ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has stage IV cancer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sen-takes-leave-of-absence-for-throat-cancer/

Chris Mortensen takes leave of absence for throat cancer
Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2016

tiricojaws1-e1329493054209.jpg
Getty Images

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, a pioneer in the sports-reporter-turned-TV-personality industry, has announced that he will be taking a leave of absence.

“More than a week ago, I was diagnosed with a Stage IV throat cancer,” Mortensen said in a statement issued by ESPN on Friday. “My focus shifted significantly to gathering information about the specifics of this cancer. The initial diagnosis was confirmed Friday and there is another test remaining that will determine the best possible treatment plan that will commence in the very immediate future.”

Mortensen added that he will be temporarily stepping away from his duties to focus on treatment for a disease that strikes 1.7 million Americans per year.

“I have many inspirational examples of men, women and children who have faced this very fight,” Mortensen said. “We all know somebody, right? I also have the love and prayers of my wife Micki, my family, my friends, colleagues and, most of all, my faith that serve as sources of tremendous strength. I have a peace about this and look forward to the battle.”

Mortensen joined ESPN in 1991, becoming a fixture on the network for the last quarter century. I recall looking forward to seeing his “Inside the Huddle” reports on SportsCenter in the days before the Internet, when it was difficult to find extra information about the teams of the NFL beyond the scraps that made it into local newspapers and the broad-brush, big stories that landed in USA Today.

We all indeed have known someone who has battled cancer, and we all now know someone else whose battle will inspire others who face the disease. Our thoughts and prayers will be with Chris and his family during this fight, and we look forward to seeing him back on the air as soon as possible.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I hate this, he was my favorite of the "inside" guys. He was the only one you could consistently believe. Hope he beats it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hate this, he was my favorite of the "inside" guys. He was the only one you could consistently believe. Hope he beats it.

Yeah. Frigg!

Mort was the guy I always wanted to hear from when watching NFL pregame shows. He was among the first guys who's role was to get the scoop on inside info.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My best wishes, I hope he has a speedy recovery!!