FA and Cap Outlook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
So you're saying he was used as a fullback? Or as a TE blocking in the backfield? Honestly tell me how Mundt was used that I'm not understanding.

I guess this guy didn’t watch any Rams games either :)

I don’t mind you having a different opinion or spouting them as fact because I mostly find you amusing. As Ballhawk said, a FB/TE cross is a H back. Their main role is blocking and the key to their designation is whether they line up on the line or behind it. I agree that Mundt did not play FB but his job was often to seal off the back end or move a safety or linebacker

I quote, “keep in mind that he delivered exactly what the LA Rams asked of him. He lined up as a power back, a full back, as an H back, just off the shoulder of an offensive tackle, and even off the line. He was positioned all over the field to give the Rams leverage on blocks that were crucial to the team’s running game”

Tom Rathbone was the best FB I ever saw and a player with his skill set would be a great fit for our west coast scheme, so never say never

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess this guy didn’t watch any Rams games either :)

I don’t mind you having a different opinion or spouting them as fact because I mostly find you amusing. As Ballhawk said, a FB/TE cross is a H back. Their main role is blocking and the key to their designation is whether they line up on the line or behind it. I agree that Mundt did not play FB but his job was often to seal off the back end or move a safety or linebacker

I quote, “keep in mind that he delivered exactly what the LA Rams asked of him. He lined up as a power back, a full back, as an H back, just off the shoulder of an offensive tackle, and even off the line. He was positioned all over the field to give the Rams leverage on blocks that were crucial to the team’s running game”

Tom Rathbone was the best FB I ever saw and a player with his skill set would be a great fit for our west coast scheme, so never say never

I completely understand what the history of the position is and it's growth and adjustments in use around the NFL is. My point is the Rams in their offense as a regular staple do not use a FB or a FB/TE hybrid the way people are suggesting. You brought up Mundt and he was used that way. Here's a snipet of the snaps taken for 2021 by all Rams TE including the playoffs.
1648132849149.png

So Mundt was in your estimation used in this FB role, I'm just going to call it a FB we both know the position and how it's changed but just typing FB is so simple. So Mundt was a FB in your estimation and was an important part of the offense and used that way. The only time he had any significant amount of snaps are the games early in the season when Higbee didn't get his normal 100% of the snaps. The guy wasn't even active for half the season and 5 straight games to end the season didn't see a snap. How is it such an important part of the Rams offense wasn't more active? Don't worry we all know the answer even if somebody will try to spin it that the FB is a McVay staple.

Lets however look at the guy who runs the similar offense as McVay who actually does use a FB in Shanny. Remember what I said before? Actual NFL analysts have countless times pointed out the difference in this offense between McVay and Shanny is a 3rd TE for us and a FB for them. Here's the RB snap count for last year for them.

1648133085570.png

Interesting that the #1 snap count for a team that uses a FB is said FB. Granted he's #1 because the RB behind him swapped out a lot to injuries and what not. Also interesting he had more snaps than all the backup Rams TE combined. Very strange stats, lets call them that instead of facts so they can be spun by people, about the difference in these offenses. It's almost like McVay doesn't utilize the FB in his offense but prefers a WR focus to getting the job done. As I've said many times in this thread and others about this perception that he uses a FB he does upon occasions based on the defense we're going against, injuries, game situations etc but this myth that he uses the FB as a regular staple just doesn't have any facts to back it up. Will he change in time? Maybe? Maybe he just doesn't have the right guy for this role, though that's strange because with the 2nd most picks in the NFL draft since getting here he sure hasn't spent any draft capital on it, Mundt after all was a UDFA.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams do have a 310 lb DT who has experience lining up next to the QB. He was an RB. So a part-time FB could be had from utilizing one of our SB DL'ers relievers.

Mike Hoecht demonstrated at his virtual pro day. when he ran a 4.65 forty-yard dash. Hoecht his senior year rushed for over 1,500 yards and 17 touchdowns in just ten games.

View: https://youtu.be/f6AMhlN9ZVk

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see the Rams take a look at Barr. He's still out there in FA. Can rush on the edge as a strong side type or play off ball. Not a difference maker but a versatile pro who makes the team better.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see the Rams take a look at Barr. He's still out there in FA. Can rush on the edge as a strong side type or play off ball. Not a difference maker but a versatile pro who makes the team better.
The kind of vet you can have mentor Lewis and a rookie as well.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Didn't even know he was a FA. He'd be a solid low level signing.