FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Shit. A belly full of busch lite can only mean bad news. Like AD being traded news. Quick, start drinking real beer. The season my depend on it.
I'm pretty bummed we didn't get any good news. And surprised. They must've took the day off.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm pretty bummed we didn't get any good news. And surprised. They must've took the day off.
yeah I was expecting another major signing. I still believe that will happen, but stopped refreshing every 30 seconds. Sleep deprivation isnt all its cracked up to be.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
yeah I was expecting another major signing. I still believe that will happen, but stopped refreshing every 30 seconds. Sleep deprivation isnt all its cracked up to be.
True! I got some meat for my freezer, fixed my shed door, fixed my eve spout leak, got my snow blower put away and fixed out swing shade .. kept waiting and no news. A sad thing

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO I think everything is on hold until AD's contract is finished. Right now they have $8.8M in cap space. But that basically covers their rookie pool with a bit of change since their rookie pool will be at the back end of the draft. How AD's contract is structured will determine what they can do.

From what I've heard they want to sign OBJ and Michel. OBJ will be a minimal contract this year with incentives after he returns like last season. Those two probably will require $6M or so to sign. Michel will complete their RB room. OBJ will probably be a 3 year deal. So over and above that will determine who they can sign as FAs or in a trade.

So it's a holding pattern until AD's contract is done and they know how much they can spend.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
And a hybrid like that is something McVay has yet to use his entire time here. That's my point. If he drafts a RB it's somebody with speed can make all the runs and can block. This hybrid FB/TE is a fantasy of some fans that McVay has shown absolutely no desire to use. That's a Shanahan player not a McVay player.
That Johnny Mundt guy was a mirage then? :)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That Johnny Mundt guy was a mirage then? :)
He was a decent backup tight end. Are you implying we used him as a fullback? I’d question if you ever watched a Rams game if you are.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He was a decent backup tight end. Are you implying we used him as a fullback? I’d question if you ever watched a Rams game if you are.
That is a laughable response. I don’t agree with many many of your posts but at least that one was funny

oldnotdead

Legend
They tried Mundt as a FB and it lasted one play. If they really want to kick start their run game they have to get off this complete need to play 11 personnel on each and every play. Playing with a FB makes play action far more effective. It still gives them 4 receivers. IMO Robinson will take over Woods' old position of X receiver. With Robinson and Kupp outside, they would also have Higbee and the RB as well as the FB who is often overlooked in coverage after play action.

If you go back and break down the Rams inside run attack you will see how many times the run was stuffed by the MIKE who is completely unblocked. Had they played with a legit FB that play would have gained yardage. It's dumb to use your $160M QB as a short yardage RB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The "FB" in McVay's offense has been a group lift (i.e. wideouts are involved there) and Skow did a really nice job in that role for us last year. He's a bigger body than Woods and we may see him moved around in a TE/FB type look if they expand him that role.

In other words Higs would be the inline balanced TE. Then Skow moves around. He's big enough to do that job, fast enough as well, and has good hands for a "fullback."

Benny is just a good all around player who will get dirty and do what is required. Which is great to have as long as you're not paying him. McVay will probably adjust his scheme to having that piece. We probably won't ever have a conventional lead blocker but that's ok when your staff is drawing up lead blocks by a more mobile group of receivers and btw both Kupp and Robinson are loads in that usage even though you don't want to do that ideally and risk them too much.

oldnotdead

Legend
You want to convert a player to FB then they have one in Jonah Williams. He's got the size, speed and power to play FB. He also contemplated a switch to TE before the draft and showed good hands as a receiver during his pro day. He plays with power which is exactly what you want in a FB.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is a laughable response. I don’t agree with many many of your posts but at least that one was funny
So you're saying he was used as a fullback? Or as a TE blocking in the backfield? Honestly tell me how Mundt was used that I'm not understanding.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The "FB" in McVay's offense has been a group lift (i.e. wideouts are involved there) and Skow did a really nice job in that role for us last year. He's a bigger body than Woods and we may see him moved around in a TE/FB type look if they expand him that role.

In other words Higs would be the inline balanced TE. Then Skow moves around. He's big enough to do that job, fast enough as well, and has good hands for a "fullback."

Benny is just a good all around player who will get dirty and do what is required. Which is great to have as long as you're not paying him. McVay will probably adjust his scheme to having that piece. We probably won't ever have a conventional lead blocker but that's ok when your staff is drawing up lead blocks by a more mobile group of receivers and btw both Kupp and Robinson are loads in that usage even though you don't want to do that ideally and risk them too much.
I've seen several analysts including Baldy talk about the Shanahan/McVay offense and the one difference. Shanny will use a FB and McVay uses a 3rd WR. Shanny uses the FB to block and McVay uses the WR's heavily in the blocking scheme and both use the TE to great affect. Yes there are times where we have 2 TE hell our Athletic podcast is called 11 personnel for a reason 1 TE 1 RB it's the staple of McVay's offense. Anybody trying to indicate something different is focusing on a handful of plays only and not what actually happens on the field.

We want a TE and WR's who can block and still be effective in the passing game. Shanny and others in that coaching tree do it different. There's no right or wrong way of doing it there's just variations.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
FB/TE hybrid is called H back. Joe Gibbs invented the position in the 1980s with the Red Skins.

oldnotdead

Legend
Have you guys seen a real FB block? I watched Lorenzo Neal one of the best for years. This guy was a road grader when he hit the gap he would blow the LB out. How do you think Tomlinson gained all those HOF yards in a power scheme?

TE and WR don't block the same way a legit FB blocks. TE/WR don't blow anyone out of a gap. They impede more than block. A FB will move the defender off the LOS, your WR/TE don't do that. This is why the Rams suck in short yardage. FBs create holes where there is none. Have you watched the Niners run their power scheme and what happens to a SS or ILB when he's blocked by their FB?

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Have you guys seen a real FB block? I watched Lorenzo Neal one of the best for years. This guy was a road grader when he hit the gap he would blow the LB out. How do you think Tomlinson gained all those HOF yards in a power scheme?

TE and WR don't block the same way a legit FB blocks. TE/WR don't blow anyone out of a gap. They impede more than block. A FB will move the defender off the LOS, your WR/TE don't do that. This is why the Rams suck in short yardage. FBs create holes where there is none. Have you watched the Niners run their power scheme and what happens to a SS or ILB when he's blocked by their FB?
I'm an Iowa Hawkeye fan. I watch a FB every game. And our current FB, Monte Pottebaum is a badass and looks the part.

Attachments

• usa_today_16565310.0-1~2.jpg
    usa_today_16565310.0-1~2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 33

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where's James "the Hammer" Hodgins when we need him. 6'1" and 270 pounds.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I'm an Iowa Hawkeye fan. I watch a FB every game. And our current FB, Monte Pottebaum is a badass and looks the part.
I have one question for you Monte Pottebaum, if that's your real name: would you drink busch lite if someone tried to force you.