ESPN’s Monday Night Madness

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
ESPN’s Monday Night Madness
From Mike and Mike to Chris Berman, ESPN has given little regard to proven play-by-play skills when it comes to Monday Night Football's late-night opener. The perfect choice for this year's game is right under their noses—informed, professional and proven. It's past time they gave her the assignment
By Richard Deitsch

Promotion and vanity have long been first cousins at ESPN, and one of the annual family outings occurs during the first week of the Monday Night Football schedule. For the past seven years with little exception, ESPN management has assigned broadcasters to the second game of its opening week MNF doubleheader—the so-called “B” game that kicks off at 10 p.m. ET—with little regard for the announcers’ NFL game-calling experience. Obviously, that is the network’s right. When you pay $1.9 billion a year for a television property, as ESPN is currently doing for the rights to MNF, you get a few perks, and one of those perks is picking the announcers.

Some history: Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic, the ESPN Radio morning show personalities, were assigned the game from 2007 to ’10. That was clearly done as a promotional vehicle for the Mike and Mike brand, though both broadcasters prepared and took the assignment seriously. During the Mike and Mike Era of Monday Night Football, NFL analyst Mike Ditka was also brought in as part of a “Three Mikes” promotion. That’s the kind of marketing idea that sounds good at the ESPN cafeteria but loses steam once it crosses the Bristol, Conn. line.

Longtime NFL voice Brad Nessler restored some broadcaster sanity to the game in 2010 and ’11 (with the always-excellent Trent Dilfer) before ESPN management foisted the Late Night with Chris Berman concept despite Berman having never called college or pro football play-by-play.

chris-berman-360.jpg

Despite a lack of football play-by-play experience, ESPN veteran Berman has called the late Monday Night opener each of the past two seasons. (Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

Naturally, that announcement came with all the PR trimmings, including a podcast with Berman conducted by ESPN Pravda. If you want to call Berman’s assignment rewarding a longtime employee for years of NFL service, that’s totally fair, perhaps even heartwarming. If you want to call it a vanity play for an announcer who is as much a part of an NFL apparatus as The Duke football, that would be accurate too.

Because I’m a charitable guy, I’m going to give ESPN an idea that offers the dream tonic of promotion and boldness. Plus, there’s the bonus of having the game called by a professional football announcer:

ESPN should assign Beth Mowins to call the Chargers at Cardinals game (10:20 ET kickoff) on Sept. 8, and pair her with a quality NFL game analyst such as Dilfer or Steve Young.

Whether it’s college football, women’s basketball, softball, volleyball or anything else she’s assigned, Mowins is a no-shtick broadcaster who is always prepared and professional. She began calling college football nine years ago. In 2011 the network wisely promoted her to a full-time slate of college football on ESPN2’s Saturday noon telecast. Every Saturday, she chips away at the antiquated notion that football play-by-play must be delivered by a man. (Note to the inevitable mouth-breathers calling me a sports feminist: Blast away, but make sure you spell it correctly. It’s D-E-I-T-S-C-H.) If you want to compare her reps calling football to Berman’s, it’s the difference between LeBron James and Austin Croshere.

A woman calling the NFL on a regular basis is an idea whose time really should have come long ago. In 1987, Mike Weisman, then the executive producer of NBC Sports and one of the most innovative producers in sports broadcasting history, assigned then-newscaster Gayle Sierens to call the Seahawks-Chiefs game on the final Sunday of the regular season. Weisman offered Sierens six more game opportunities for the following year but she opted to focus on her news career. The headline on this Richard Sandomir profile of Sierens remains unchanged six years later: “First Women To Call NFL Play By Play, and The Last.”

beth-mowins-360.jpg

Mowins has been one of ESPN’s top play-by-play announcers on sports ranging from volleyball and softball to college basketball and college football. (Porter Binks for Sports Illustrated)

Assigning Mowins the late MNF game would follow news that the CBS Sports Network will air a once-a-week, nightly opinion-based sports show with an all-female cast. That’s a smart play for CBS Sports, which needs different concepts (and more viewers). As long as the show avoids First Take buffoonery or pink ghettoizing every sports issue, the effort alone will have meaning. One of the women who will appear on the show is Amy Trask, the former CEO of the Oakland Raiders who now works as an NFL analyst for CBS. I asked Trask how NFL brass would view Mowins doing a one-off or multiple NFL games.

“The league is a business and to the extent it believes it beneficial—economically or from a public perception standpoint—to include a woman on a broadcast team, I believe that it would do so,” Trask said. “I don’t believe that players or coaches would be the slightest bit concerned about this. Stated differently, I believe that players and coaches are concerned with whether someone can get the job done and that it wouldn’t matter to them whether that person was a man or a woman.”

