Extending Long's Carreer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
It's uninimous that Jake Long's health is a big question mark going forward. I've seen him get rolled up by his own teamate, friendly fire, a few occasions this year. So I'm just gonna lay this out there. When he returns let him start out at OG. With his run blocking he'd be a beast and would excel in a way Saffold has at the position. So who plays LT, right? I fully anticipate we draft a LT high, probably Matthews but IDK, so we could let him start there from day 1. It is a scary thought but throwing Long out there immediately is like waiting for Saffold to leave the game early, except worse. As long as we run the ball well the pass rush shouldn't be heavy like the first several games of the year. So anticipating we don't keep Saffold, I really hope we do ( At least tender him for his draft status), our OL would look something like this...

Matthews-Long-Barnes-Jones/Smith/Williams-Barksdale

Not bad at all! Much better with Saffold. Just some food for thought.

Alan

Legend
That's an interesting thought about moving Long to G. I'm not sure if it would work or if we could afford it but even if we don't move him I think we should keep him. It's an interesting thought that has possibilities for sure.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's an interesting thought about moving Long to G. I'm not sure if it would work or if we could afford it but even if we don't move him I think we should keep him. It's an interesting thought that has possibilities for sure.

I just want his shelf life to be longer and it worked well for Saffold.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis added:
I just want his shelf life to be longer and it worked well for Saffold.
It worked well for Safford because he wasn't that great at tackle. It's the position he should always have played. I'm not say that Saffold's play at tackly isn't acceptable, it's at that level where it's OK but you are always looking for an upgrade.

Long on the other hand, was a great tackle and is now still a very good one. If he can get back to where he was before the injury, I want him playing LT while we train an eventual replacement. If he doesn't or the new guy surpasses him then a change to guard would probably be great for him and us. Especially in that he would probably be more comfortable at a position we need to upgrade which is LG. I'm only saying that because you would think that having played on the left side all these years that staying there, with less responsibilities, could be awesome. If he played as well at LG as Saffold is playing at RG that would make our running game a thing of beauty.

Maybe.

Anyway, that's why I thought your idea was interesting. But on the other hand, when you're saying that he's not playing well enough at LT then where are his skills at now? Are they just slightly worse or a lot worse? If they are a lot worse or he simply can't stay healthy then do we even want him at guard?

So lots of thing to think about for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting. I am sure that Jake Long & his 6-7 320 pound body would make a good OLG. Jake's strengths are in run blocking not in pass blocking. No telling how much this new reconstructed knee will react to the demands of quick pass set that has failed him in several games this season & in the past with quick speed rushers. That right knee undergoes much stress as he sets up more than the left. I am also sure Jake could put on some extra muscle if he needs too. Jake works hard to keep his OLT body as lean as possible. I really do not think Fisher would move Jake to OG because we need him @ OT not OG. Now there is a good possibility of a post change for Jake ....it would be to RIGHT OT after next season when Barksdale departs for free agency.

RFIP

I don't know, never is a long time and Fisher has NEVER picked ANY OL in round one in his career.

First time for everything I guess but could easily resign Saffold (LT), keep Barksdale @ RT and build the line from there with Jones either @ C or G.

I want Watkins after a short trade down from 1A, he completes the wr position once and for all.

PhxRam

I don't know, never is a long time and Fisher has NEVER picked ANY OL in round one in his career.

First time for everything I guess but could easily resign Saffold (LT), keep Barksdale @ RT and build the line from there with Jones either @ C or G.

I want Watkins after a short trade down from 1A, he completes the wr position once and for all.

I honestly feel Barnes proved himself more than capable at center.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Welcome to a great Ram fan friendly forum here. I sure hope you make yourself right @ home.

On the Fisher "NEVER" on drafting a OL high your right but @ the same time Fisher has never had an often injured (possible franchise QB if he can be kept upright) like Sam Bradford either. His & Sneads jobs are firmly attached to Sam Bradford's future IMO. Sam is a true pocket passer who needs a firm tight comfortable pocket to play in to be effective along with a strong run blocking front OL.

Your desires to see a top WR selected in this yrs draft would just about fall into the majority here @ ROD'ville. Fisher has used these rare priceless valued draft picks on many WR's (very high first rd./highest 2nd rd./3rd rd/4th rd.) & can only show one third day pick OL. However I am not in this draft WR #1 cadre.

I am of the opinion it would not be wise to invest & inject so much more of the priceless team value in this one roster unit, while other units like the OL & secondary units are in need of an infusion of talented draftees investments. I prefer a CB & OT with the first round picks myself.

Fisher instead, has went by design with FOUR UFA high cap cost signings....2 starters of which will end up on the IR both having rehabbing events & both have injury histories now. The other two.... Dahl ended up on the IR last yr & hurt again this yr too & Williams have NOT been overly effective & in need of replacement. Dahl has been replaced the last 3 Sundays by dressing Smith & Jones. Also I bare in mind that OT Barksdale next yr will be like Saffold is very soon to be...UFA's. very hard to build & maintain a 5 player OL unit with one investment like Barrett Jones. Rams WR unit has basically remained injury free only TA has missed action the last 2 wks...compared that to the OL where four of its starters have been lost to injury.

Fisher is no dummy either if he goes WR once again with the top pick & then Bradford spends most of his 2014 season injured or being molested each & every down ...his Job as the Ram HC for three seasons will be over & end in failure.

RFIP

I can certainly see your point of view and it is shared by others. As for Sam I would agree with you that he is a pocket passer but I would add he throws very well on the run or on roll outs. That said, he certainly needs a #1 wr, one he can trust. Watkins is such a guy. He puts all the other wr's in their place.

Watkins gets Givens off the #1 cb of the opposition which he can't beat ever. In fact I predict you will see the starting 3 wr sets next year will be Watkins & Bailey outside with Austin in the slot.

I drool at the possibility of that wr set.

As previously stated, I'd resign Saffold and pair him with Barksdale at OT while Long starts on the PUP. IMO resigning Saffold takes the Rams out of the first round OT market.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As for Sam I would agree with you that he is a pocket passer but I would add he throws very well on the run or on roll outs.
Welcome to the board RFIP. ~ I agree and Sam's athleticism,accuracy and decision making outside of the pocket is underrated.

IMO resigning Saffold takes the Rams out of the first round OT market.
I think so too.