Eye-popping chart shows how often Rams run jet sweeps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams used motion plenty last season with Tavon Austin, but most of that was just to get the defense moving in one direction. They didn’t hand it off to him that often, instead using him as a decoy.

FYI this probably isn't accurate, and I thought it was off base so I looked.

Austin ran the ball 59 times last year and I don't recall him lining up in the backfield lol.

jjab360

Legend
I think it includes both no?

We should find out..........
Nah, our WRs have 26 rushing attempts between them and adding in the tap passes and the jet sweeps that Gurley has done, that'd put us at about 35 jet sweeps as the chart says. I'd estimate that we do about 3 fake jet sweeps for every actual, but that's just a guess.

It's all just a means to keep the defense guessing and confused and another evolution of what Rob Boras started in 2015 with Tavon/Gurley and mysteriously discontinued. Boras was only scratching the surface and used it exclusively with the run game iirc. Which goes into another odd thing Fisher did in 2016, separating the passing game coordinator and run game coordinator. Stupid.

McVay has molded it into another facet of both the run game and play action passing game, another instrument to make every play look the same until it doesn't and by then it's too late for the defense.