Eye-popping chart shows how often Rams run jet sweeps

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/27/nfl-los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-jet-sweep-stats/

Eye-popping chart shows how often Rams run jet sweeps
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_11649150.jpg

Before Sean McVay arrived in Los Angeles, the Rams’ offense was stale, stagnant, boring and described as being similar to that of a “middle school” team by Todd Gurley, himself. No matter how you cut it, the offense didn’t cut it in today’s pass-happy league.

Enter McVay, who’s the polar opposite of Jeff Fisher and his staff. He’s brought creativity and explosiveness to a team that ranked 32nd in points scored two years ago. His scheme has elevated the play of everyone involved, primarily Jared Goff and Gurley.

One element that he’s added in a big way this season is the jet sweep. Whether it’s a handoff to a wide receiver or a quick tap pass to Todd Gurley, the Rams use pre-snap motion more than any team in the NFL.

This chart below shows just how much they utilize jet sweeps, showing that it’s more than double the next-closest team.

View: https://twitter.com/KeeganAbdoo/status/1067446513591185408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1067446513591185408&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F11%2F27%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-sean-mcvay-jet-sweep-stats%2F

The Rams used motion plenty last season with Tavon Austin, but most of that was just to get the defense moving in one direction. They didn’t hand it off to him that often, instead using him as a decoy.

This year, wide receivers have 26 carries on jet sweeps, and that doesn’t include the handoffs to Gurley when motioning across the formation, or the times where Goff “throws” it to the ball carrier.

It should come as no surprise that the best offenses in the league use jet sweeps the most, too. The Chargers are second, followed by the Chiefs, Colts, Ravens and Saints. The Ravens are obviously the outlier, but even they rank 11th in the NFL in yards per game.

Not every team is cut out to use jet sweeps as much as the Rams, Chiefs and Chargers, but it’s clearly had a beneficial effect on their offenses.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Wasn't it actually Brian Schottenheimer and Tavon who made that play popular? I think it was. Now everyone runs it.

Ram65

Legend
Are the Rams jet sweeps been losing their effectiveness over past few weeks? Another thing to look at.

They still keep defenses having to watch/cover the entire field. Interesting how McVay uses all the WRs and I think Everett at times on these plays.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Remember when the discussion was how our offense would suffer without the amazing threat that was Tavon on the jet motion? :rolllaugh:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wasn't it actually Brian Schottenheimer and Tavon who made that play popular? I think it was. Now everyone runs it.

Speaking of Tavon, I thought Jerrah was going to find a way to finally use his talents...Is he even still with the 'Boyz ???I haven't a thing about him good or bad...

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Speaking of Tavon, I thought Jerrah was going to find a way to finally use his talents...Is he even still with the 'Boyz ???I haven't a thing about him good or bad...

Iirc, Tavon has been injured most of this season. But even when he was healthy we didnt hear much about him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That IS an eye popping chart. Wow!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One element that he’s added in a big way this season is the jet sweep. Whether it’s a handoff to a wide receiver or a quick tap pass to Todd Gurley, the Rams use pre-snap motion more than any team in the NFL.

Reminds me of Martz, he used motion unlike anyone. Sometimes even two formation shifts on the same play.

That IS an eye popping chart. Wow!

LOL yes and look at the right side of it.............other than PITT it's all bad teams.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think it was Percy Harvin that ran it initially. I can't remember if it was w/ the Vikings or later w/ the Squawks. With Lynch in Seattle, it would have been more productive.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I thought we would see a lot more from other teams, this is a copycat league after all. The rams do it far more than the next team.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Iirc, Tavon has been injured most of this season. But even when he was healthy we didnt hear much about him.

In 6 games he has 7 catches for 130 yards and a couple TD's. Half of that came on one play. Minus that play he'd be close to his career yards per catch average which is 9 yards. To say he's been a disappointment based on his draft status would be an understatement.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought we would see a lot more from other teams, this is a copycat league after all. The rams do it far more than the next team.

We will see much more of it down the road. Just gonna take some time, not all OCs out there are savvy at tying new concepts in to their scheme.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What are the odds we now see a steady increase of JS around the league?

We will see much more of it down the road. Just gonna take some time, not all OCs out there are savvy at tying new concepts in to their scheme.

IMO unless a team has a guy that is a threat to go all the way once he turns the corner it's not going to be that effective.

It's got to be a burner that can run away from people or a guy that has great wiggle and good speed.

Most WR's wouldn't be scary running the play. The reason Austin was killing teams was that he was shifting LB's and the DB assigned to him couldn't keep up.

I think guys that are good kick returners would be better suited for this type of play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO unless a team has a guy that is a threat to go all the way once he turns the corner it's not going to be that effective.

It's got to be a burner that can run away from people or a guy that has great wiggle and good speed.

Most WR's wouldn't be scary running the play. The reason Austin was killing teams was that he was shifting LB's and the DB assigned to him couldn't keep up.

I disagree Les. The jet motion allows a ball carrier to threaten the edge at full speed. That gives an advantage to any skill position player and is effective in reducing the defense's ability to crash down on the edge as well.

It is more effective with a high talent skill position player, but then all other concepts are as well.

When Tavon was still running that motion for us there were a lot of posters that felt only he would be effective doing it. Then we saw that wasn't true after Tavon was dealt. Even a guy like Everett is a threat to defenses on that motion, and if defenses don't honor it they're setting themselves up to give up easy yards defensively which is not what you want to do.

Ram65

Legend

I stated earlier that I think it has been less effective of late. On one play against the Hags they designed would to run inside against a certain front with good results. Woods also has cut a couple other inside IIRC like the stretch zone runs with success. Teams could be maintaining their edges a little better against the Rams. Could also be no Cooper Kupp who is a great blocker on the outside. It's been a nice run play that had gotten 5-10 yards a pop. They don't need to pop big run just good positive yards.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Are the Rams jet sweeps been losing their effectiveness over past few weeks? Another thing to look at.

They still keep defenses having to watch/cover the entire field. Interesting how McVay uses all the WRs and I think Everett at times on these plays.

The most effective part of it is that the defense has to account for it. As soon as a WR starts sprinting toward the QB, the far edge becomes a key for the run d. Some have gone for first downs or positive yards, but no D can be in every place at once. Makes it easy for TG to cut back behind the "picket fence" set up when the OL slants in the direction of the jet sweep.

It also makes the LBs move east/west instead of creating pressure or even getting into coverage so it also functions as a form of play-action.

Not ever team can run it and part of why it works for us is that we do run and commit to running it. One defender staying home can mean a jet sweep goes for 20-30 yards or more.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The jet motion allows a ball carrier to threaten the edge at full speed.

But if they can't cut upfield and make people miss it doesn't go far.

When Tavon was still running that motion for us there were a lot of posters that felt only he would be effective doing it. Then we saw that wasn't true after Tavon was dealt.

Austin used to move two defenders almost every time he ran it and some of the plays that came off of it were big gains. The Dallas win last year was specifically from him moving two guys over and up closer opening a perfect lane for Gurley to get open and Goff to drop the ball in his hands.

I've watched that play a handful of times and I am certain the McVay said, out loud or at least in his head "HA gotcha muthufuckus".

EDIT:
I've posted with you for many, many years. You still don't know shit about football hahaha

:neener:

I love the back and forth and the smarts you bring. Always, always good conversation.

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
This chart also doesn't show how many fake jet sweeps we do, which is a TON