No broadcaster has worked more closely with Mowins than Debbie Antonelli. The two have partnered on more than 1,000 college basketball broadcasts or podcasts since they first began calling ACC games as a pair for Fox Sports South in the early 1990s.

“Beth is aware her margin for error is slim and it serves as motivation for her unique opportunity,” Antonelli said. “She is concerned with what’s in her control: her work ethic, her motivation, and her love for her job. No one dictates those things for Beth. She protects and respects the game she is broadcasting.”

I intentionally did not contact Mowins for this piece. She did not plant this idea for the column, nor did anyone on her behalf. In previous interviews with SI.com, she has said the NFL would be the highest honor for a football broadcaster but did not express calling NFL games as her ultimate broadcasting goal.

Antonelli believes Mowins would accept the assignment immediately if offered.

“As her friend, I would be thrilled for her to challenge herself at the highest level in football,” Antonelli said. “Detractors of having a woman call football say the same clichés—she didn’t play, she doesn’t know the game. Beth didn’t play football but she knows the game, the rules and it would be awesome for her to lead women into a different role in the NFL, a challenge that I’m positive she would navigate and handle.”

ESPN has been the most forward-thinking sports broadcaster when it comes to giving on-air female staffers opportunities, and assigning Mowins would be received with great pride from its employees (as well as women throughout the sports media.). As of now, alas, the late-game MNF assignment has been made:

The network told The MMQB earlier this week that Berman and Dilfer will call the game for a third consecutive year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'd have no problem with listening to a Woman broadcaster, but then again, it's all just kind of background noise to me anyway. I do remember some of her college football stuff, and can't think of a bad thing to say.

PhxRam

Beth Mowins

I used to be friends with her. She worked at a local radio station in my hometown. She was a pretty damn good SS for the softball team that we played on and was a excellent PG when we played pickup hoops. I think she holds/held the Division I or II record for assists.

The woman knows her sports and used to be a blast to hang around with.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I stopped reading when it had "Dilfer" and "excellent" in the same sentence.

Psycho_X

Legend
She can't be worse then almost everyone else that works for ESPN so why not. Her being a woman bugs me zero. If she is good at calling play by play and she doesn't have an annoying voice (never heard her myself) then why not?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I pretty much loathe anything ESPN trots out there and calls an announcer so I'm all for any changes. Man, woman, she-he, crowd noise only, it doesn't matter to me.

Only ESPN announcer worth a damn, IMO, is Dan Shulman.

PhxRam

She can't be worse then almost everyone else that works for ESPN so why not. Her being a woman bugs me zero. If she is good at calling play by play and she doesn't have an annoying voice (never heard her myself) then why not?

I think she does a excellent job even though I am admittedly a touch biased.

MauiRam

Rookie
I'm all for it. I've heard far more than I ever wanted from Berman, and he is a whiner homer to boot .. Bring on Mowins!

PhxRam

I'm all for it. I've heard far more than I ever wanted from Berman, and he is a whiner homer to boot .. Bring on Mowins!

His routine became stale years ago and it is a shame that they cant/wont move on from the guy.

If they are keeping him around because of loyalty, thats cool, he essentially helped create ESPN. Unfortunately, their loyalty to the guy could also be their own demise unless they shake things up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

She would no doubt be better than that Doris Burke lady that does NBA games. If I had a dollar for every annoying cliche she said during a game I'd be owning BSPN myself.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Back in the 80's there was an experiment where they showed a baseball game with no announcers, just total silence. All you could hear was the crack of the bat and the sounds of the players and ump. Maybe they should try that for an NFL game.

PhxRam

Back in the 80's there was an experiment where they showed a baseball game with no announcers, just total silence. All you could hear was the crack of the bat and the sounds of the players and ump. Maybe they should try that for an NFL game.

I dont mind an announcer if he is PART of the game. What I have a hard time with is guys who think they ARE the game.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

For some reason, I think they did. Will check.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That is actually kind of funny coming from a guy who is a fan of a "sport" that is cliche driven. ;)

I don't hear very many cliche's from announcers during games. Maybe it's b/c I tend to tune them out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think she does a excellent job even though I am admittedly a touch biased.
Nothing wrong with that.You give good insite on who she was back in the day.She deserves the chance.The NFL with all these women on the sidelines & women officials .You'd think the sexiest Pigs would give her her do.

Did you see the Jerry Jones Mobil Home with all the Ho's in it.They said Dean Lomadi The head official in the NFL NY booth was in there.Jones was like that's ok.The NFL wants him to meet with teams.
Jerry Jones is a sexiest Pig Suey from Arkansas .Hunk hunk snort snort.