Expect Fierce Competition for Playing Time Between Rams Corners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/10/rams-cb-trumaine-johnson-expects-health-team-success-2015/
How does a player top a season in which he led his team in interceptions and picked off one of the greatest quarterbacks to play the game? Ask Trumaine Johnson.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-10-at-12.26.18-PM.png

Trumaine Johnson – Photo: St. Louis Rams

The Rams cornerback looks to build on the success he had in 2014, during an injury-shortened campaign. Despite playing in only nine games, Johnson led the Rams with three interceptions, including two picks against the Oakland Raiders in the Week 13 blowout at the Edward Jones Dome.

Johnson also picked off Payton Manning Week 11, sealing the improbable 22-7 victory over the heavily favored Denver Broncos.

At 6’2″ and 208 pounds, Johnson has the skill and size set to be a top tier corner in the NFL.

Of course, health plays a significant role realizing full potential.

Johnson said he spent the bulk of the off season in St. Louis, not to rehab, but because he likes the city.

As Training Camp continues, Johnson has put the MCL strain from a year ago in the rear view mirror, preferring to focus on the upcoming season.

“Man, I’m feeling great. I’m feeling blessed. I’m ready to go. The season’s around the corner, and Training Camp is just another step to get ready for it.” Johnson said.

Pressed for an answer for his goal at the scrimmage and throughout training camp, Johnson mentioned working on his technique.

“Just staying consistent, working on my technique. I feel like my technique can get better every day. It’s coming out here, competing with the guys and having fun.” Johnson said.

Johnson faces stiff competition for playing time at outside corner.

Janoris Jenkins is also in his fourth year in the League, and is reportedly in extension talks with the team. Jenkins will man an outside corner spot, while the other outside spot will come down to Johnson or E.J. Gaines.

Gaines, in his second year out of Mizzou, played in the absence of Johnson last season, as Johnson recovered from a strained MCL the first seven games of the season.

Gaines played well, starting all 15 games in which he participated. Johnson eased his way into the lineup, giving his knee the proper amount of healing time.

However, Gaines recently went down during a drill in Training Camp at Rams Park, and the status of his injured foot is unknown.

Given the seriousness of the competition for playing time, Johnson keeps a team-first mentality when asked if the injury to Gaines puts more pressure on him personally.

“First off, it’s not even about that. Second off, I’m praying for a speedy recovery for my man. It’s a day-by-day and we’re hoping for the best for him.” Johnson said.

Johnson says he has no personal goals for the impending season. Even though he’s entering his fourth year in the League, and the final year of his rookie contract, the team is once again his focus.

“It’s nothing about me, I’m all about team. I want to go to the playoffs so bad, and win some games in the playoffs, too.” Johnson said. “Not just go there, but win some games and make that run. I feel like we’re good right now, but I feel like we could be great. If everybody holds themselves accountable, and do their job, the sky’s the limit for us.” Johnson said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Dude says all the right things, that's for sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn Tru....No hint of ego here...I guess he never heard Prime Time talk about himself....Or never listens to Richard Sherman...

I always like Tru....because of...you guessed it, measureables....I like big corners...I also like corners that can run...However his play in the latter half of last season was terrible....If that's how Tru really plays, time to move on....He looked unable to play press man-to-man coverage...Odell Beckham beat him consistently....I think Seattle used him too the following week.