Eye on the enemy; a look at the Rams from Cowboy country

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...cowboys-be-worried-about-the-los-angeles-rams

Eye on the enemy: Should the Dallas Cowboys be worried about the Los Angeles Rams?

If the Dallas Cowboys are going to improve upon their playoff performance last year, they’re going to have to come up big against some tough opponents. In this final installment of our Eye on the Enemy series, we take a look at one of the opponents standing in their way, who just so happens to be the team that knocked them out of the playoffs last year - the Los Angeles Rams.

With one of the game’s brightest offensive minds currently in the league, the effervescent Sean McVay has rescued this Rams team from the pit of misery and turned them into one of the best teams in the league. McVay’s presence immediately propelled his team into postseason action after a 12-year playoff drought. A drought that included 10-straight losing seasons, resulting in the selection of five players that were either first- or second-overall picks in the entire draft. It was bad. Really bad.

One of the benefits of being terrible for so long is that McVay inherited some blue-chip talent. Players like Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, and Jared Goff were already on the team when he showed up. McVay is a guy that knows how to get the most out of his tools, and let’s face it - the Rams have compiled some nice tools over the years.

Why they can be dangerous
The Rams offense is loaded with talent and after leading the entire league in scoring in 2017, they put together another 30+ average points scored season just to remind people they’re the real deal. Considering the previous 10 seasons their offensive finished outside the top 20, including dead last three different times, that’s quite the improvement. You have to go all the way back to 2006 when Scott Linehan was their head coach to find a Rams offense that finished in the top 10.

The Rams rack up the yards both on the ground and through the air. The team has completely remodeled their wide receiver corps over the last couple years by trading for a former first-rounder (Brandin Cooks), signing a veteran free agent (Robert Woods), and finding a gem of a receiver in the third round (Cooper Kupp). Their organization did a great job using all facets of players acquisition to bolster this group, and if something like that sounds familiar...it should.

View: https://twitter.com/DannyPhantom24/status/1151881668506148864?s=20

The Woods signing was such an under the radar move, At the time, it seemed like they overpaid for him after giving him a five-year, $34 million deal a couple years ago. After all, he never reached 700 yards in any of his four seasons with the Buffalo Bills. But in just two seasons with the Ram’s he’s put together 2,000 yards receiving, including a nice 1,200+ effort last year.

And if the duo of Cooks and Woods isn’t enough, the team has another dangerous weapon in Cooper Kupp. He was on pace for a 1,000 yard, 12 touchdown season before an injury sidelined him for the rest of the year.

Despite a great corps of receivers, the bread and butter of the Rams offense last year was on the ground. Led by two-time All-Pro Todd Gurley, the Rams featured the third-best ground attack in the league last season. Gurley is just shy of 4,000 total scrimmage yards over the last two seasons and has 40 total touchdowns in that span. Unfortunately, a knee injury has put his status in jeopardy forcing the team to spend a premium draft resource in April to select a running back (Darrell Henderson).

With one of the games best running backs and an electric receiving group this offense should be primed for another big year. Of course, a lot also depends on the play of their quarterback. Through the first 11 games of the season last year, Jared Goff showed why he was the no. 1 overall pick back in 2016. During that span, he threw 26 touchdowns and just six interceptions. He did struggle a bit down the stretch, including just one touchdown in three games in the playoffs, but the team still found ways to win games. If Goff continues to improve like he did last season, this Rams offense is going to be very dangerous.

What’s holding this team back?
The Rams are a little strapped for cash and free agent losses like Ndamekong Suh and Lamarcus Joyner aren’t going to go unnoticed. And the uncertainty of Gurley definitely brings about some concern for Rams fans.

But one of the biggest reasons this team could falter may be in the changes along their offensive line. The Rams lost two good players in the interior, including Rodger Saffold who signed a four-year, $44 million deal with the Tennessee Titans in March. The team will now rely on two youngsters in Joseph Noteboom and Brian Allen to fill in, neither of which have any NFL starts under their belt. They also have a left tackle who’s 37 years old. The Rams had one of the healthiest offensive lines last year, but if they don’t repeat that same good fortune, things could get messy for them. And with a young quarterback who lacks mobility and is still working on his pocket poise, that’s not going to be the best of news for the Rams’ offense.

