Eugene Sims Putting Penalties in the Past/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Eugene Sims putting penalties in the past
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12121/eugene-sims-putting-penalties-in-the-past

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- It's highly unlikely that NFL officials have it out for St. Louis Rams defensive end Eugene Sims. But over the past two weeks, it certainly seems that way.

Earlier this week, Rams coach Jeff Fisher made it abundantly clear that he didn't agree with at least four penalties called against the Rams in last week's loss to the Dallas Cowboys. At the center of Fisher's complaint was the defensive holding call on Sims late in the game.

On the play, Sims briefly grabbed Dallas receiver Terrance Williams as he came out of the backfield before leaving Williams to drop quarterback Tony Romo for an apparent sack. The flag soon followed and instead of a big loss and impending third and long, the Cowboys had a first down.

It was a call amongst a handful that Fisher was still fuming about when asked how his team could reduce penalties Wednesday.

“Well, we just get them to call penalties, and not throw flags when there’s no infractions," Fisher said. "That’ll significantly reduce it.”

Another way to reduce it would apparently be for Sims to send some nice gifts to officials all over the league. For whatever reason, he seems to have a knack for being on the wrong end of some costly penalties.

Sometimes, those penalties are his fault, such as the two horse-collar tackles he had against Tampa Bay in Week 2 which earned him a pair of 15-yard penalties.

"I’m probably one of the most hated players by the referees," Sims said. "I don’t know what it is. They made two bad calls. I guess from the Tampa game they saw I had two horse collars so I guess they had an eye out for me so every little thing I did they probably wanted to flag it."

Sims' defensive holding wasn't the only call that he, Fisher and the Rams took umbrage with in the Dallas game. Earlier in that meeting, Sims was called for roughing the passer when the official apparently saw him make contact with Romo's helmet with his hand. Sims clearly hit Romo's shoulder on the play and any contact with the helmet was far from "forcible," which is the standard that must be met for that particular penalty to be called.

"I was just trying to make a play and the position I was in, I was in good position to make the play," Sims said. "I guess the position he was in, he saw other way. But it is what it is.

"I won’t let that take me out of the game. I love the game, I respect it and just keep playing."

This isn't the first time Sims has been on the wrong end of some questionable calls. He was fined for unnecessary roughness last season for a hit he made on New Orleans running back Darren Sproles and again for the same infraction in the season finale against the Seattle Seahawks.

To be sure, Sims might be something of a marked man in part because of his propensity for penalties. He had nine penalties in 2013, seven on defense and two more on special teams, good for a total of 74 yards. Those nine infractions tied for fifth-most in the league with a host of other players.

Despite the flags, Sims has been and remains an integral part of the Rams defense. With Chris Long out because of an ankle injury, the onus falls on Sims to provide production all over the line. It's a work in progress but aside from the penalties, he's offered some solid work so far.

"I feel good," Sims said. "I have got a lot to improve. Got a guy down like Chris Long so that’s on me (to fill in). I look at it as now I have to step up and be there for my team and be accountable."

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
The referees would never admit it but they do look at certain players and flag them more than any other players.Whats frustrating about that is that we seem to have a few of those players on our team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Simm's may move on after the 'No Sack', penalty thing, But I'm not ready to! I want to see crowds at games "Righteously Booing" when Ref's make a bad call, and in such a way the Ref's Know it's not the Player getting Booed it's THEM!! Then maaaybe, just Maaaybe, the League will make some Rule Changes that will allow Players to Play Football the way it's supposed to be played "physically!"