ESPN’s John Clayton: Rams Aced the NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Did the Rams ace the draft? ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton thinks so. He gave them the best grades all the way through, from the 1st round on. He says the Rams D-line is a good as has been assembled in the last 8-10 years.

Listen to Clayton Talks Rams Draft

SierraRam

Recreational User
Clayton looks like my accountant, but the dude knows football. I wasn't completely sold on some of our later picks, but people that know a hell of a lot more than I do seem to be impressed. Nice to hear!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I've never heard him be more gitty about this team. It sounded like he drank a gallon of coffee before the interview.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
John Clayton is one of the smartest football minds in the mainstream media. He really knows his stuff so anytime he has good things to say about your franchise, it's a good thing.

He's been very positive about the team's development over the last two years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sure hope the Rams just don't win the offseason and not the real season.

ED_29

Did the Rams ace the draft? ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton thinks so. He gave them the best grades all the way through, from the 1st round on. He says the Rams D-line is a good as has been assembled in the last 8-10 years.

Listen to Clayton Talks Rams Draft
He says the Rams backup line is better than the Cowboys starting line filled with a bunch of journeymen.... strong comment there and not lost on any of that is the fact that their best pass rusher George Selvie is a Ram castoff lol

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If Clayton says it, it goes. \m/

slayerjohnclayton.jpg

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Clayton kills me I crack up everytime I hear him. Maybe Im the only one that notices but he says "Ya Know" a lot!!! I didnt count but I bet he said it 50 times or more in this interview and its the same every time I hear him.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ESPN’s John Clayton says he thought the St. Louis Rams had the best draft of anyone. He talks to Tony Softli to break down the Rams draft class. Softli says that Robinson’s upside and versatility were the reasons they took him over Matthews. Fisher said Robinson was their guy all the way. Clayton thinks the D-line is incredible. Softli says it looks good but now they have to prove it.

Listen to Clayton Talk Rams Draft with Softli

Rams discussion starts at 12:00

jap

Legend
I don't know about the rest of you veteran Rams forum posters, but the stockpiling of talent over the last three years (2012-2014) is eerily reminiscent of the Vermeil regime's build up of "arms" from 1997-1999. Vermeil's fab coaching set is also very similar to the who's who among assistant coaches under The Fisher King. Lot of great similarities over a time space of 15 years!

What can allow this offense to take off? Get Tavon in space by moving him outside much more. I don't necessarily want him to give up the slot entirely, but keep moving him around to create migraine headaches for these NFL defensive coordinators. Keeping him in the slot makes it much too easy for them to surround him with defenders.

Sam I Am finally has his Battering Ram OL and a legitimate running game to allow him to take full advantage of his play action skills, designed rollouts, and all around accuracy. With Tavon being the ultimate mismatch, players like Chris Givens, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Sted, and AP can do their thing under less pressure. Use the running
game and that monster OL to suck the safeties in close, then send Tavon, Givens, Cookie, and Kenny screaming downfield with favorable 1-on-1 coverages. If the DC's adjust by spreading the pass coverage, we pound the LOS with Zac the Mack & Co.

Actually, one of the highlights of this training camp will be seeing the Battering Ram OL face off against the Battering Ram DL! The Incredible Brock says hello to Greg Robinson; The Mighty One renews his acquaintance with Big Bad Jake Long; Beetlejuice lets rookie Aaron Donald know firsthand how life really is like in the pro pits. There's gonna be thunder down in them thar pits!!! These
match ups can only help to make both units even better. Then we can turn them loose against the rest of the NFL.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I don't know about the rest of you veteran Rams forum posters, but the stockpiling of talent over the last three years (2012-2014) is eerily reminiscent of the Vermeil regime's build up of "arms" from 1997-1999. Vermeil's fab coaching set is also very similar to the who's who among assistant coaches under The Fisher King. Lot of great similarities over a time space of 15 years!

What can allow this offense to take off? Get Tavon in space by moving him outside much more. I don't necessarily want him to give up the slot entirely, but keep moving him around to create migraine headaches for these NFL defensive coordinators. Keeping him in the slot makes it much too easy for them to surround him with defenders.

Sam I Am finally has his Battering Ram OL and a legitimate running game to allow him to take full advantage of his play action skills, designed rollouts, and all around accuracy. With Tavon being the ultimate mismatch, players like Chris Givens, Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Sted, and AP can do their thing under less pressure. Use the running
game and that monster OL to suck the safeties in close, then send Tavon, Givens, Cookie, and Kenny screaming downfield with favorable 1-on-1 coverages. If the DC's adjust by spreading the pass coverage, we pound the LOS with Zac the Mack & Co.

Actually, one of the highlights of this training camp will be seeing the Battering Ram OL face off against the Battering Ram DL! The Incredible Brock says hello to Greg Robinson; The Mighty One renews his acquaintance with Big Bad Jake Long; Beetlejuice lets rookie Aaron Donald know firsthand how life really is like in the pro pits. There's gonna be thunder down in them thar pits!!! These
match ups can only help to make both units even better. Then we can turn them loose against the rest of the NFL.

I would love to see the one-on-one drills between Brockers and Robinson! There might be some earthquakes being reported in St. Louis starting in July!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Clayton.

Has anyone seen Dilfer try to play "shock jock" with him?

Dilfer always seemed to disagree with Clayton in demonstrative fashion. Clayton always seemed uncomfortable with it.