(excerpts from) Sando Chat

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

Mike Sando: NFC West blog | Chat | NFL index

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/ ... mike-sando

I enjoyed your observations at Rams camp. I would like to know what, if there was anything, that you liked out of our O-line and if you saw Turner(C/G) making line calls; also your assessment on that. ThankU.!

Mike Sando
Thanks. Robert Turner did work at center. That will continue while Scott Wells gets all the way back from knee surgery. I do not know to what extent Turner was handling calls, or to what extent they needed calls at this stage of practice. Whoever plays center will make the calls, I believe. The Rams were not in full pads yet, so it was tough to say how the interior offensive linemen were faring. The tackles had their hands full with the defensive ends, but they were not totally overwhelmed.

Ryan (Dallas)
I understand Steven Jackson gets overlooked because he isn't part of a winning program but how can so many "experts" talk about who they think the best RB's in the game are and his name almost never gets mentioned? If he was on the Packers or Dallas or the Giants he would be considered the runaway best RB in the league. Do you agree with this?

Mike Sando
Yes! I respect no back more than I respect Steven Jackson. He is the total package in terms of being a team player, being tough, being consistent, being productive. I respect so much how hard he works. Reporting at 235 pounds and 5.1 percent body fat doesn't happen by accident.

Brian (Seattle)
Mike, Do you think Marshawn Lynch will be suspended for his DUI?

Mike Sando
I'm thinking there's an outside chance of that. His case is ongoing and there were not any aggravating circumstances as far as we know, so that would generally lead to a fine of two game checks (out of 17 total checks, including one for the bye). There's a chance his violation of the personal conduct policy three years ago could lead the NFL to up the punishment for the DUI. I wonder, though, if we'll have any sort of resolution before the season.

Tom (Renton)
Which offensive line do you see as most improved from last year? Seems like each team had their own struggles over the course of last season.

Mike Sando
Seattle was already much improved late last season compared to early in the season. That should continue if Russell Okung is healthy, which he is. I'm not sold on Arizona's moves improving its line in the immediate term. Bobby Massie's development at right tackle could change that. The Rams will be much improved from the injury-depleted line that finished last season. They'll run a lower-risk offense and that will make the linemen look a little better, or at least less vulnerable. The 49ers should improve gradually. They have to be better at right guard, it seems.

Dan (St. Louis)
If somebody told you that one of the Rams 2012 draft picks was going to be a superstar in this league, who would you pin that label on if you were forced to make that choice today? In other words, who really showed you something that maybe you didn't expect?

Mike Sando
Janoris Jenkins all the way. Looks like a special talent. Isaiah Pead and Michael Brockers look good too, but Jenkins was the one people were talking about.

Ken (Anaheim)
Mike, about our WR in Rams camp, has Quick looked good and what about Givens.

Mike Sando
Quick looked like a promising rookie. Good one play, not so good the next play. Good to start one play, then not finishing the play. Givens showed a couple flashes. I'm skeptical on receivers early in camp because I've seen young ones look good early, then disappear during preseason games.

Ryan (So Cal)
Mike, awesome article about Rams Camp. I think you hit the nail on the head with the OLB situation and it really being a minute issue. The position is so undervalued; as long as you have a solid player there you can be pretty OK. My issue is at LG. You talked about how the players are saying "if we protect this guy, he'll take us places" but I'm extremely worried that much of the pressure Sam sees is going to come from a "so-so" left side of the line. I understand it's hard right now who might be the starter there, but is there any small indication who the favorite is at the LG spot? Tthanks.

Mike Sando
Thanks, Ryan. Quinn Ojinnaka is the favorite right now. He's played multiple positions in the NFL and is the most game ready of the candidates to fill that role. Rookie Rokevious Watkins reported out of shape and hasn't shown anything yet. I see left guard and right tackle as the most concerning positions on the line. If they have to go young at left guard, at least they'll have a seasoned vet at center to help out. Scott Wells will be ready for the season.

Alex (Connecticut)
Who is the best QB in the division?

Mike SandoAlex Smith, until Sam Bradford proves otherwise, which he will as soon as the Rams give him a little more help (could be this season, not sure).

EDTGO (Iron Throne)
Alex Smith is the best QB in the NFCW, until Bradford gets protection? But but, did you not see Flynn vs the Lions and the other game?

Mike Sando
Sam Bradford is the most talented quarterback in the division. Sure, you put Flynn with the 49ers' team from last season and I'll be he'd get good results. I think the 49ers would be better with Bradford at quarterback. Just think he's different from a talent standpoint. Has all the intangibles. Can flat-out throw the ball too.

Joker (SD)
Mike what is the general opinion in the media group of Harbaugh? The man has come out and ripped into you guys a few times now and I cant help but feel that should leave some damage even among the thick skinned media folk.

Mike Sando
I suspect the guys covering the 49ers think Harbaugh is criticizing all the other reporters. Media guys care about access mostly. Harbaugh limits access. He gets a little snippy sometimes if someone asks about injuries or something else he doesn't want to talk about. Those things make covering the team tougher, but I think most of the guys covering the 49ers enjoy covering Harbaugh overall. I find Harbaugh interesting to speak with once you realize he's a little quirky. Sometimes you're talking to him and not sure if he's there.

Keith H (Seattle)
Over at SI, Jim Trotter made the observation that with the emphasis on the running game, the NFC West will be the most physical division in the NFL. What are your thoughts?

Mike Sando
Jim is one of the most physical writers out there. I kid. He's a great guy and I always enjoy bumping into him on the road. We both worked at the Tacoma News Tribune, a few years apart and a while back. I think Jim is seeing things accurately there. We saw it late last season. The defenses in San Francisco, Seattle and Arizona were physical. You know Jeff Fisher will have a physical team in St. Louis before long as well. That is his MO.

Jim (St Louis)
Hello Mike, Any chance that Steve Smith returns to old form based on what you are seeing and hearing? 1,000 yards 6 TDs?

Mike Sando
I saw one glimpse the other day. Smith made a fantastic catch and looked great doing it. They are cautiously optimistic. Preseason could be telling.

Patrick (Tacoma, WA)
Mike, some are picking St. Louis already as a dark horse for the NFCW division. Based on what you've seen in camp, do you expect them to overtake at least one team in the division this year??

Mike Sando
There's a decent chance of that happening given that the QB situations elsewhere in the division allow for some volatility. There are no perennial Pro Bowl passers on the other teams. Another team could suffer through a down season easier because of that. Would anyone be shocked if Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson, Russell Wilson or even Alex Smith had a poor season? I believe the Rams' Sam Bradford has the highest so-called ceiling among QBs in the division

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mike Sando said:
Sam Bradford is the most talented quarterback in the division. Sure, you put Flynn with the 49ers' team from last season and I'll be he'd get good results. I think the 49ers would be better with Bradford at quarterback. Just think he's different from a talent standpoint. Has all the intangibles. Can flat-out throw the ball too.
Thassrite.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Mike Sando said:
Thassrite.
Efff yeah, no source or URL needed, it's from me, DR RAM INC.