Expect a Big Day for Rivers & Gordon

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our defense seems to be more a back up defense, more and more every week in preseason. If we see essentially this same personnel grouping in the regular season, a disaster has struck the team. This 2nd team defense is going against Phillip Rivers, a borderline Hall of Famer that is coming to this game with a game plan. DMarco Farr said it well when discussing how the Dline should be composed if Donald is gone week one in the regular season. He said that Brockers should be moved from nose tackle to 3-tech, because he is the best remaining lineman and shouldn't be the guy just tying up the Olinemen...Let some other guy do that, unitl AD returns..Now, we don't have Donald or Brockers, so I expect a big game by Gordon (sadly) gashing us up the gut. WHICH of course opens us up for a big day against our improved secondary...In addition, Ogletree is out. I'm just hoping to see a calm Jared Goff stepping into the pocket and making good decisions without his reliable go-to guy in Cooper Kupp...

I'm hoping to see Goff/Gurley rack up the points, in keeping up with the Chargers offense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I brought up this thread to temper the "we're doomed on defense" narrative that will probably result.

FRO

Legend
I could care less in the result, but it frustrates me that the starters aren't getting reps. I know defenses normally play pretty basic in preseason, but the starters need to be out there.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could care less in the result, but it frustrates me that the starters aren't getting reps. I know defenses normally play pretty basic in preseason, but the starters need to be out there.

I know...I was just saying before the game that is defense isn't "us." These are the guys that get plugged in for a missing/injured player, whose mistakes might be less if they were surrounded by starters (normal case) but are now surrounded by those who are no better...disaster.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the what they are trying to prove tonight. No defensive starters and after Goff looks like crap they leave him in there with the 2nd string O-line . Plus it's a prime time game against the team you share a stadium with .
Totally confused

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand the what they are trying to prove tonight. No defensive starters and after Goff looks like crap they leave him in there with the 2nd string O-line . Plus it's a prime time game against the team you share a stadium with .
Totally confused

I am concerned with a couple things that I saw in Goff today...there will be bad days for anyone in that position. A bad day for most QB's in the NFL is at least an awareness that pressure is coming from the right side and Goff doesn't see it. QB's normally see the hit coming and they protect the ball....Not our boy Goff. He looks like us if we were put in the game getting hit by a 300 lb man, and coughs up the ball....He's rattled and in the next series throws up a duck and an INT.

I don't feel too confident about him right now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am concerned with a couple things that I saw in Goff today...there will be bad days for anyone in that position. A bad day for most QB's in the NFL is at least an awareness that pressure is coming from the right side and Goff doesn't see it. QB's normally see the hit coming and they protect the ball....Not our boy Goff. He looks like us if we were put in the game getting hit by a 300 lb man, and coughs up the ball....He's rattled and in the next series throws up a duck and an INT.

I don't feel too confident about him right now.

Can we not turn this into a Goff discussion, seeing as how it's a Rivers/Chargers offense thread? I suspect we're going to see a bazillion Goff threads after that outing.

Anyway to the OP's point yes the defense looked overwhelmed early on. They lost on the LOS. They lost at LB getting engulfed by blockers. They lost in coverage. They lost in coverage support deep. Just a $#!t show tbh.

Hopefully by the first few weeks of the season they'll look smart for having rested so many key guys. But it sucks to see the defense come out and get rolled over like that.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We had three starters on defense Joiner Alexander and Trumaine Johnson.

Second string d-line for the Rams second string linebackers for the Rams.

The result was not surprising.

What was surprising was Pharoh Cooper and Josh Reynolds. :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I guess you called it....

How long did Rivers play??? I thought Gordon didn't do too much....

I like the backups playing...how do we know who to cut? Guys that can play against the ones, without Tree, Barron, Barwin, Quinn, Brockers and other "proven" players holding their hands.

finally got to see Longacre...Fox...Smart...LTP....Westbrooks (well, not really him) Purcell, and all those LB's....but see those guys play by themselves...