Fair catches!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I've never fielded a punt so my question is: Is Tavon instructed to not field a punt if the balls tumbling, no matter where it's coming down on the field? That one that netted 66 yards sort of looked catchable!

bluecoconuts

Legend
rhinobean said:
I've never fielded a punt so my question is: Is Tavon instructed to not field a punt if the balls tumbling, no matter where it's coming down on the field? That one that netted 66 yards sort of looked catchable!

I think its up to a few factors but ultimately its his decision. Tavon knows what he can do in the return game, if he calls a fair catch I'd think its safe to say he saw something and made the correct call. I don't know how much control the coaching staff has on fair catches vs returns.

V3

Hall of Fame
Of all the things in football, PR and KR are the things I'd want to do THE LEAST! Very tough.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
rhinobean said:

Yeah, that 66 yarder was a bad decision on Tavon's part. I'm assuming you speak of the punt that followed the no-call intentional grounding?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep! Thought it could have been fielded and better field position established for us.