And despite having the best defensive player in the league in Aaron Donald, the Rams defense can’t seem to gain any real traction. They have some decent pieces on defense, but they also have a whole lot of mediocrity. Opponents should be able to put points up on this defense.

Should we be worried about them in 2019?
They’re the reigning NFC Champs with a great core of players and a great head coach, so it goes without saying that we should be worried about them this season. With a middling defense and an offense that lives and dies by the strength of their offensive line, there are certainly some cracks that have the potential of crumbling a bit. But while last year’s dominance in the trenches might be in question due to Gurley’s knee and attrition along the offensive line, the Rams have too many good players to not be one of the perennial threats in the league.

Should we be worried about them for the future?
The Rams are an interesting case. You’d think with a brilliant young coach and all the abracadabra the front office has done recently, that they’d be set for years to come. On one hand, they’ve done a pretty good job exchanging cheap draft capital for some high upside players. Yet on the other hand, all these transactions have an expiration date.

Players like Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, and Dante Fowler have all been acquired for Day 3 draft picks. This has been an effective way to fill holes for their defense, but these are short-term solutions. All three of these players will be free agents next offseason. And last year with the $14 million rental of Suh, the Rams front office positioned themselves for a deep playoff run and it worked. This year, they’ve bought themselves two-years worth of former All-Pro veterans Clay Matthews and Eric Weddle. Both players are solid adds to the Rams defense, but they are nearing their mid-30’s.

The plug and play method works for present, but how sustainable is this? None of the Rams draft picks from a year ago earned their way into a starting role last season. That’s not encouraging.

Of course, the biggest thing Rams fans are worried about is the condition of their All-Pro running back. If Gurley’s knee continues to be a problem, that one will be hard to come out of because the team has made quite the financial commitment to him. If their young offensive linemen who will be thrown to the wolves this season don’t pan out, the Rams will feel the effects. And if those structures start to show weakness, everything will fall on the arm of their young quarterback.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

A nice article but it suffers towards the end because he doesn't know the team. As such he doesn't know there is a plan in place. Whereas we see the defense improving outsiders see it deteriorating. I can't blame them because I couldn't give any insight to any other team in the league. But then it's not my job. I wish some of these guys would look a little deeper below the surface.

fearsomefour

Legend

A nice article but it suffers towards the end because he doesn't know the team. As such he doesn't know there is a plan in place. Whereas we see the defense improving outsiders see it deteriorating. I can't blame them because I couldn't give any insight to any other team in the league. But then it's not my job. I wish some of these guys would look a little deeper below the surface.

It’s true what you’re saying.
Look at the DL.
All anyone would see really would be the Rams lost a big name in Suh. Replaced him with.....
It is just the normal “what if” scenario.
If Day and Gaines step up and play well and Franklin-Myers takes the best step the Rams DL is much better than last year.
Having 6 guys who can contribute in a legit way and having a true rotation at DL should be a benefit.
If they don’t step up then Brockers and Donald will be taking 95% of snaps and the run D will suffer again.
With Franklin-Myers, Gaines, Day, Fox the Rams have some young players who hopefully can contribute and rotate. Could end up with a ton of depth. I like that the coaches are attempting to develop young players and giving them a chance as opposed to just throwing FA money at an older vet DL post Suh.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Look at the DL.
All anyone would see really would be the Rams lost a big name in Suh. Replaced him with.....
If Day and Gaines step up and play well and Franklin-Myers takes the best step the Rams DL is much better than last year.
Having 6 guys who can contribute in a legit way and having a true rotation at DL should be a benefit.
If they don’t step up then Brockers and Donald will be taking 95% of snaps and the run D will suffer again.
With Franklin-Myers, Gaines, Day, Fox the Rams have some young players who hopefully can contribute and rotate. Could end up with a ton of depth. I like that the coaches are attempting to develop young players and giving them a chance as opposed to just throwing FA money at an older vet DL post Suh.
And don't forget Westbrooks. He has a lot of playing time built up now. The only thing we are light on is the "hog molley" besides Gaines. Our DL is designed to play the run on the way to the QB .... and that at times leads to guys losing gaps and when we get gashed. But we are not light on DL #'s. We have plenty.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
D line im not worried about. O line, yes. Age at our secondary positions? Not worried, we have talent behind them that is learning from the best. Its funny when i hear people talk about the age of some stars on a team in a negative light. Belicheck has taken plenty of stars on the back end of their career and made no drop off after they left.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Is this Jason Garrett's last year? Who knows? I once thought Tom Coughlin was in trouble with the New York Football Giants and then they went on to win the Super Bowl that year....Anyway, I believe the NFC East has two teams that should battle in the Cowboys & Eagles and two other teams that will struggle in New York & Washington.

