy,I take the losses philosophically and revel in the victories and FWIW the day Stan bought the team it was a clean slate for him in my mind,I'm not going anywhere I'm gonna be a fan win or lose so I don't beat myself up over being one,I will acknowledge that they won't get me out for games I think we're gonna lose, i went to the Jax game cuz I knew the drive hoe was gonna be good ( 2hrs).
So it's fair to link winning to attendance IMO and I think few are more in tune to the knowledge of the cold fact no matter if he moved to LA Stan's team would still have to be worth watching or people wouldn't pay to do it that the Kroenk is.

I believe in that mans commitment to loftier goals than just profit and that his heart is in Missouri and he doesn't mind putting money where his heart is.

mr st louis said:That as the most depressing dang article I've ever read!!!

FWIW all I did was skim that article cuz it's just a rehash and I'm tired of the lazy rewrites ,anyone that article was referring to already knows 90% of and the newcomers will find out on their own, journalism is a lost art

Alan

Legend
Ramhusker showing why we love him:
My god! 4 winning seasons in 19 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I feel like I do. First, I can't believe it has been 19 years since the move and second, I can't believe I've been this patient and loyal. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We all admire your perseverance and loyalty. A model Ram fan.:wink:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Dunno man ,I'm just not a look backwards guy,I take the losses philosophically and revel in the victories and FWIW the day Stan bought the team it was a clean slate for him in my mind,I'm not going anywhere I'm gonna be a fan win or lose so I don't beat myself up over being one,I will acknowledge that they won't get me out for games I think we're gonna lose, i went to the Jax game cuz I knew the drive hoe was gonna be good ( 2hrs).
So it's fair to link winning to attendance IMO and I think few are more in tune to the knowledge of the cold fact no matter if he moved to LA Stan's team would still have to be worth watching or people wouldn't pay to do it that the Kroenk is.

I believe in that mans commitment to loftier goals than just profit and that his heart is in Missouri and he doesn't mind putting money where his heart is.

mr st louis said:That as the most depressing dang article I've ever read!!!

FWIW all I did was skim that article cuz it's just a rehash and I'm tired of the lazy rewrites ,anyone that article was referring to already knows 90% of and the newcomers will find out on their own, journalism is a lost art

Yeah that whole past thing has nothing to do w/ what's going on now.

2006-2011 was the dark ages. 2012 was the start of the Rams Renaissance.

tonyl711

Starter
Bill Bidwell was never a good owner and never had a front office worth a damn, his son is turning out to be a much better owner with a much better FO. Georgia was a good owner who had a bad FO, a FO that gets rid of the SB winning HC the year after he wins it, a FO who pushes a super bowl winning QB out the door, too much infighting for any kind of sustained success. Kroenke has come in and cleaned house, so far he has completely rebuilt the FO,they now have people working with each other instead of against each other, he spent the big money for a HC and is giving that HC pretty much what he wants FA wise. its way to early to really tell what kind of owner Stan will be, but from what he has shown so far IMO he will be a good one. my only gripe with him so far is his total silence about the Rams future in St Louis, even though I firmly believe he will keep them here it would help build the fan base up to hear a commitment from him IMO.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox

Agree completely with the two bolded parts above. Well said TD.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Bill Bidwell was never a good owner and never had a front office worth a damn, his son is turning out to be a much better owner with a much better FO. Georgia was a good owner who had a bad FO, a FO that gets rid of the SB winning HC the year after he wins it, a FO who pushes a super bowl winning QB out the door, too much infighting for any kind of sustained success. Kroenke has come in and cleaned house, so far he has completely rebuilt the FO,they now have people working with each other instead of against each other, he spent the big money for a HC and is giving that HC pretty much what he wants FA wise. its way to early to really tell what kind of owner Stan will be, but from what he has shown so far IMO he will be a good one. my only gripe with him so far is his total silence about the Rams future in St Louis, even though I firmly believe he will keep them here it would help build the fan base up to hear a commitment from him IMO.
Lemme defend Billy B here a little ,he was not of the financial ilk of this new generation and if the family had been of that sort of fortune back then I think he'd have been better remembered they produced some good teams early on ,gave Don Coryel his entre,I'ts not like he was a total incompetent ,IMO his biggest issue was the pwoer struggle and ultimate buyout of brother "Stormy" and the financial burden of paying that off in an era before the golden goose really crank up egg production.
JMO he had to move and there were two complete Dick columnists Rich Koster and Tom Barnidge who prosecuted near vendetta writing and but for their assholery the city and state might have helped him with a stadium which they still did to get the Rams

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Lemme defend Billy B here a little ,he was not of the financial ilk of this new generation and if the family had been of that sort of fortune back then I think he'd have been better remembered they produced some good teams early on ,gave Don Coryel his entre,I'ts not like he was a total incompetent ,IMO his biggest issue was the pwoer struggle and ultimate buyout of brother "Stormy" and the financial burden of paying that off in an era before the golden goose really crank up egg production.
JMO he had to move and there were two complete Dick columnists Rich Koster and Tom Barnidge who prosecuted near vendetta writing and but for their assholery the city and state might have helped him with a stadium which they still did to get the Rams
On the other side of the Bill B coin, he kept the same nincompoop in charge of drafting for years, Boone, and ignored his HC on decisions on the draft. Zark was a good college qb, sucked as a pro. And he was cheap, cheap, cheap! I will say the Big Red had the same issues with the refs as the Rams are having! I could have horse whipped the ref that called offensive pass interference on Roy Green in that Dallas game! I was so mad I didn't sleep that night!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yeah Boone was a guy who tried to get too cute in the first round but he was nails in the lower rounds,the renegotiation of the Metcalf contract was a stroke of pure PR ignorance .
How about the roughing call on Montana they hit EJ Junior with:slap:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Yeah Boone was a guy who tried to get too cute in the first round but he was nails in the lower rounds,the renegotiation of the Metcalf contract was a stroke of pure PR ignorance .
How about the roughing call on Montana they hit EJ Junior with:slap:
That gave them a first when it should have been 4th down. Cost them the game IMO!

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I can't decide between fan loyalty and fan mental illness to explain why we're all still here.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yup I don't doubt some Rams fans from back then hated that call too

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I can't decide between fan loyalty and fan mental illness to explain why we're all still here.
Hah, hah, hah! Don't get myself wound up about the games like I used to. It is a game, not life and death. Still, I get p-o'd at the refs for their stupid calls.