An area that some teams are forgetting are special teams, the Bears lost a playoff game because of a kicker that you cannot count on and IMO, not a big fan of Brett Maher....And unlike Ram WR's Amari Cooper can become invisible at times and I do believe Jason Witten should have stayed retired although he was not very good in the booth.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
None of their picks from 2018 became starters? Considering where we picked from, three starters and two (potential) situational pass rushers is one hell of a crop for year 2

Noteboom
Allen
Kiser
F-Myers
Obo

I will take that and all on small contracts. I haven’t even mentioned one or two others who might become decent back ups

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The loss of Saffold will be signifigant. Not only will Noteboom not be as good, I fear the loss will expose Whitworth's age. Having Saffold next to him hid Whitworths flaws because Saffold was so good. Starting 2 rookies on an OL never turns out very good.

I hope McVay has plan for Goff to either roll out or just get the ball out quick because this OL is not going to be as good as last year without Saffold.

Flint

Pro Bowler
None of their picks from 2018 became starters? Considering where we picked from, three starters and two (potential) situational pass rushers is one hell of a crop for year 2

Noteboom
Allen
Kiser
F-Myers
Obo

I will take that and all on small contracts. I haven’t even mentioned one or two others who might become decent back ups

None of the ‘17 picks started last year, that’s a good thing. The rams have had plenty of years where a bunch of draft picks were starting the following year and that’s not ideal. Teams that are consistently good like Pats and Steelers rarely have starting spots available for rookies to take, but anyone who’s paying attention sees quite a few 2nd year guys ready to start this year in LA. Which is exactly what you hope for, guys who are too old(Sully) or too expensive (Safold) are replaced with guys who have been groomed to step in. And as far as Matthews and Weddle, it looks like this is becoming a trend, a veteran guy discarded by his team, comes in and shows he’s not done while mentoring the young guys.

Ram65

Legend
Players like Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, and Dante Fowler have all been acquired for Day 3 draft picks. This has been an effective way to fill holes for their defense, but these are short-term solutions. All three of these players will be free agents next offseason. And last year with the $14 million rental of Suh, the Rams front office positioned themselves for a deep playoff run and it worked. This year, they’ve bought themselves two-years worth of former All-Pro veterans Clay Matthews and Eric Weddle. Both players are solid adds to the Rams defense, but they are nearing their mid-30’s.

The plug and play method works for present, but how sustainable is this? None of the Rams draft picks from a year ago earned their way into a starting role last season. That’s not encouraging.

Look at the DL.

Noteboom
Allen
Kiser
F-Myers
Obo

Noteboom
Allen
Kiser
F-Myers
Obo

None of the ‘17 picks started last year, that’s a good thing. The rams have had plenty of years where a bunch of draft picks were starting the following year and that’s not ideal. Teams that are consistently good like Pats and Steelers rarely have starting spots available for rookies to take, but anyone who’s paying attention sees quite a few 2nd year guys ready to start this year in LA. Which is exactly what you hope for, guys who are too old(Sully) or too expensive (Safold) are replaced with guys who have been groomed to step in. And as far as Matthews and Weddle, it looks like this is becoming a trend, a veteran guy discarded by his team, comes in and shows he’s not done while mentoring the young guys.

Funny to see that we all noticed the same thing. A decent article but, as mentioned they didn't see the plan. The 2018 Rams draft class could go down as one of their best ever considering where they picked.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Overall not a bad take from outside the Ramdom box, with the exception of this...

Plug and play works when the system works. When you have quality coaching, scouting, a competent front office and a franchise QB you have a system in place. Plug and play doesn't work when a team hasn't established those things.

The other point made about last years draft picks not earning their way into starters roles....come on dude THINK. This has been a completely loaded roster pretty much from top to bottom for two years now. Longer than that if you look at the defensive personnel. Saffold and Sullivan are gone and where are their replacements coming from? Two guys drafted a year ago.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Several issues overlooked consistently when discussing the Rams and they are:

Kupps value
Weddle is a solid upgrade
Sully was good with the calls bad with his play
The 2 most important things usually never discussed the strength of our STs and our overall depth behind our starters.

The depth all around is better at QB, RB, CB, DL, OL, WR outside of TE and LB I would say our depth is stellar. Most teams have little depth.

Everyone forgets when analyzing the Rams you need to compare them to the rest of the league in terms of the overall and I would venture to say we have the best STs, RBs, WRs, Secondary and best player. We are on a third year with Goff and the coaches all have had time to gel as well.

We are a solid chance to go back to the Superbowl we are looking at NO, Philly, Dal, and Chi or Minn from the north except all those teams are going to beat up on each other so who knows there.

TexasRam

Legend
The Good ole Dallas media. Every last one of them here in Dallas were absolutely sure the Cowboys would go into LA and beat the Rams in the playoffs.

I remember it clear as day, The Dallas defense would shut down the Rams and we could not stop Zeke. I heard every last one of them on the radio predict this at the end of the week when they all had time to analyze the Rams and provide us their informed prediction.

It all made so much sense, until of course the Rams ran for a new franchise rushing record of 273 yards down the throat of the unbreakable Dallas defense.

When of course the Rams made franchise history having 2 RB's run for over 100 yards each for the first time ever in the playoffs.

When of course the Rams made franchise history recording 30 first downs.

When of course the Rams held Zeke to just 47 yards rushing on 20 carries and the Cowboys to 50 yards rushing total which was their lowest total of the season.

But yea, back to the Cowboys Media prognosticating...

fearsomefour

Legend
And don't forget Westbrooks. He has a lot of playing time built up now. The only thing we are light on is the "hog molley" besides Gaines. Our DL is designed to play the run on the way to the QB .... and that at times leads to guys losing gaps and when we get gashed. But we are not light on DL #'s. We have plenty.
I didn’t think Westbrook’s was resigned.
I though he was a FA after last year.
I may be totally wrong with both points however.

oldnotdead

Legend
Saffold wasn't as solid as people like to think. He had his share of warts covered by his team mates. Why do you think they simply let him walk? Case in point. Remember all the trouble Whit had in (I believe its) the KC game? It's because Saffold kept hanging him out to dry with repeated issues with his play.

That said what makes eveyone think Noteboom won't be solid? Saffold forte was his run blocking but he was vulnerable at times in his pass blocking, particularly late blitzes and stunts. I think Noteboom will probably at the very least be as good but probably better in his pass blocking. It was his run blocking that needed work and much of that was technique related as a rookie. He's had a full year to work on it.

Allen should be an upgrade to Sullivan. There is a reason Sullivan is still unsigned. His play last year really fell off.

Also another guy who didn't do his homework. Both Allen and Noteboom played a significant number of snaps last year and Noteboom was stellar. So when they categorically state neither has no game experience that is simply untrue. If he can't get that right what else is he simply assuming?

Also as pointed out there is a succession plan for Whit. Noteboom who played stellar snaps with 64 snaps as a starter at LT last year will take over. It's probable that Evans was drafted as the LG of the future to follow on after Noteboom. Edwards probably is their swing tackle of the future and possible RT in 2023.

He's assuming that Fowler won't be extended as most pundits seem to think. But they don't say where that money would have come from. Fowler probably could have gotten more else where but he didn't even try. He knows he will get his payday. On the opposite side JFM played well last year outplaying Brockers and playing almost all passing downs. Also there was no mention of Ebukam who quietly has become a very good OLB, setting a hard edge and improving in coverage, not to mention being a force as a pass rusher.

David Long and Taylor Rapp are solid rookies who will spend this year being mentored by some of the top veterans at their positions in Talib and Weddle.

But bottom line, and most importantly, Jason Garrett is no Sean McVay. Garrett was 10-6 last year and 9-7 the year before. Compared to 13-3 and 11-5 the year before for McVay. The Rams have improved each year....and they kicked Dallas' ass last year. The game wasn't even as close as the score implies. The Rams had it essentially won by half time.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
The Rams defense was more middle of the pack last year but played like a top unit in the playoffs. I actually think if healthy this Rams defense can be top 5 and will help carry the team in 2019 as the offense drops down few notches.